All the noise, noise, noise, noise…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Carol W.
    Participant
    Why is it that men of any race seem to enjoy making loud noises, whether it's with power tools, a booming bass or (especially) cars and trucks that have been altered to make more noise? Do they like the noise that motorcycles make? Don't they appreciate quiet?

User Detail :  

Name : Carol W., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 43, City : Fairfax, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

KCE
    Participant
    While I can't answer for the other items you mention, I can answer for motorcycles. They are made louder so other motorists can hear the bikes coming. Many drivers are oblivious to bikes on the road or can't see them. If it is loud, then they are aware of their presence and are less likely to run over them.

User Detail :  

Name : KCE, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 27, City : Orlando, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : scientist, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Betty Blue
    I think this mostly happens when men think there are other men around who they want/need to compete with. Also, it might be territorial, telling other men to back off, which just sets up more challenge. I used to have a straight male roommate who was very mellow and low key, and usually listened to music on headphones. But his voice and electronics immediately got louder when other guys came over. It sounded like they were trying to out-noise each other. I really think it is just another version of one-upsmanship.

User Detail :  

Name : Betty Blue, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 29, City : Southern California, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : administrative, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Matt
    Participant
    Something that's noisy will often sound more powerful, and sometimes actually be more powerful. And if guys own anything mechanized - power tools, cars, motorcycles, you name it - they usually believe that the more power, the better.

User Detail :  

Name : Matt, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 25, City : Oxford, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

hove21333
    Participant
    that's ridiculous. it's the type of person that likes it noisy, not the gender. that type has a majority of men, but the majority of men are not that type. i personally, like it quiet. ambient music, appreciate stillness of snow covered nights, etc. but I admit, a good loud explosion is fun every now and then...

User Detail :  

Name : hove21333, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 36, City : waltham, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : software engr, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

duke-l25690
    Participant
    I don't think much of it has to do with the noise. We like power tools because they enable us to do things that we might not have time to do by hand. I sometimes use hand tools and take longer just because i hate the noise the power tools make. I only used a leaf blower once and gave it away because i would rather rake and enjoy the quiet, but my yard is fairly small. Do people that use food processors use them because they enjoy the noise?

User Detail :  

Name : duke-l25690, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 44, City : pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : educator, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Greg
    I like booming bass and playing drums and running around shouting because it's energizing, in a way. It's a very satisfying expression of however I feel. Not exactly a direct analog, but there's this sort of resonance between me and the sound, like singing in tune with a group of people. And of course I appreciate quiet; don't you appreciate sound?

User Detail :  

Name : Greg, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 19, City : Oakland, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Bastian
    Participant
    Quiet guys get no attention, neither from other men nor from most women. To get noticed, you need to be heard above the din. To inspire the awe of other men, you need to be the loudest one in the room. Noise is only one way to be loud, too - I've definitely noticed a correlation between loud sounds like stereos and other forms of flashiness, like dress and speech patterns.

User Detail :  

Name : Bastian, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 22, City : Nashville, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : varies, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Michael20703
    Participant
    I can enjoy cacophony, but judging from the direction my philosophical ideas tend, this is probably closer to the 'noise' of punk rock. However, I also enjoy serene environments where I can be alone with my thoughts (and cats *g*).

User Detail :  

Name : Michael20703, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : bi-curious (mostly straight), Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 20, City : Livingston, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : undergrad, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Jeremy19990
    Participant
    First of all its a Power thing more noise = more power ( insert Tim Taylor grunt here ) second a Harley Davidson would not be a Harley with out the Distinctive Rumble any motercycle rider will tell you that the stereo thing is what happens when a electronics geek is Raised by a gearhead and yes we appreciate quiet when we want quiet we go hunting we want quiet when there is an increadibly tense moment during a sports game and importantly after sex our attention was so tightly foucused that we need some quiet to reasses the situation around us its a extreamly primitive & primal reason but it is apart of us as males its just a guy thing

User Detail :  

Name : Jeremy19990, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : Human, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 30, City : Huntington, State : WV Country : United States, Occupation : Dishwasher, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

J. Bartholoma
    Participant
    For me, I am in drumline, and when band rolls around, I'm usualy a little ticked off. However, by the end I've usualy got a smile on my face, just from the sheer joy of being able to make that much noise. It's my natural high, and I honestly enjoy seeing how loud I can crash cymbols together, so long as I'm not hurting anyone's ears. And it can be a good form of revenge.

User Detail :  

Name : J. Bartholoma, Gender : Male, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Age : 15, City : Bloomfield Hills, State : MI Country : United States, 
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.