We, the People

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    What do people of all backgrounds think of the U.S. Constitution? Where would America be without it? Do you think it has bettered our lives? In what ways (specifically) has the Constitution helped better America? What are the positive reactions to these ways? What could have happened if there were no Constitution? We are doing a report in our Government class and would very much appreciate your responses.
    Original Code GD48. Click here to see responses from the original archives.

User Detail :  

Name : Alkey H. and R. Hindbaugh, City : Pine Grove, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Students, 

Jeff31185
    Participant
    I would only partially agree with Sam and some of his caveats. Yes, the People who wrote the Constitution were products of their times. Only property owners could vote, the president was elected by state congressmen, women couldn't vote for any reason and blacks were 3/5's of a person. But for a world that hadn't seen "democracy" for 2,000 years, they did a pretty good job. And the constitution has evolved, not only in its structure but in its content. I think it would be "better" if what was intimated in it was still respected. The 10th Amendment should certainly be "re-discovered," which would have at least the effect of disbanding almost the entire Cabinet. (For the record, it basically says the Federal Government has only those powers spelled out. The rest remain with the states and people.) And I think the Founding Fathers would puke if they saw what the War On Drugs had done to the 4th, 5th and 6th Amendments. America: Love it or Change it!

User Detail :  

Name : Jeff31185, Gender : M, City : Boulder, State : CO Country : United States, 
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.