All about Buddhism

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

J. Hecker
    What are some of the best resources to begin learning more about Buddhism and what it takes to become a Buddhist?

User Detail :  

Name : J. Hecker, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

OMara32466
    Participant
    I think your first step is to ask yourself why you want to practice Buddhism? What are you trying to accomplish personal or spiritually? I suggest you go to the temple and ask questions. I was born into a family of Buddist but I did not practice the religion like my family because I did not understand what the chanting meant plus there were so many other religions and I wanted to pick and choose a faith that is suitable for me. After studying the different religions I decided to also study Buddhism more in details and I must tell you all religions have fault. I chose Buddist because it soothing, you don’t have to go to the temple every Sunday, we believe you practice goodness within your home, everywhere you go, and in your everyday life, it simple to follow, and not at confusing. The few teachings that I follow are: 1 – Treat others, as you want to be treat 2 – Respect all creations 3 – No adultery 4 – No stealing, killing, etc 5 – Your life should be balance too much of anything is not good 6 – Treat your body/home like a temple which mean don’t endanger it 7 – Don’t take advance of people 8 – Look within yourself for answers and if you can’t answer it asked God 9 – Help those that need help, if you can. 10 –Reincarnation, which mean when you die you will come back as something else if you did not learn your life lessons with the first time you were on earth. 11 – What go around come around? If you want to learn more please call 301-622-6544, address: 13800 New Hampshire Ave, Silver Spring, MD 20904. P.S. We celebrate our New Year on April 14 & 15 and we normally have a big gathering at the above address but call for the exact date of the New Year.

User Detail :  

Name : OMara32466, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 33, City : Germantown, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : Executive Asst., Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

June
    Participant
    'The Buddha in Your Mirror' is a great book that offers an understandable introduction to Nichiren Buddhism, which is the path I follow. Online you can check out www.sgi-usa.org. SGI (Soka Gakkai International) is the lay organization of Nichiren Buddhists, and there are chapters all over the place. I am sure that there is one in Philadelphia, and probably several. Also, feel free to contact me at my email address.

User Detail :  

Name : June, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 24, City : Brooklyn, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Non profit, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rick29859
    Participant
    The best website for info. on any religion is www.religioustolerance.com After checking that out, go to your library.

User Detail :  

Name : Rick29859, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Springfield, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

L. Bennett
    J., Start with the local library, check out the Dhammapada (Buddha's teachings) and 'Being Peace' by Thich Nhat Hanh. Also, look up Buddhist/meditation centers in your phone book. Most centers offer a meditation night, weekly, open to the community and the curious. Good luck on your search and many blessings!

User Detail :  

Name : L. Bennett, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, City : Baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mary
    Participant
    Because you live in Philadelphia, you might want to check out the Philadelphia Buddhist Association. Their website is www.philabuddhistassoc.org. They are a good resource. Also, 'Garland of Letters' on South Street has a wealth of books about Buddhism.

User Detail :  

Name : Mary, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 28, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : social work, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

L26167
    Participant
    I'd highly recommend 'What the Buddha Taught' by Rahula Walpola for an introduction to the philosophy of Buddhism, and 'Being Nobody, Going Nowhere' by Ayya Khema for an introduction to the practice. Both are extremely informative.

User Detail :  

Name : L26167, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Unitarian, Age : 24, City : Ann Arbor, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : grad student, 

Pat
    Participant
    Here, two links to lot's of buddist sites. http://www.dharmaring.org/ http://i.webring.com/hub?ring=buddhism&id=118&hub I highly recommend 'awakening the buddha within', well written and humorous, it's geared to an American audience. Buddhism is about awakening your higher potential, although there are sciptures, they are not 'laws' but educational, although there are some common beliefs, buddhism is non demominational, and is non-theist.

User Detail :  

Name : Pat, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 41, City : phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : professional, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

George
    The 'About' Web site (http://buddhism.about.com) has a nice overview and lots of links. It gives fair and comprehensive treatment to the various schools of Buddhism, though a bit heavy on Zen.

User Detail :  

Name : George, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 54, City : Toronto, Ontario, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Evaluation researcher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.