A non-Japanese geisha?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hanna
    Can a woman of non-Japanese origin, i.e. black/white/Latino, become a geisha

User Detail :  

Name : Hanna, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 18, City : Kotka, State : NA Country : Finland, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Kristina
    I do not know for sure the answer to this, because the concept of the 'geisha' has changed over time, and also I am not Japanese. However, from what I've read on the subject, geishas were entertainers, equivalent to what an actress is today. I mean, although it was an expression of Japanese culture, I don't think it was race-based at all. However, keeping in mind present racism that may be apparent in the Japanese culture (accepting whites fully but rejecting blacks), it is possible that a white woman that tries to be a geisha is accepted more than a black woman that does the same thing. But then again, it may be viewed as a form of mockery. But, as I said before I'm not Japanese, so this is all my opinion.

User Detail :  

Name : Kristina, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : Transcriber, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Crystal
    A white American woman named Liza Dalby became a geisha in Japan in the 1970s and wrote a book about her experiences, called 'Geisha.' (It's a very good book and well worth reading.) So apparently the answer is 'yes' - if a non-Japanese woman can immerse herself in the culture and find a geisha to take her under her wing, as Dalby did.

User Detail :  

Name : Crystal, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 39, City : Oakland, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Monique20349
    Participant
    I agree with the other lady who responded. However, FINDING a genuine geisha is pretty hard nowadays... There aren't very many around anymore.

User Detail :  

Name : Monique20349, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 18, City : Monterey, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.