White and black and “nigga”

• This topic has 27 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 17 years ago by L.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Jesse
    Participant
    Why can a black person say 'nigga' to another black person, but a white person can't say it to a black person? What is the history behind the word, and why in our society is it so widely used among black people? If it is such a nasty word, shouldn't everyone of every race stop using the word ... even black people? Would the use of 'nigga' eliminate racial inequality?

User Detail :  

Name : Jesse, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 19, City : Arvada, State : CO Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Ify21371
    Participant
    I am black and can use the word 'nigga' because I own my blackness. Whites are not allowed to use the word because of its oppressive connotation. The word 'nigga' is derived from 'nigger' - it is sort of a term of endearment and is used in various contexts.

User Detail :  

Name : Ify21371, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 23, City : Miami, State : FL Country : United States, 

Jennifer R.
    Participant
    First, there are some white people who use the word 'nigga' with blacks and get away with it. They are usually close friends of the black people they use it with, or part of the subculture where that word is used casually, and therefore, there isn't much complaint. Second, 'nigga' is different from 'nigger.' 'Nigger' is an ethnic slur used to degrade and dehumanize, especially from the mouth of a white person. I don't care if it's 'just the way they were raised' and they believe they don't mean anything by it. Somewhere along the way, they likely learned that it was a contemptuous word used to refer to black people. Its history in this usage goes back hundreds of years. To most black people, it is a buzzword of oppression, an indication that no matter who a black person may be on an individual basis, they are reduced to the connotations of that word in the eyes of the person wielding it. This conception of black people was and is brought home to most of us in some way practically every day. To rail against the use of this word by a white person is to rail against that white person's right to perpetrate that kind of mental terrorism.

Finally, some black people have appropriated the word 'nigger' and slightly modified it to 'nigga,' perhaps in an effort to minimize its hold, or to subliminally acknowledge solidarity in history and culture. Many black people dislike either variation equally, don't use them and don't approve of those who do. I am one of those black.

User Detail :  

Name : Jennifer R., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Humanist, Age : 29, City : Saint Paul, State : MN Country : United States, Occupation : Writer/Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

L
    Participant
    I agree that everyone should stop using this word. The meanings that we convey through the words that we use can have constructive or destructive power.To suggest that it's OK for some to use a word, while maintaining that it's not OK for others is the kind of double standard that we need to eliminate if we're serious about getting along. I don't buy the idea that 'reclaiming' a word or term makes it OK. For example, I am female, but don't call myself a 'bitch' or a 'ho' because those are derogatory names. I am African-American, but I refuse to even listen to musicians or comedians who use the word 'nigger,' 'nigga,' etc. I'm too proud of who I am to 'adopt' denigrating terms and claim that my using them sanitizes them. Besides, I have yet to hear any African-American call another person 'nigger' in a way that is even remotely endearing. It's usually used while cutting a person down or criticizing him/her for their stupidity.

User Detail :  

Name : L, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, City : Indianapolis, State : IN Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lora
    Participant
    'Nigger' is a word ignorant, racist white people labeled people of African ancestry with. 'Nigga' is a word used by ignorant people of African ancestry who claim to OWN their blackness. The fact is that the word is derogatory. It is absurd that any black person would refer to themselves or our people as a nigga and object (or not object) if another group uses the word. Just about 30 years ago nigger is all we were called and it was a painful, humiliating experience. I believe it is disrespectful and silly to use the word today....no matter what race you are.

User Detail :  

Name : Lora, City : NYC, State : NY Country : United States, 

debbie
    Participant
    I agree with youI don't feel anyone should use this word 'nigga'. This word for so many years has been the most degrading, disgusting word that it tends to hurt most when used by a white person because we know you mean it, when used by blacks they are so used to hearing it,that it just a light reminder of our ancestor flight, it doesn't carry much emotion.White people use it toward us everyday, we're just not around to hear it, I'm sure you use it too when you are mad at an indiviual or group of blacks people, so don't get upset when you hear black people use it with each otherand you can't, it just the way some of us communicate which is sad.

User Detail :  

Name : debbie, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 35, City : new york, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : professional, 

MJ-B
    Participant
    Please, the use of either of these words is a 'no, no' to anyone with any common sense or pride in their race. These words will always have a sting no matter how you try to lessen the effect. Holocast is Holocast how can you lessen the effect of this word!! Even Richard Pryor decreed he would no longer use this word in his comedy routines and those of my generation said AMEN!!! Certainly this word should have been eliminated years ago. But here again we have to deal with this mess again!! I donot use this word in my HOUSEHOLD and anyone, no matter who dare say this word in my presence because you will immediately get a history lesson.

User Detail :  

Name : MJ-B, City : Phila, State : PA Country : United States, 

Kelly
    For the same reason I can call my girlfriends 'The Bitches,' but if some man referred to them as bitches, I would claw his eyes out. Friends use typically insulting words all the time with each other. You can take that demeaning/angry word and diminish its strength. Make that word yours.

User Detail :  

Name : Kelly, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 27, City : Charlotte, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Software Consultant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    Well, first of all, it's a difference between 'nigga' and 'nigger'. Racism is more familiarly associated with the word 'nigger'. That's usually used by someone of another race and intended as racism. Now, the word 'nigga' is just a slang amongst African-Americans in the present time. It is commonly used as an acronym for 'Never Ignorant, Getting Goals Accomplished'. When it is used against us by someone of another race, when can tell the difference; that's why we get offended. Bottom line.

User Detail :  

Name : Latronica Madison, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 18, City : Baton Rouge, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Debbie Williams
    Participant
    It is excepted when a black person calls another black person 'nigga' because we have been through the same things. We can look back on slavery together with the same feelings. White people can't, because they didn't go through what we did so it is offensive when they call a black person 'nigga'. When black people call each other 'nigga' I think it is our way of making light out of the situation.

User Detail :  

Name : Debbie Williams, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : Miami, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Jr. Super Woman
    Participant
    'Nigga' is used between some black people 1) in an effort to belittle the term 'Nigger', a term used to oppress blacks for hundreds of years, 2) to affirm a common history, culture and heritage, 3) to take away the power of the term 'Nigger' from the way that whites used it and turn it into a term that is used in a more sarcastic sense. Question: Why would you WANT to use the term anyway if you don't care for it at all? Do you feel that you are missing out on something?

User Detail :  

Name : Jr. Super Woman, Gender : F, Age : 25, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Systems Analyst, 

Lennox
    It's not a term of enderment, it is an acceptance of your racial stereotypical classification. The word is derived from 'nigger' have you ever considered what Black people would be now if they had never been 'Niggers'. Your so called term of enderment would be extremly offensive. It would be like calling a Jewish woman 'jappy'. Don't own oppression in your race be someone you were ment to be. Live up to your potential.

User Detail :  

Name : Lennox, Race : Black/African American, City : Columbus, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Tony24176
    Participant
    As a black man,I totally disagree with your answer, I can't find no where in the history of our african ancestors where the word nigger or nigga was used, this word was used openly by whites in the days of slavery with one intent, and that was to degrade black people,any black person who refers to themselves as niggas or niggers are mentally still enslaved,Think about our people that was killed trying to destroy that same filthy label that you've adopted as a term of endearment

User Detail :  

Name : Tony24176, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 38, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Arsonia-Peterson
    Participant
    I do not think anyone should refer to themselves by an insulting name created by someone who hates you.

User Detail :  

Name : Arsonia-Peterson, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 53, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lisa Jackson
    Participant
    First of all you should not assume that all black people use the N word. I don't use it and neither does my guess nor is my son allowed to use that word. It upsets me when I hear black people use that word that are just not simply educated on how offensive that word is. Their excuse is I've turned a negative into a positive, but it is simply not right to use the word.

User Detail :  

Name : Lisa Jackson, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 30, City : St. Louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : work-study student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.