African American tipping in restuarants

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    I work in a restaurant as a waitress and I have noticed that African American people rarely tip and if they do it is far below 15%. Why is that? Other people I work with noticed the same thing. We don't want to be discriminatory but it is hard when you know that at the end of waiting on a certain table, you won't get a tip. It is hard for wait staff because we make far below minimum wage and rely heavily on tips.

User Detail :  

Name : Carrianne N., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 23, City : Macomb, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Waitress, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Dan
    I have no answer to this, but working as a waiter/manager all over michigan for the last 18 years either I have noticed or have had my workers complain to me that african americans 95% of the time don't tip, or tip very little. When I worked in Detroit I thought it was because many in the city were poor..but this happened in places such as Troy...West Bloomfield...very rich cities. I thought another reason might be because I was a male...but since I have been a manager I have had male/females white/black/etc... all complain about this. Now don't get me wrong ...African Amercians are not the only race that does not tip...ALL of them do that in my experience....but not to the degree of 95% ...or even 30% to be honest. Hope my experiences does not throw me in the 'racist' group of people.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan, Gender : Male, Disability : diabetes and lyme desease, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 34, City : Auburn Hills, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Computers, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ann
    Participant
    They may never have been taught how to tip. A lot of people have never learned this skill, and either don't tip or grossly undertip. They may also be Afro-racists who don't tip you because you're white, but it's highly Un-PC to even think that...

User Detail :  

Name : Ann, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Animist, Age : 39, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Executive Assistant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Sherry20830
    Participant
    I'm a black female who always leaves a 20 percent tip when dining at restaurants. I give pizza delivery drivers 10 to 20 percent tips. I also tip taxi drivers and retail stock clerks who help me lift heavy items at the store. Don't expect me to speak for other black people because this is not feasible. However, this black female always tips!

User Detail :  

Name : Sherry20830, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 25, City : Fort Worth, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Nurse, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

sheree
    Participant
    I AM A BARTNEDER AND I HAVE WAITED TABLES ALSO. I AM AN AFRO AMER. FEMALE AND ITS NOT JUST A RACE ISSUE. I GREW UP WITH A FATHER THAT WOULD LEAVE A 50.00 TIP . I TOO HAVE NOTICED THAT. I THINK IT IS AN ISSUE OF PEOPLE THAT GO OUT TO EAT ON A REGULAR BASIS AND NOT JUST FOR SPECIAL OCCASSIONS ARE BETTER TIPPERS. BLACK PEOPLE TEND TO EAT AT HOME MORE AND COOK MEALS AND WHITE PEOPLE TEND TO EAT OUT A LOT AND NOT COOK AT HOME. JUST THINK ABOUT THE CUSTOMERS U SEE REGULARLY MOST OF THEM ARE PROBABLY WHITE. WHEN U EAT OUT ENOUGH I HAVE FOUND YOU ARE A BETTER TIPPER BECAUSE U SEE THINGS DIFFERENT AND U KNOW THAT THE MAIN SOURCE OF INCOME IS OFF THAT TABLE! WE MUST STICK 2 GETHER BLACK/WHITE AND MAKE THEM DOLLARS. MAYBE EVERYONE WILL TIP 20% IF WE TAKE OUT A FULL PAGE AD IN THE USA TODAY!!!!(lol) i have considered it

User Detail :  

Name : sheree, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 30, City : anniston, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : INSURANCE SALES, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Brad28587
    Participant
    A lot of people who are in a lower economic bracket tend not to be able to afford to eat out Even fewer can afford to tip appropiately: This constantly includes (but is not limited too) some Black people Bottom line? Those who have more tip more

User Detail :  

Name : Brad28587, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : THIRTY THREE, City : Winchester, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Computer tech, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

C28593
    Participant
    The key problem here is one of education. Many African Americans are comming from a background of poverty, and therefore the 'life knowledge' education may not be there for people to know that 15% is now the courtesty for the basis of gratuity. I think it would be better if the restaraunt industry just included the tip in meal cost same as many European countries

User Detail :  

Name : C28593, City : Pontiac, State : MI Country : United States, 

Me28898
    Participant
    I really dont know why they dont tip, it might be a cultural or manners thing.I used to work as a waitress and noticed the same thing.

User Detail :  

Name : Me28898, City : Milord, State : CT Country : Venezuela, 
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.