Yo, upstate New Yorkers: chill!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Augustine23397
    Participant
    I know there are nice people and mean people everywhere, but it's been my sad experience that, per capita, the nastiest, most quarrelsome people in the United States are from upstate New York (i.e. north of Westchester County encompassing the rest of the state). People from New York City are fine, making allowance for their hurry-up, somewhat abrupt surface manner. In fact, I have had many friends from New York City. However, I've traveled throughout upstate New York and have encountered people who have moved from there, and I hate to say it, but it's a totally different story up there. Unpleasant personal encounters are practically the norm, and there seems to be a mean-spiritedness and arrogance behind it. I haven't experienced this in neighboring states I've visited. Is it something unique to upstate New York culture, or could they subsconsciously be trying to live up to a stereotype of the 'rude New Yorker' while at the same time feeling inadequate compared to New York City natives? That's the only sense I can make of it. Albany, Poughkeepsie, Utica, Rochester: take a chill pill. Please.

User Detail :  

Name : Augustine23397, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 41, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Me21872
    Participant
    Of course, it could be that we just don't like you.

User Detail :  

Name : Me21872, City : Upstate, State : NY Country : United States, 

Deb
    Participant
    I lived my first 19 years on Long Island, an hour from New York City. It was just a train ride away, and we hustled and bustled just as much as people in the city. Too much traffic, everyone in a rush, etc. Then I moved upstate to Oswego, N.Y., and then Syracuse. Lo and behold, I found everyone to be a lot nicer, and friendlier. Absolute strangers waving to me out of nowhere. Of course, after a little while upstate, I realized not everyone upstate is that nice. I was just so used to ignoring strangers and having strangers ignore me on Long Island and in New York City that a few waves made all the difference.

Upstate New York has just as many rude people as New York City. But when you see it in Upstate New York, it stands out more because that's not how everyone acts. In New York City everyone is rushing and doing what they have to do to get to where they need to be. That doesn't mean they are all rude. You will know a rude person in New York City when you see them. I just think the pace is slower upstate, so the ruder people are a lot easier to pick out.

User Detail :  

Name : Deb, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Christian, Age : 23, City : Syracuse, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : clerical, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Amy
    Participant
    As a resident of Upstate I couldn't help but post. I noticed that the cities you posted are all stops along the NYS thruway have you ever ventured up to the Adirondacks where the people are so laid back and kind. I can assure you it is not trying to make up for any type of inadequacies. I am proud of my city and the hardworking people that reside here. New York is a large state which has many lovely towns and cities and most people are proud of their area. Also I deal with clients from all over NYS on an everyday basis and there are kind people across the state as well as rude ones. Also if you go into a situation w/a chip on your shoulder thinking ppl will be rude they will typically live up to your expectations.

User Detail :  

Name : Amy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 23, City : Buffalo, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Insurance, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

A
    Participant
    Yes: i agree. I moved from the midwest to albany, NY temporarily and faced the irrational wrath of another driver. He jumped out of his vehicle and screamed at me with flailing arms, for a very minor case of poor driving on my part (there was not a scratch on any vehicle).

User Detail :  

Name : A, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Christian, Age : 25, City : champaign, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mike20613
    Participant
    I've lived on Long Island, I lived in the Capital District for 10 years or so, and worked in NYC. My experience was that upstate NYers are more polite, but they are easily offended and vocal about transgressions. Everyone says the appropriate polite things in common interactions, but if you fail to do so, you *will* hear a comment. A good representation of the difference is horn-honking; in Brooklyn, people constantly do it, but it is not a big deal; in Albany, people rarely do it, but nearly always give the finger and yell something when it happens. The cause of this is a belief, held by Upstate NYers, that downstaters are taking disproportionate resources from the state government, and that this has contributed to the region's economic decline. As jobs have left upstate NY, there has been a search for scapegoats. My understanding is that this belief is false. There's also an important distinction between conservatives and liberals. Conservatives have more hatred for New York City, which they associate with welfare and crime; but self-conscious liberals focus more on Long Island, where the rich people supposedly live. Lastly, there's an ethnic element too, seen in racial code words associated with evil NYC (e.g. crime, drugs) and a phrase I've heard a number of times, 'all those Jews from Long Island'.

User Detail :  

Name : Mike20613, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 32, City : Brooklyn, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kate25229
    Participant
    most of my fathers family comes from upstate New York and I have never noticed an overt tendancey twards rudeness in the general population on my visits there, exept the slightly 'agressive' driveing styles. however in the general northeast, in fact in the east in general, I have noticed a 'kittens in an oven aren't biscuts' attiude twards outsiders that you simply don't get out here in the west.

User Detail :  

Name : Kate25229, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Discordia, Age : 17, City : Twisp, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

CherylM
    I'm a yahoo originally from Tennessee who has been married to an Upstate NYer for 22 years. My opinion is that they simply don't realize how offensive they are to non-upstaters. They can be loud and gruff, but they will also be the first to stop and offer help if you're stranded in a snowstorm on the side of the road. Granted, while they're digging you out they will tell you everything you did wrong to get yourself into the situation (and probably not politely either lol,) but that's just their way.

User Detail :  

Name : CherylM, City : Orange Park, State : FL Country : United States, 

Dood DeeD
    Participant
    I lived in the Albany area for 20 years and moved to the West Coast where I've been for 15 yrs. Whenever I go back to visit, it never fails to amaze me at how cruel and judgmental these people are. It's disgusting. Can't wait to leave after 3 days.

User Detail :  

Name : Dood DeeD, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Disability : Blind, Race : Alaska Native, Religion : African Methodist Episcopalian, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, Social class : Lower class, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.