Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
KatieMemberWhen you grow up rich, usually you don’t know it untill you know what NOT growing up rich is like. When i was younger in my girl scout troop, we went to detroit for some meeting, while at mcdonalds we saw (what i know now to be homeless) a man picking through the garbage, having a faint idea of what was going on, all the girls in the troop donated 1/2 their lunches to the man, and it was fun in a way. Back then it was just a glimpse, the further away you are from it, the more adults tend to keep you from it. Now that I am older, I am afraid to offend anyone by such a gesture.- how stupid is that! Also, as I drive through Detroit to get to my families house in Grosse Pointe, I feel bad that others have to live in such conditions, but part of me feels like ‘why can’t they jsut pull themselves out of it.’ Unfortunetly, I know that is not always a reality. About the ‘wrong side of the tracks’ I never wanted to be there, because I knew I could use it to my defense. I am very much a goody-goody when it comes to the typical ‘bad kid stuff’ When I am late for curfew I will say things to my parents to the effect of ‘Your lucky I’m your kid, I could be addicted to drugs, pregnant or out of control. But instead I am top in my class, oustanding at what I do, etc. etc.’ It seems wrong writing it now, to use that kind of persuasion with my parents, but if it gets me out of trouble – and its true, so it seems justified. To add, one day I would love to bring home a nice guy from the ‘other side of the tracks’ and to prove to my parents that the other side doesn’t mean the wrong side 🙂 also I’ve always loved the song uptown girl, and living in uptown everyone’s an uptown girl, i’d like to have a downtown man so I can be his uptown girl. there is a certain attraction to someone who has had more life expereince then you, even being as old as you. To speak of, I have had no real ‘life altering’ expereinces, there simply doesn’t seem as if there is anything that strong where i grew up. *disclaimer!! atlesat in my community that I have experienced* Poverty is a heavy burden to bear, but those who over come, or simply live with it, must be strong, because damn, someitmes its hard enough being a upper middle class poster child. I admire you for all you might have or will go through.
User Detail :
Name : Katie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 18, City : Bloomfield Hills, State : MI, Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class,
KatieMemberan inheritance comes from somewhere. at one point in time, someone worked for that they have. i know my parents want the best for me and for me to have a better life then them – and I know this is true for all walks of life. why is inheriting something that a family member worked for so evil?
User Detail :
Name : Katie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 18, City : Bloomfield Hills, State : MI, Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class,
KatieMemberyou can act black? i didn’t know there was such a revelation, i thought people were people, unless we are again purposely discriminating. how can a habit, speech, or action be racial? i understand what you are saying, but it sounds sweeping. for many kids in my area, its the attraction of ‘the hard life’ everyone around me has it easy, and the lifestyle seems pumped with action and excitement, as portrayed in pop culture…where as going to school everyday seems less intriguing.
User Detail :
Name : Katie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 18, City : Bloomfield Hills, State : MI, Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class,
KatieMemberI have many friends who are popular, as I have friends who are not. Those who are ‘unpopular’ have far less fights with their friends, and generally lead happier lives. Those who are popular aren’t popular by choice. Most are very self consicoius (sp) hence the constant grooming, and their outward apperance is all they feel they have. Self conscious (i hate that word) people tend to gravitate to eachother, and with that build their self esteem by pumping eachother up – i have had many a ‘popular’ friend express their want to be in my shoes, and not have to deal with everything that goes with it. my question is, do the ‘unpopular’ people really care about the ‘popular’ people? you shouldn’ t because you are much better of then them. Trying just being nice to a ‘popular’ person. it might work. although, my school is not a typical clique school our popular people are popular because they are nice, and friendly to all people, it was more in middle school when they were obnoxious – also i find that those who WANT to be popular, and are standing just outside the spotlight are the worst, and I tend to evade them,. Try being a social butterfly, its great to have a close knit group- but it would be even better if you have other friends, just incase you have a different lunch then your friends 😉 good luck and be you, more then likely someone is jealous of what you have- no matter what clique your in!
User Detail :
Name : Katie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 18, City : Bloomfield Hills, State : MI, Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class,
KatieMemberKristina, its not only lower class. I come from an upper-middle class area, and my school is heavily diverse. I see what you are talking about everyday. It seems black people ARE very loud and very vocal about, well whatever they want to be, especially those who moved in from lesser neighborhoods. After talking with a few black friends of mine, they said that its a way of asserting yourself, to state that ‘I am me, and you can’t have that.’ Because the more of an identity you are, the less likely you are to be taken advantage of – this of course dates back to the time of slavery. Which in some ways is valid, and in others is obnoxious. I admire you for holding to your way, but perhaps a non-confrontation comment may help with those who may not know its offensive. ‘You know _______, did you ever think that your comment may be as offensive to them as their foilbes are to you?’ and respond accordingly, adding you don’t mean to offend, but its something you’ve experienced. I ask my black friends everything and they are very open with me and my concerns, as am I with them. I wish that everyone could be as open-minded as them- just as you seem to be.
User Detail :
Name : Katie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 18, City : Bloomfield Hills, State : MI, Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class,
KatieMemberfor the most part there was never a large problem with the jocks and the goths. In fact if you will, lets associate ‘goths’ with drama. Our drama program is better then any sport in our school. It is known state wide, nationally and INTERNATIONALLY (we have gone to the fringe festival twice in 5 years- first h.s. to be invited for a repeat performance.) In fact our arts in general are spectacular (our choir performed at carnegie hall last february with acclaimed composer/director Moses Hogan) where as our sports MIGHT make it to state semi-finals or finals once in a while. Everyone has great respect for everyone, because we recognize that others do what we cannot. And even though i am not an active part of our drama company, i call it mine, because it is my school. Just as they call my swim team theirs. Having a racially diverse under 1000 student school helps this factor also. All it is ignorance playing its role. as for safety, my school is trying to be a poster-child for safety… we have had ‘intruder’ lock downs (everyone locks their door and hides in a corner with the lights off.) and evacuation plans (walk 1 mile in the snow to get away fromthe building) sadly there is a need, luckily everyone takes it seriously, yet still light-hearted in the hopes/confidence that it will not happen to our school.
User Detail :
Name : Katie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 18, City : Bloomfield Hills, State : MI, Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, -
AuthorPosts
Dare To Ask Talk And News About Our Differences