African-American children’s names

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 70 total)
  • Author

teenager
    Participant
    it's not your place to say whether or not it is needed and define ghetto, i'm sure it does not mean what you are implying. besides you know your name was like that you just want to act boss.

User Detail :  

Name : teenager, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 14, City : baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Jessica
    Participant
    It's not an 'always' thing. I'm originally from Colorado, and I didn't hear a single strange name for a black person until I moved to Florida. Now I'm surrounded by Laquisha, Vshati and Latiera. I'm not sure why parents are choosing these names, but it sure does get them attention. Is it because they want the attention? I think it's simply silly, actually. Will we ever have a Secretary of State named Vshati?

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 

Sharon
    Participant
    I cannot believe you've been on this earth 72 years and have never come across a white person with a crazy name. I agree, African-American children sometimes have unusual names, but 'always'? Come on. Do you mean to tell us that you really think that? My name is Sharon. Is that unusual to you? I work for a school district, and I can give you many names of white children that are weird or different. How about Chelc? It's pronounced 'Chelsea.' Yeah, her parents think the spelling is cool. Or how about a boy I know named Hunter Green? You don't come across that every day! People name their children unusual names to be different, or sometimes they don't think the name is weird. But others do. I guess you forgot about Gwyneth Paltrow's baby: Apple. And Demi Moore has daughters named Rumer, Scout and Tallulah. But I suppose those are all regular names, huh?

User Detail :  

Name : Sharon, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, City : Clinton Township, State : MI Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class, 
    ...however, we DO have one named Condoleeza. Is she any less intelligent because of HER name? Would you feel her name is 'ignorant' or 'ghetto' if she worked in a fast food joint??

User Detail :  

Name : Rhonda-P-Outlaw27372, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 43, City : Laurelton, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Account Representative, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Tammie M.
    Participant
    I am very disappointed with what we tend to name our children. Some of us don't realize that it may cripple our children's future in the workforce. No matter how much we want to believe it's equal out there, it's not, and a lot of times we are judged or discriminated against by our names, even before they see our faces or qualifications. I named my child an afrocentric name (Ashanti, from the African tribe - it has several meanings). Yes, they'll know she's black, but at least she can spell it.

User Detail :  

Name : Tammie M., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 29, City : Memphis, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : Customer Service Rep, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

J-Alvarado
    Participant
    Roland Fryer and Stephen D. Levitt have written a paper called 'The Causes and Consequences of Distinctively Black Names.' Their paper seems to indicate the most likely explanation is the so-called 'identity-model;' those parents who give their child a distinctively black name view the act as conferring a benefit while giving a white name is viewed as having a social cost. The rise of the Black Power movement is associated with the increase in distinctively black names.

User Detail :  

Name : J-Alvarado, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Mixed Hispanic/Black, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 34, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Peter-S
    Participant
    I guess you forgot our Secretary of State has an unusual name, too: Condoleeza? Who normally names their children that? That's an obvious unique name

User Detail :  

Name : Peter-S, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 21, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Erika25250
    Participant
    If you take a look at a book of African-American baby names you will notice that what you call unusual has roots in African-American culture. Although you may not find all of the recent black children's names, the more recent generations are only shaping old names into something new.

User Detail :  

Name : Erika25250, Gender : F, Age : 20, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Leslie22898
    Participant
    All African-American children don't have unusual names, although many do. Many black people give their children distinct names to emphasize and honor their African heritage. Others do it because it has become the 'fad' or customary among their peers. There is also a class issue at play here. Many middle-class and upper-class black parents may name a daughter 'Ayanna' or 'Nia,' where lower-income blacks may tend to name a daughter 'DeShontay', etc. Keep in mind that many black parents choose typical, mainstream names: the Courtneys, Kellys, Gillians, etc. There's much variation when it comes to name-choice.

User Detail :  

Name : Leslie22898, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

DAVID22001
    Participant
    IT IS TRUE THEY LIKE THE SOUND OF THE NAMES; LIKE 'CIANTI' OR 'CHANDELLERA'

User Detail :  

Name : DAVID22001, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Catholic, Age : 21, City : DALLAS, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

Dwanny
    Participant
    Cutesy names suck for anyone. And yes, no one will take a CEO seriously with a cutesy name. I'm glad I didn't get stuck with names like Bambi, Tiffany, etc. I rebelled against Susie long ago-I look nothing like a Susie. (petite, blonde, cheerleader type) I had a friend who had a good description of names like Takeesha and Laquesha-scrabble names. Someone took a Scrabble game and dumped out the tiles and made a name up out of what they picked out. I think ppl that name their kids weird names should be charged with child abuse.

User Detail :  

Name : Dwanny, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 53, City : Springtown, State : TX Country : United States, 

Erica
    Participant
    I'm only aggravated at people in general (of all races) who name their children after the very mortal celebrity of the moment: I.E. Elvis, Orlando, Ewan, Paris, Selena, Celine, Beyonce, Ashanti, Aaliyah, and the latest Ciara. Don't people realize that perhaps your kids when they grow up might have wanted you to be a little more creative rather than naming them after some silly celebrity. The reverse is true as well...celebrities need to get a grip when they name their kids. Pilot Inspector (Jason scott lee), Moxie Crimefighter (penn jillet), and CoCo (Courteney Cox --- notice the name CoCo is the first two letters of her first and last names - in love with yourself much Mrs. Cox-Arquette?) Think about poor little Apple going to school and getting made fun of. No child deserves something like that especially when the parents are responsible. Just be sensible is all I am saying...to EVERYONE

User Detail :  

Name : Erica, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 25, City : Alexandria, State : LA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

K Kelley
    Participant
    I am an African-American mother of three daughters, with the same father, all in wedlock, whose names were all specifically chosen to protect them from the gross generalizations you have just chosen. Their names are neither male- nor female-specific, nor give any reference to a particular group. For example, my daughter's name is Sydney, typically a white, Jewish name. Some have chosen to name their children these names to reflect a strong cultural reference, nothing more.

User Detail :  

Name : K Kelley, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 29, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Exec, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
    There is a long history of creating 'alternative' names in African-American communities.. Taking a traditional Euro name and giving it a 'twist', as it were, thus making the name, and the child, more 'unique'. The specific rationale varies from person to person. Now, there are plenty of names derived from Arabic and African languages (Swahili, others) that sound totally 'made up' by certain people without that cultural frame of reference; 'Kwame', for example. In Alex Haley's novel 'Roots', a female is given the name 'Kizzie', which meant 'Stay Put' in Kunta Kinte's native tongue. So on one level, there may be some names you come across that have 'legitimate' sources in linguistic vernacular, but you're just not aware of the source. .. Now, as far as the whole phenomenon of 'DarKeesha' 'Oceana' and 'DeMontell' goes, it's really the parent's personal likes and cultural frame of reference. There are those who do alternate spellings on purpose: 'Angel' becomes 'Aunjel', for example. There are frequent prefixes that are often applied to traditional names: they include, but are not limited to: De, Que, Dar, Shar, Che, La, Sha.. Suffixes include Ell, Rell, Ika, Eka, Ida, Eeta... and many more.. Thus John can become 'Johnell' (boy or girl), Lynn can become 'Sharlynn', etc. Within the black community, some people have a very skeptical view of it, and others embrace it.. Some feel it potentially 'labels' a child as they pursue higher education and a career. Others feel it shouldn't matter.. I think it's the parents' prerogative. If they think it's pretty/handsome, then fine. However, if a parent is not sure the exact meaning or the traditional spelling of a name, they should do some research. I work for a social service agency doing intake/referrals. We have to take basic background information on clients. Talking to a young woman who had a two- year old boy, I asked the child's name. Without missing a beat, she said 'Diablo'. I didn't react nor pry, but I found it curious. I'm no Spanish scholar, but I do know that diablo is Spanish for 'devil'.

User Detail :  

Name : christopher, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 30, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : student/journalism, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Dayle
    Participant
    I sadly agree. I don't understand why African-American parents give their children often unpronouncable names. And yes, I believe it can be detrimental when job seeking. An unusual (African?) name is automatically stereotypical (in a negative way), especially when the interviewer cannot even pronounce it. I am a white female who not only has a male name, it's spelled differently. I am 46 and have spent my whole life telling people how to spell my name - and it's not that unusual, just spelled in a more 'female' way. Imagine a poor child with an unusual name - they too have to tell everyone how to spell it. My nieces (white females) all have little girls with 'traditional' names, but basically spelled wrong. Jazmyn (Jasmine) and Khloe (Chloe) - we in the family can't even spell them; poor girls will have that for the rest of their lives...

User Detail :  

Name : Dayle, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 46, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Retired Navy, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.