African-American parents

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Brian
    What kind of exercise issues are important to African American parents in America and what sports are emphasized?

User Detail :  

Name : Brian, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 22, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

annonymous
    Participant
    Brian: Both of my parents were quite the athletes in their youth. They lived for the sports activites sponsored at the recreaction centers in their neighborhoods. My parents were bowlers and softball players. My mother played tennis and track&field. My father was an avid softball player and bowler. Personally, I ran track, threw the shot put,and ran cross country in high school. Actually, earned my varsity letters, too. As an adult, I got involved with bodybuilding even competed in a few local amature shows. I taught aerobics until my 38week of my last pregnancy (I was 30 at the time and had almost 10 years experience).I've trained with professional trainers off and on throughout the years. Principally, I have concentrated on cardiovascular activities with a great passion for strenght and toning exercises as well. Neither my parents nor have I formally sought to encourage my children (both girls) to participate in any particular sports. However, by example I have stressed to my oldest (my youngest is only 4) to be proactive with her health. Diabetes, heart disease, and obestity is rampanant on both sides of my family. Consequently, I consciously chose to keep these evils at bay with regards to my own health by being physically fit. My oldest enjoys swimming, basketball, played little league baseball one year, and track. She's more a recreational athlete. She plays for the sheer fun of it. Recently, she enrolled in an aerobics class and really enjoys it. May I ask why you asked the question? Have you noticed some marked differences among races?

User Detail :  

Name : annonymous, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 34, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, 
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.