Smoke Weed but Don’t Read

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author

NE24339
    Participant
    I don't care if a person (be they black, white, or purple with green polka-dots) is well educated, and I have no idea how an educated black person could possibly be threatening to me. I know plenty of well-educated black men, and I certainly wouldn't say that my only experience with blacks is from rappers on TV. That would sort of be like your experience of whites being confined to the rednecks in movies like 'A Time To Kill,' don't you think?

User Detail :  

Name : NE24339, Gender : F, Age : 19, City : Binghamton, State : NY Country : United States, 

Barry
    Participant
    I do not know of any white people threatened by black men with education ...it seems like a rare thing here in the South to find a black man even willling to be educated...most seem to see education as uncool or even unattainable. As I know several high school teachers in this area I am aware that, at least in this area, the teachers have to attend special classes to assist them in the 'special' learning needs of area black students. They are given special ways to teach, grade, and test the black students in an effort to give them a 'fair' chance at graduating or passing from one grade to the next.

User Detail :  

Name : Barry, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 31, City : Dothan, State : AL Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

C19323
    Participant
    I feel you, I am a minority man (not African-American) in this country and I find white people often shocked when they first meet me. Like they can't believe a brown-skinned man could speak 'good English.' Well, let's see...English is a white language, but being in this country, we have to learn it to survive. Why not learn it (and other things) well? What, because we're brown or black men we automatically have to set a lower standard? I think whites are threatened by smart black men (and brown!) because they don't want to believe we could ever surpass their intelligence.

User Detail :  

Name : C19323, Gender : M, City : Cali, State : CA Country : United States, 

Julie S.
    Participant
    I was not aware that we as whites are threatend of intelligent black people. If that were the case why would Oprah Winfrey have such a large viewer following of all races? I am always impressed to see an individual who is successful no matter what race, religion, or creed.

User Detail :  

Name : Julie S., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 35, City : Spokane, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ben22574
    Participant
    I can't think of any educated person that I feel threatened by, solely because they are black. I feel threatened by any person who tries to lord their education over me, or tries to make me feel subordinate to them because of their authority or social status. ---- Here are some educated black people that I work with and how I feel about them: ---- <> Senior Executive black person - Feels very strongly about his race/culture. Works especially hard to give opportunities to other black people, and gives lectures at local elementary schools. He often uses the phrase that black people need to 'represent,' especially when speaking at elementary schools. He gets very angry when things don't go his way, and especially when he feels another employee has made him 'look bad.' I think anyone would get upset if someone made them look bad, but he gets upset at things like someone not proof reading a letter he wrote well enough, and missed one of his spelling errors. This gives me the impression that he is arrogant, and combined with his desire to 'represent,' I feel that his arrogance is based in his ethnic/racial pride. ---- I feel threatened by this educated black man because it is hard to get along or even please someone who thinks that arrogance and pride are their innate right. ---- <> High ranking law enforcement black person - I get along with this person very well because he seems to treat me as an equal. When I disappoint him, he doesn't assume it's because of his race, he just thinks I screwed up. This person is comfortable with the idea that he is expert in some areas that I am not, and I am expert in areas that he is not. ---- I do not feel threatened by this educated black person because he treats others the way he expects to be treated. He doesn not lord his position, authority, or education over me.

User Detail :  

Name : Ben22574, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 32, City : Sacramento, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Computer Tech, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Bobby
    Good attempt white man, No disrespect. Why is it when a black ideologue outwardly promotes the black agenda white people think they are a problem or like you said, 'I fear the bigger problem might be that prominent voices in the 'black community' like Jesse Jackson, Louis Farrakhan, Maxine Waters, Sheila Jackson Lee, Al Sharpton...?' The conservative educated folks DO NOT promote the black agenda. So, if, Jesse or Al or others, doesn't promote our agenda, who will, George Bush, you? You said you don't fear the black educated but you do fear the vocal black educated because that's exactly what you said. You fear them being or becoming a problem...correct me if I'm misunderstanding what you are saying.

User Detail :  

Name : Bobby, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 32, City : Lisle, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Research Scientist, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

ShirleyAvery
    Participant
    In my case, you've got it backwards. I'm less threatened by an educated black person (male or female) than an uneducated one because educated people tend to be more open-minded. Also, they are taught to think for themselves, not just accept urban myths and other untruths that uneducated people are more likely to accept without question. An educated person has more opportunities for a better life. I'm more afraid of uneducated black men who are angry, but feel impotent to change their situation, guys who use violence to express their discontent. Just Curious

User Detail :  

Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

ShirleyAvery
    Participant
    The election of Obama proves that the majority of whites do not feel threatened by an educated black man. My question to you is: why do so many uneducated blacks feel that educated blacks are traitors to their race? Why are blacks who are working hard in school for a good education condemned as "trying to be white"? Just Curious

User Detail :  

Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.