White and black and “nigga”

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

steve27601
    Participant
    Why would you want to? I am an African American man and I detest anyone using that word black or white. It is a negative word and has a very long negative history. Those blacks who use it belong to subculture in the black community that is not typical of the community as whole.

User Detail :  

Name : steve27601, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Michelle
    Participant
    I think it's a sad day and a sad world we live in when we are oppressed by a word. No, I don't like the word but should we let this word stop us from doing what we want to do in life. Whatever happened to the phrase 'sticks and stones may break my bones but WORDS can never hurt me'. It's a word used by people who are trying to hurt you. Take away their power and get passed it.

User Detail :  

Name : Michelle, Gender : F, Age : 31, City : Robersonville, State : NC Country : United States, 

ellen
    Participant
    It has been my observation that since this word has been forbidden,this subject is now so touchy that we can barely distinguish between blacks and whites....at least among whites. An example: recently being dissatisfied with a service oriented business, when asked by a white supervisor to describe to her the employee I was not happy with, she described the options as 'the taller woman, the one in the darker suit, the one with longer hair', etc. I said that I didn't remember the details, it was the black girl. It was the detail that I knew would make the identity certain. I rarely notice color of clothing, length of hair, height, etc. unless it is remarkable. So, I feel certain that I will be labeled racist by some. But if the girl had been Asian, Latino, Albino, pregnant, very heavy or ematiated looking, bald headed, hair down to her knees, etc. I would have pointed this out. But my point is that it seems as though many whites are now even uncomfortable to point out that a person is black. What the hell is this about? Does anyone think that this is a good thing? If so, why? Or, why not?

User Detail :  

Name : ellen, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 38, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Keith-B
    Participant
    Historically whites programmed 'nigger' into the minds of black slaves. As a result, slaves would refer to other slaves as 'niggers' when they felt superior to others, i.e. if Master John gave Bubba Slave an extra bowl of slop or let him come in the big house. It began as a joke, but later grew into a term of endearment among blacks, losing all negative connotations that whites placed with the word. A white saying 'that's my nigger' means 'that is my dumb-azz slave.' A black saying, 'That's my NIGGA' means 'That's my dog, my man.' Your ancestors left a bad taste in our ears regarding the 'N' word, just in how whites pronounce it. 'ER'

User Detail :  

Name : Keith-B, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 30, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : General Manager, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Dionne J.
    Participant
    I figure this situation is like a situation between siblings. As for me, I have a younger brother. I see nothing wrong with me beating up on him and calling him names, but I know I love him. If Billy Bob beats up on my brother and calls him names, I'm going to look for Billy Bob to kick his butt because I know he probably has no love for my brother. That goes for races as well. When a black person says nigga to another black, it's obvious he can't be saying it in a negative way 'cause he's black, too. When another race says it to a black person, the word is open for interpretation.

User Detail :  

Name : Dionne J., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : Miami, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Alfiee
    Participant
    Not all African Americans use the term, and not all 'own' or accept it as a term of endearment. I think it's horrible and work very hard to keep it out of my vocabulary. I don't really think there is a definitive answer for this question for all African Americans, but I strongly believe that the use of the term varies according to education levels, socioeconomic status and values. I also think the overrepresentation of the term in the media, especially in hip-hop culture (of which I am a big fan) makes the term seem more widely used than it is.

User Detail :  

Name : Alfiee, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 31, City : Lansing, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : university professor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

renee l.
    Although it is used by some blacks as an endearing word, there are some who still view the word as degrading. I guess it's a way of turning something negative into a postive.

User Detail :  

Name : renee l., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 38, City : Memphis, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : Admin. asst., 

Nicole Hargraves
    Participant
    I was always taught that a nigger was an ignorant person. Therefore growing up in San Francisco we interacted with niggers of all races,creeds and colors. However I resent being refered to as a nigger(or Bitch, Hepher, Hoe etc.) or any other term currently used to display 'endearment' by African Americans friend or foe. Ignorance is Ignorance no matter who displays it.

User Detail :  

Name : Nicole Hargraves, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Panamanian/Creole/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 40, City : Tallahassee, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Advocate, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Blake-C
    Participant
    The use of the word comes from the latin meaning of the word 'black' or negre. The cultural context/ significance is described below: Main Entry: nig·ger Pronunciation: 'ni-g&r Function: noun Etymology: alteration of earlier neger, from Middle French negre, from Spanish or Portuguese negro, from negro black, from Latin niger Date: 1700 1 usually offensive, see usage paragraph below : a black person 2 usually offensive, see usage paragraph below : a member of any dark-skinned race 3 : a member of a socially disadvantaged class of persons usage Nigger in senses 1 and 2 can be found in the works of such writers of the past as Joseph Conrad, Mark Twain, and Charles Dickens, but it now ranks as perhaps the most offensive and inflammatory racial slur in English. Its use by and among blacks is not always intended or taken as offensive, but, except in sense 3, it is otherwise a word expressive of racial hatred and bigotry.

User Detail :  

Name : Blake-C, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Catholic, Age : 29, City : Arlington, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Research engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

J.B.
    There is a marked difference between calling someone a 'nigger' and a 'nigga'. Think about it, when was the last time you heard a black person refer to another as a 'nigger'?I also agree with the poster who gave the sibling analogy.

User Detail :  

Name : J.B., Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Paralegal, 

I-man
    Participant
    nigga=nigger, it wasn't derived or transformed from anything, it means the same thing. When many black people speak with a so called black accent, words sound differently, but its the same thing. You know how black folks do, we gotta be creative with ours, yet and still the meanings are essentially the same. If black people wanna call themselves nigga,dog, etc instead of brotha/sis, Black,god, etc well that's on them. You don't see black people running around complaining because they can't share the familial bond of different ethnicities, but when white people feel that they are prohibited from doing something, they get upset. DOn't want a nigga to have nothin.

User Detail :  

Name : I-man, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 21, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

marcus
    Participant
    Nigger and nigga are have to different meanings. White people tend to say nigger instead of nigga. Nigger has the bad meaning.

User Detail :  

Name : marcus, City : st. louis, State : MO Country : United States, 

Ali
    Participant
    'Nigga' Is an Americanised Form Of The Spanish Word Negro. Negro Meaning Black Object So You Can See Wot The implict Meaning Of The Word Is. Racial Equality doesnt Begin Or End With A Demise Of This 5 Letter Word. Even So The Reason As To Why Black People Call Each Other this Is Hard To Understnd Considering The History Of Black People And The Terms The Word Portrate. Maybe Its Like This, I Can Shout At My Mum, But You Cant........??????

User Detail :  

Name : Ali, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : British/Pakistani, Religion : Muslim, Age : 21, City : Birmingham, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.