Why do white people complain so much?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)
  • Author

MarronBella22151
    Participant
    I work in a call center in the customer relations department. We receive hundreds of calls a day. I am not lying when I say that 98 percent of the complaint calls come from white people. They seem to have nothing better to do than complain about minor things. They like to carry on as if someone has been murdered. And if they can't have their way, watch out. Why do white people, the majority being privileged, complain so much?

User Detail :  

Name : MarronBella22151, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 24, City : Anniston, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : Customer Service, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Regan
    I'm just curious...if you are at a call center and you're receiving telephone calls...isn't it a little bit presumptious that you can tell a persons race just by their voice? I understand it can be done, and there is a good chance that a person will get a guess right if they think they know, but it's very easy to make a wrong assumption. In short, I couldn't answer your question, because I don't think it's all that possible to know that 98% of the calls coming in are from white people.

User Detail :  

Name : Regan, Gender : F, Age : 19, City : Norfolk, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

AngelaS24964
    Participant
    'The majority being priveleged'? Okay, better, question: Why are you assuming that just because a person is white they are priveleged? Are you in a majority-white area? I live in a majority- black area, and accordingly, a proportionate number of people in customer care centers are black. I hadn't heard the stereotype that unlike whites, blacks sit back and let things happen to them and don't speak up for themselves simply because they are not 'priveleged' whites. P.S. Priveleges can be earned, you know.

User Detail :  

Name : AngelaS24964, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 24, City : Prince Georges County, State : MD Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Carter32384
    Participant
    May I wonder aloud how it is you know that someone is white just by the sound of their voice? I'm not saying it can't be done, but it seems like there's a lot of room for error -

User Detail :  

Name : Carter32384, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, 

Cynthia31740
    Participant
    Are they ALL privileged? How? Do they ALL send their children to the best summer camps in the country? Live in the BEST neighbourhoods? Last I checked, many white people live in trailer parks and are on welfare. I don't think those are privileged at all.

User Detail :  

Name : Cynthia31740, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Age : 23, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Graduate Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

monique20331
    Participant
    Some people complain so much because they're just arrogant. They think everyone is suppose to come running to their every cry and whimper like everyone is put on this planet to please them. Maybe many of the white people you're talking about are probably from upper middle class so they feel a sense of entitlement. That is in every race not just whites but in my opinion whites always have an arrogant attitude do you think much have changed when they came over on ships nearly 500 years ago. I think not.

User Detail :  

Name : monique20331, City : ft.myers, State : FL Country : United States, 

Alan
    Participant
    I am not sure if it is standard policy, and what the purpose of that policy might be (if even legal) for your customer relations department to ask the race/ethnicity of every caller. Are you inferring the race of the callers by their dialect or accent? Are you certain that all the callers you assume to be 'white' actually are? I work in the construction industry and my experience is that black inspectors are much more difficult to deal with. Of course, in my area, most of the City of Detroit inspectors are black, while most of the suburban/rural inspectors are white. The City of Detroit (being large) has a much more beauracratic approach than the smaller municipalities and maybe it's this fact, not race, that adds to the difficulties (most of the inspectors are also very courteous and kind WHILE they're being difficult). Maybe you are experinecing something similar... A certain kind of customer from a certain area or economic group. Maybe you are even influencing their attitude by the way you respond to certain voices. As a person who deals with many customers face to face myself, it's my experience that complainers and polite customers alike come in all colors.

User Detail :  

Name : Alan, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 37, City : Flint, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Electrician, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

justin26837
    Participant
    The standard of consumer responsiveness and service we have here directly corellates to people who actively complain. Quite often the reward for your criticisms is a discount or free stuff. The only thing I can say is racially specific about complaining is that black people seem to prefer to complain at the point of purchase, whereas white people seem to prefer to find whatever beureaucratic mechanism is in place for them to complain to. Both are effective in their own ways.

User Detail :  

Name : justin26837, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Victoria24553
    Participant
    How do you know the ethnicity of people calling you on the phone? Also doesn't good customer service means that no problem is regarded as 'minor.' I would assume that as a customer relations rep you would expect to get complaints from a large number of your callers. Nothing personal but maybe this is an employment issue, and not a racial one. Listening to people complain all day would give anybody a negative attitude about the complainers but is it really about race?

User Detail :  

Name : Victoria24553, City : San Francisco, State : CA Country : United States, 

Ivana
    Participant
    I'm white, and I notice that white people tend to complain more than anyone else, too. I assume that they have nothing better to do.

User Detail :  

Name : Ivana, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Lancaster, State : PA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Jennifer
    Participant
    What makes you think that they are white? Is this a question that you ask them? I'm bothered by the fact that you are generalizing an entire population by something that, possibly, only you have experienced. Personally, I will complain when I feel I have received sub-par service. It seems that 'customer service' no longer exists. Maybe these employees do not value their current jobs or are having a bad day, but certainly that is not just cause for treating customers poorly. Many times complaints are how improvements happen. Although many call centers monitor their employees, not everything is caught.

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer, Gender : F, Age : 30, City : Southfield, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Human Resources, Social class : Middle class, 

Anna
    Participant
    I live with a white man, and we live in a pretty nice community and it seems as if your claim is accurate, at least for me. I grew up in a lower-class black community and we worried about getting heat and food. When was Dad coming home? Why is Mommy always so sad? These folks complain about their neighbors not painting the front of their house or a radio being played too loud on a summer afternoon, or kids making noise as they walk by their house! I understand property value issues, and wanting to keep your neighborhood safe, but no one seems to care about real troubles! I often feel the same. That they have nothing else to do but complain. (That includes my boyfriend)!

User Detail :  

Name : Anna, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, 

Kaori
    Participant
    Generally, when people come from positions of affluence and are used to having things the way they want them, they are more inclined to complain when things go wrong. People who are used to having less are generally more appreciative of what they have, and at the same time probably expect that things will go wrong.

User Detail :  

Name : Kaori, Gender : F, Race : Asian, Age : 26, City : San Francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : research, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Todd24646
    Participant
    Your question might be better answered if you included the type of services or merchandise the customers are buying. Some services and some merchandise are targeted for consumption by specific groups. Perhaps the majority of your customers are indeed white, which would easily explain your question. Incidentally, how are you certain the callers are white?

User Detail :  

Name : Todd24646, Gender : M, Age : 47, City : Cincinnati, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Jessica
    Participant
    There is a little Italian restaurant in my town that serves absolutely excellent food, owned and operated by an African-American former pro-basketball player and former graduate of Sam Houston State University. He is extremely nice; he is also the chef. His daughters and neices, however, who waitstaff the restaurant, are another story. Every time I have gone there, my spouse and I have been the only white people, which is fine with us, but we get ignored. There can be only one other table in the restaurant, and three waitresses, but we will still have to wait 30 minutes to be seated, another 30 minutes to receive drinks, etc. We always dealt with it, because we didn't want to seem like the complaining white people. This last time we went, we took my in-laws. My mother-in-law ordered hot tea to drink, and the waitress brought her a glass with microwaved iced tea that was so hot she couldn't have picked it up even had she wanted microwaved iced tea. My mother-in law was extremely nice and explained when she said hot tea she meant a coffee cup with hot water and a tea bag. The waitress looked at her like she was psychotic and snapped at her, 'Well obviously we don't have whatever it is you want.' Then she left the table in a huff and didn't come back for another half hour. When she finally came back and asked for our order, my mother-in-law asked if they had a certain type of Italian sauce. The waitress again looked at her like she was psychotic and snapped, 'I have no idea what you're talking about.' I was so embarassed that I had taken my in-laws to this restaurant, and had them receive this kind of treatment. However, none of us complained because we knew that the waitresses would stereotype us, and we didn't want to fall into the category they would put us in. Despite the lousy treatment, we left a better than average tip (20%) because we didn't want to fall into another bad category. We really didn't want them to think that just because we were 'white and privileged' we were rude or lousy tippers - but really, we had every right to complain, and had the owner or waitress been white, we would have. So in response to your question, I offer you another question: what should I have done in this situation? I will never go back to that restaurant. Do I fall into your category of white privileged people who whine all the time? It's very disturbing to me that I feel I cannot complain because I am white.

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 23, City : Huntsville, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.