Toilets Around the World

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anne
    Participant
    I heard that Turkish toilets are literally a porcelain hole in the ground. Do women over there use these, too? Also, are 'sit-down toilets' like those in the United States considered weird?

User Detail :  

Name : Anne, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 22, City : Iowa City, State : IA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Teresa19710
    Participant
    'A porcelain hole in the ground' is popular in Morocco as well, and I've used such a toliet many times. Really I think that this is cleaner than a 'Western toliet' (or whatever you call the one with the seat, bowl and flush) because there is much less surface area to touch. A good toliet will come with a faucet and bucket to wash out what you did--but sometimes there was nothing! Women use these toliets just as much as the men. I would suggest wearing a skirt and hiking it up. Either way, just try to make the same position you would on a 'normal' toliet (hover!). Anyway, you'll likely find many 'normal' toliets over in Turkey, probably more in cities and places where a lot of foreigners come. Of course I've never been to Turkey...but that's how it was on the other extreme of the Mediterranean.

User Detail :  

Name : Teresa19710, Gender : Female, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : Macomb, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : student, 

Jim Paul
    Participant
    It seems to me, not only in Turkey but also in Russia, Italy and Thailand, that public toilets tend to be porcelain-lined holes in the ground. Some even have raised brick-shaped steps to put your feet on. I guess these are easier to clean. Once I got used to squatting that far, it was OK ...sort of like going in the woods, but with walls around you.

User Detail :  

Name : Jim Paul, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 44, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Computer Technician, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.