A sheet between?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Karen F.
    I was told that in the Russian culture, when a man and women have sexual intercourse, there is a sheet between them because their skin must not touch. Is this true?

User Detail :  

Name : Karen F., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 43, City : West Sacramento, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : human resources, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Campbell McGregor
    Participant
    This is the first I have heard of this. Oddly, this is a persistent but untrue legend about Jews, i.e. that they make love through a hole in a sheet, but this is the first time I have heard it about Russians. We can only speculate why it became transferred: Is it because for many years the Russians were the 'other' in American culture, in the same way that the Jews were in Western culture for many years - although you might have expected it to crop up during the Cold War rather than a few years later. Can we expect to hear it about the Muslims soon?

User Detail :  

Name : Campbell McGregor, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : asperger's syndrome, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 43, City : Glasgow, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : school crossing patroller, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

JerryS
    Participant
    Among Orthodox Jews, it is traditional for the husband and wife to have sex through a hole in a sheet. The reason is not so that they don't see or touch one another, but rather so that the sheet will absorb the blood from her hymen, proving that she is a virgin and also protecting her husband (to some degree) from contact with the blood. This is only for their first intercourse. Perhaps there's a similar tradition among Russians.

User Detail :  

Name : JerryS, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : New Britain, State : CT Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Anastassia
    Participant
    My advice to you would be not to believe fables. I am Russian and my first reaction when I read your question was hysterical laughter. I grew up in Russia and, believe me, have never heard of anything like that. Try asking your source where s/he got it from - it's really funny.

User Detail :  

Name : Anastassia, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 21, City : Madison, State : WI Country : United States, Occupation : Student, 

Michal-Lastor
    Participant
    umm my mom is from russia and ive never heard this before, infact my moms familly is very touchy feely with the kisses on the cheek. . . the works. Ive often heard that religious jews practice this but thats not true either. I think its just an urban legtend type thing used to put down a certain race religion ethnicity etc.

User Detail :  

Name : Michal-Lastor, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Jewish, Age : 16, City : DC, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper class, 

Lena
    Participant
    What an absolutely weird nonsense! Only an American with their Pharisee puritan ideas could think of such a stupid thing about Russians.

User Detail :  

Name : Lena, City : Moscow, State : NA Country : Russia, 

Lily
    As a Russian Jew with mostly ultra-Orthodox relatives, I can confidently say that this is true neither of Russians nor of Orthodox Jews.

User Detail :  

Name : Lily, Gender : F, Religion : Jewish, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

j21255
    Participant
    This was featured in the Spanish (or maybe Mexica) movie 'Like Water for Chocolate,' and I'm pretty sure nobody in that movie was either Russian -or- Jewish.

User Detail :  

Name : j21255, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 34, City : chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Healthcare, Social class : Middle class, 

Kari
    I was reading the book called Like Water For Chocolate about life on a MExican ranch at the turn of the century, and in it they talk about a sheet that is made for the newlyweds on their first night or marriage. It is like a regular sheet but has a hole in it so the couple can have sex and is only used that one night that they consumate their marriage.

User Detail :  

Name : Kari, Gender : F, Race : American Indian, Age : 19, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, 

Todd
    Participant
    Haluhka (Jewish Law) does require a sheet when your new wife CLAIMS she is a virgin to show blood, but there is nothing in the law about a 'hole in the sheet'...Jewish law also realizes a woman's hymen might have been broken for another non-sexual (accident) reason.

User Detail :  

Name : Todd, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, 
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.