A sprinkle a day … or night?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Sarah-C28163
    Participant
    I've always showered at night, and so has my family. I was taught that it's better to shower at night because you don't bring the grime of the day to bed with you. Recently I've realized how many of my white friends shower in the morning. A friend told me Westerners in general shower in the morning; Easterners at night. Is this a racial thing? Cultural thing? Familial preference?

User Detail :  

Name : Sarah-C28163, Gender : F, Race : Asian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 24, City : San Francisco area, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Danielle27250
    Participant
    I've always showered in the morning, and so has my family. I have to shower in the morning because: 1) There's nothing else that wakes me up like a hot shower, and 2) I have curly hair and can't brush it dry, so it needs to be washed in the morning.

Perhaps, since Asians generally have straight hair, it's easier for them to shower at night, as they can just brush it in the morning.

User Detail :  

Name : Danielle27250, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 27, City : Southern, State : NJ Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Bella23348
    Participant
    I'm Black and I'm from the Caribbean where it's hot year round. Back home, my family showers in the morning to be fresh for work and then again in the evening to wash away the grime of the day. Now that I live in the United States, I follow that same routine on most days. However, on the days when I take only one shower, it's usually taken in the morning, to be clean for work. I feel funny leaving the house without a bath.

User Detail :  

Name : Bella23348, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Afro-Caribbean, Religion : Christian, Age : 30, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : admin assistant, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Elaine25293
    Participant
    I'm Black and I do both. I go to a fitness center most every evening, so I always shower before I go to bed. When I don't go to the center in the evening, I shower in the morning. Six in one hand, half a dozen in the other.

User Detail :  

Name : Elaine25293, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 54, City : Newport News, State : VA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Eurasian
    Participant
    Sarah, don't laugh, but for most of my adult life I've been taking two showers a day just to reconcile the two halves of myself! I'm half Asian and half Caucasian and was raised in two countries, one in the East and one in the West. It seems that many Westerners regard the morning shower as a kind of wake-up call and a psychological message that a new day has started. And then again, many Asians (at least those of my family) regard it as a necessary and vital thing to be able to wash the grime and dirt of the daily grind away in the evening. I would love to know the real reasons behind this behavior. Until then, I guess I'll just continue with my two long showers a day.

User Detail :  

Name : Eurasian, City : Osaka, State : NA Country : Japan, 

Brian23058
    Participant
    I have showered in the morning ever since junior high school. This way I'm 100 percent clean when I go to school, and now a decade or so later, to work. If you shower at night and then go straight to work the next morning, you have the 'night sweats' and grime you accumulate over that eight hours. Also, I like to comb my hair for the day while it is wet and clean. The only real argument I can see for night showering is that you can move to work a lot faster in the morning. Also, it probably keeps your bed cleaner. But in the end, count me a morning shower guy.

User Detail :  

Name : Brian23058, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Age : 27, City : Kokomo, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : management, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rick29971
    Participant
    I shower in the morning and at night before going to bed as well. Sometimes in the summer I shower in the middle of the day, too. I guess it's personal preference but I love water.

User Detail :  

Name : Rick29971, Gender : M, Age : 40, City : Oakland, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Management, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Tracy24872
    Participant
    Unless I have a special reason for showering in the morning or afternoon (for example, I get back from an early-morning aerobics class or have been working in the garden all morning and quit at 1:30 p.m.), I shower at night. It is more convenient for me, and I don't have to get up so early in the morning to take a shower, wash my hair, dry it, etc.

User Detail :  

Name : Tracy24872, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Edmond, State : OK Country : United States, 

Annie23908
    Participant
    I think it's a matter of preference. When I was a child, I always took baths at night, but as I got older, I discovered I preferred having just-washed hair when I went to school. I've stuck to the morning showers, for the most part, unless I'm really filthy, sweaty or whatever. However, my sister is strictly a nightly bath or shower person. Because I wash my hair every day, I would rather wash it in the morning.

User Detail :  

Name : Annie23908, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 51, City : Lawrenceville, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : copy editor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Alex29064
    Participant
    I shower during the morning for two reasons: the first is that it's a pleasant way to start the daya that really wakes me up and makes combing my hair easier. The second, and main reason, is that I sweat a great deal at night and due to my dreams often wake in a cold sweat.

User Detail :  

Name : Alex29064, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 19, City : Beloit, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Senetra28035
    Participant
    I feel better if I shower before I go to bed. It relaxes me, and I sleep better, I think. But sometimes I do shower in the morning.

User Detail :  

Name : Senetra28035, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 28, City : Anderson, State : IN Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Jean
    Participant
    I have never been taught to shower at any specific time. I think most Americans, however, feel that by showering in the morning, it is not only a refreshing way to wake up, but also a way to be sure one does not smell when going about the day. As for me, I shower at either time, depending on my schedule.

User Detail :  

Name : Jean, Gender : F, Age : 30, City : White Lake, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Suzanne27508
    Participant
    I,personally agree with the previous posters who said they shower both in the moring when they wake up and then again before retiring for the evening. That is also my practice - although I may take the whole shower thing a bit far - I also shower mid-day - but usually because I go to the gym on my lunch break and don't feel like returning to work all sweaty and smelly (don't think my co-workers would much appreciate it either).

User Detail :  

Name : Suzanne27508, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 30, City : Dorchester Ontario, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Pharmasist, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Dee25800
    Participant
    Many whites shower in the morning primarily due to the practice of washing their hair daily i.e. to rid of natural oils. Because taking a shower is a convenient way to do this, the practice of showering in the morning rather than at night is simply more practical. However, in some cases whites simply prefer a morning shower over a night one so it's a matter of preference.

User Detail :  

Name : Dee25800, City : Cleveland, State : OH Country : United States, 

Wayne-C
    Participant
    I was taught to shower at night, especially during the winter, because the hot shower makes your pores open and you might be susceptible to catching cold during the day. Now, this may be an 'old wives' tale,' but it is what I was taught. During high school I began to shower in the morning. It's a great 'wake-me-up,' and I tend to sweat considerably while I sleep. So the shower prevents me from smelling 'sweaty' when I go to work in the morning. I only shower at night if I am really dirty or sweaty.

User Detail :  

Name : Wayne-C, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 41, City : Parsippany, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Marketing, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.