Aging Drivers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Mike
    Participant
    The recent events in Santa Monica, CA where an 86 year-old man plowed his car through a farmer's market and killed 10 people has re-opened the debate on driver's license requirements for elderly people. My question is: why are lobby groups such as the AARP and many senior citizens so against more stringent testing of elderly drivers given that slowing of reflexes, loss of hearing and eyesight capabilities and impaired movement are so common among people older than 70?

User Detail :  

Name : Mike, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 42, City : Ben Lomand, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

ShirleyAvery
    Participant
    My mom is 86 and we've discouraged her to drive. REcently 2 doctors advised the same and one offered to sign legal papers if necessary to forbid her to drive. Frankly, I think all drivers should have to re-take the driving test every 10 years. I believe AARP feels that IF OLDER DRIVERS PROVE CAPABLE, able to pass vision and driving tests, they should not be forbidden to drive based solely on age. AFter all the highest insurance premiums are for teenage male drivers. They're the ones who tend to take stupid risks and drive too fast. Just Curious

User Detail :  

Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dot
    Participant
    Surely you've noticed that any moron with a pulse can get a license in this state. Why would they single age out as a deterrent to driving when knowledge of the rules, basic English, moderate anger management control and simple baseline intelligence are not taken into consideration?

User Detail :  

Name : Dot, Gender : Female, Age : none, City : L.A., State : CA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.