Abortion common outside the U.S.?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

J.P.
    Is abortion as common in other places in the world as it is in the United States?

User Detail :  

Name : J.P., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 27, City : Exeter, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Clerical, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Luis22479
    Participant
    Yes. As a matter of fact, even though its common, U.S. has one of the lower abortion rates. Eastern Europe presently leads the world in abortion rates, particularly Russia. Cuba and Colombia also have fairly high abortion rates.

User Detail :  

Name : Luis22479, Gender : M, Age : 30, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, 

Laura G.
    I'm from the Dominican Republic, and I can tell you that abortion is as common there as it is here in the United States. The difference is that it is not as widely spoken or acceptable. Women just do it without telling anyone, sometimes not even their best friends. I know many people there who have aborted, and I can assure it is a very common resource. I don't recommend it or agree with it personally. Nevertheless people sometimes don't have the knowledge or means to do it, and they just keep having children and let them on the streets.

User Detail :  

Name : Laura G., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Christian, Age : 24, City : Hollywood, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Anna
    Participant
    Ooooooooooooooooh yeah.There are around 46 million abortions per year.. which is like... 125,000 per day. Only 1,370,000 abortions occur in the US per year. One of every two pregnancies end in abortion worldwide.

User Detail :  

Name : Anna, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 17, City : Memphis, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Bunny
    Participant
    Here's a page with some statistics: http://www.agi-usa.org/pubs/fb_0599.html The United States doesn't have that high a rate compared to the rest of the world. China has a very high abortion rate due to the one child policy, as do a lot of Eastern European countries -- it is a legacy of Communism when contraception was not readily available but abortion was. Asian countries have high rates as well; again it's a combinaiton of lack of knowledge about and availability of contraception and legality/accessibility of abortion. The lowest abortion rates are in countries where it is illegal and/or hard to obtain, as well as in countries where sex education and contraception are very available.

User Detail :  

Name : Bunny, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 24, City : Gross, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Researcher, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

ACC25133
    Participant
    In my travels in Latin America and Asia, and from my sister living in Europe, I would say there are far fewer abortions just about everywhere else. The United States combines the worst of both anti and pro abortion points of view to make the practice very common, legalizing abortion but stigmatizing both birth control and children outside of marriage. In Latin America, Cathlolic beliefs make women far less likely to have an abortion, but more importantly there is far less stigma about having kids out of wedlock (for adult women) and a far stronger system of extended family support to raise the kids. In the Philippines, abortion is outlawed and women who try to have them are social outcasts. There are even folk stories about 'half bodies,' ghostlike floating upper torsos of women who had abortions. In Japan and Korea and most of Europe, there are far fewer abortions because the young are taught about birth control. The one exception I've heard is in Russia, where good condoms were hard to come by before the fall of the Soviet Union. Since abortions were more readily available, women used them for birth control.

User Detail :  

Name : ACC25133, Gender : M, Race : Mexican and American Indian, Religion : Catholic mixed with American Indian beliefs, City : San Antonio, State : TX Country : United States, 

Ashley
    Participant
    In Russia they actually have 13 abortions for every 10 births(and a drastically declining population but that's another story)

User Detail :  

Name : Ashley, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Pasco, State : WA Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Rosie B
    In the UK abortions are available and free. However their is also alot of support for women who want abortions in order to make that choice. The abortion has to be agreed by 2 doctors and (although practically on demand before) it can be hard to get 2 doctors agree after about 15 weeks. The legal limit is 24 weeks. In Russia there are 3 times more abortions than live births!!!

User Detail :  

Name : Rosie B, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 16, City : Manchester, State : AL Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.