Walking among colors in Chicago

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Andrea31624
    Participant
    If I were walking in Chicago and came across a colored person, how would I go about becoming their friend? I am from a white neighborhood and don't know how to talk to them well.

User Detail :  

Name : Andrea31624, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 17, City : Jackson, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Jona29071
    Participant
    No one uses the word 'colored' first of all. To answer your question, you would do the same thing you would to meet any new person.

User Detail :  

Name : Jona29071, Race : Black/African American, City : Chantilly, State : VA Country : United States, 

Wayne24379
    Participant
    You would become friends with a black person the same way you would with a non-black person. You find that you have certain things in common, similiar interests and likes/dislikes. You enjoy each other's company. You respect each other. Just look around at the people you go to school or work with. Have normal conversations with them. Maybe you will start to feel a stronger affinity for that person, just like you would with any white person. But it might take a little longer because of the racial/cultural differences. My white friends are all people I either went to school or worked with. Or they were introduced to me by another friend. And that's how I've met most of my black and Asian friends.

User Detail :  

Name : Wayne24379, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 43, City : Parsippany, State : NJ Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Cynthia31723
    Participant
    First, most members of minority groups will be offended if you call them a 'colored person'. It should be 'minority' or 'person of color,' if you want to use such terms. Otherwise, use their first name if you know it. My advice to you, Andrea, is to approach minorities just like you would approach white people. Just smile and be nice. Also, I'd suggest that you take the time to learn about the person's culture or cultures so you may have something to discuss. Of course, there are also minorities who are 'All American' and may have no idea what you're talking about!

User Detail :  

Name : Cynthia31723, Gender : F, Race : Asian, Age : 24, City : Toronto, Ontario, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Graduate Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
    The first thing you would do is NOT refer to him or her as 'colored'. You might get popped in the chops for that one. Black people do not like or appreciate being called 'colored'. Try black or African American. And you talk to African-American people the same way you talk to anyone else. We are no less or better than other people. Now I understand why I don't have any white friends, nor do I have a desire to have any. For a race that claims to be superior, some of you are incredibly stupid.

User Detail :  

Name : RhondaOutlaw, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 41, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Account Representative, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Vat
    Participant
    Last time I was in the 'Windy City' I just walked up and asked for some drugs... None of them gave me any, but it was a VERY interesting way of 'meeting' people..... Suprisingly none of them were angry, shocked yes, but it was an ice-breaker.

User Detail :  

Name : Vat, City : Chappel Hill, State : NC Country : United States, 

Alice31378
    Participant
    Stupid people come in all races and colors, and by talking about whites as if we're not good enough for you to be friendly with, you're thinking in the same prejudiced, stuck up and narrow minded way that you believe white people do.

User Detail :  

Name : Alice31378, City : Richmond, State : VA Country : United States, 

jeff31172
    Participant
    Rhonda! I'm as white as they come but I don't claim any superiority. We all have stupidity in our groups. I have several black friends I've met through the years and I care for them just as much as any of my white friends. You say you understand why you don't have any white friends. After reading your response I do to! Ease up - we're not ALL dorks!

User Detail :  

Name : jeff31172, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 46, City : bloomington, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Kathy
    Wow! Are you serious? No really. Are you? I live in Chicago and I don't care what neighborhood you go to, none of them are exclusively populated with one ethnicity. Even if your house is surrounded by a 10 house radius, outside of that someone ain't white! And why the hell are you still referring to black people as colored. You're only 17 not 67. We don't use that termanology anymore. And since you are so young, aren't you still in school. Don't you have any black students there? Or Hispanics or Asians for that matter. Do they look like lepers to you? Would you ask how to approach a red head or a blonde white person. Why don't you just treat people the way you would expect them to treat you. And a lil tip for ya too. Get some tact. Your young, I'm sure you'll catch on.

User Detail :  

Name : Kathy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Native-Euro Mix, Religion : I don't need religion!, Age : 24, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Full Time Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mr. Someone
    Participant
    You are a Christian I see. Does Jesus Christ say to be closed minded to someone because they look different from you. When are you people going to learn to see different. Love everyone, I notice these things about you white folks, you give people the cross eye, you don't act friendly to us because we look different to you, you shout and scream at us, but yet you don't know how to relate to us the same way you relate to people who look like you. And so many of you claim to have a higher IQ than any other race, how does your IQ help in this situation? I really wonder..

User Detail :  

Name : Mr. Someone, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Caribbean, Religion : Hindu, Age : 35, City : Orlando, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : sales, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.