Smoke Weed but Don’t Read

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Ashley23516
    Participant
    I am a white 24 year old female and one of the smartest people I know happens to be black so I feel qualified to respond. I never felt threatened by him while he was my boss or later when he became a friend/mentor. I am simply in awe of him as I am with all people of any ethnicity who are truly amazingly gifted intellectually. Maybe you are just misreading people, or need to hang around other white people. Please don't lump us all into a group as I am most certainly white and remain unthreatened.

User Detail :  

Name : Ashley23516, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 24, City : Birmingham, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : Designer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Seymour
    Participant
    Why do white people feel threatened by a black man with an education? Is it because the only black men they're familiar with are on TV and these men, such as Snoop Dogg or Ludacris, are weed-smoking fornicators? Is this threatening because the only black intellectuals that white people can think of are Dr. Martin Luther King and Malcom X? You know, black men who were against white ideology?

User Detail :  

Name : Seymour, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 21, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Pat M
    Participant
    This white man isn't threatened by black men who read. I am happy when they are educated. Your premise is wrong. There are a lot of black intellectuals. You need to see the world more fully.

User Detail :  

Name : Pat M, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 60, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

STEVE-FULTZ
    Participant
    I would suggest that they are not threathened by being black, but are threatened by another competitor in the market place.

User Detail :  

Name : STEVE-FULTZ, City : DALLAS, State : TX Country : United States, 

typeoneg
    Participant
    Educated or not they are so self centered. What is up with that?

User Detail :  

Name : typeoneg, City : Las Vegas, State : NV Country : United States, 

Mike
    Participant
    It's because your education translates as a possible way to put you in a place of power over white folks, and you could possibly abuse that power. It's more of a primitive reaction than thought-out. Personally, The Snoop Dogs and their emulators are more threatening because they preach counter-productive, dead-end values.

User Detail :  

Name : Mike, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : denton, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Melody
    Participant
    You are doing exactly what you accuse white people of doing: painting us all with a broad brush. White people in general don't feel threatened by educated blacks any more than you feel like a threat. Most of us embrace and applaud the changes that have occurred in our lifetime that have made it possible to meet and work and live with educated minorities. As a woman, I do not feel that men are threatened by me, in general. There are certainly a choice few who make it abundantly clear they think I belong at home in the kitchen, but I choose to ignore them and cultivate relationships with more intelligent people, and so should you. Rather than waste your time and energy grousing about ignorant people you deem are 'threatened' by you, engage in discussion with people who don't raise their eyebrows when you enter the room. I think you'll find that most people, particularly of your generation, aren't threatened or even surprised to learn that you, too, are educated and intelligent and interesting! Give them a chance.

User Detail :  

Name : Melody, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 40, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Sherry27983
    Participant
    An educated black person is viewed as a threat by some whites because they will have to deal with you in the professional work force. They will finally have to acknowledge the existence of an educated black man. They cannot make you go away or treat you as if you are invisible. Many white people constantly complain about the noisy chatter and loudness of black people. I strongly agree that everyone should refrain from talking loudly in movie theaters; however, blacks are expected to be silent everywhere. I find it ridiculous. It seems as though some folks want us to disappear. An educated black man is usually opposite of the dumb, lazy criminal stereotype often applied to most black males. Some may feel that you received your education and position with help from affirmative action policies. In fact, white females have received the most benefit from affirmative action because they're considered a minority group. I've met some old-school white guys who hate receiving orders from a black boss at their workplace.

User Detail :  

Name : Sherry27983, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Spiritual, Age : 24, City : Bakersfield, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Matt22029
    Participant
    I think there is a fundamental flaw to your premise that white people think of educated blacks as 'against white ideology.' For instance, I would never describe Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. as being 'anti-white.' Wasn't his central message that people should be judged not by their color but by the content of their character? Secondly, there are myriad black intellectuals (men & women) who are familiar to whites and whom white people would hardly describe as antagonistic to them. The easy list would contain the many black conservatives such as Larry Elder, Star Parker, Condeleezza Rice, Deroy Murdock, Armstrong Williams, Thomas Sowell, Walter Williams, J.C. Watts and others. I fear the bigger problem might be that prominent voices in the 'black community' like Jesse Jackson, Louis Farrakhan, Maxine Waters, Sheila Jackson Lee, Al Sharpton and others would call into question the 'blackness' of the aforementioned people and therefore some might feel they should not be cited as educated blacks to whom whites might relate. Thus the question becomes: are whites threatened by educated blacks or educated blacks they feel are hostile to their interests? So, my question to you is: how do you use your education? I suppose if you espouse the notion that everything bad that happens to a black person is caused by racism and the white power structure, then most whites (unless they are ultra-liberal and guilt-ridden) are going to be turned off by your message. What you might perceive as whites' fear may just be boredom with a tired and pedestrian 'talk show' approach to sophisticated social issues. Whatever your answer to my question, you deserve to be honored for being educated regardless of your race. Whether or not one agrees with your opinions (and I of course have no idea what they are and make no assumptions), one should always respect you and your education. I would encourage you to engage in forthright dialogue and attempt to have it be free of historic mistrusts and accusations. Good luck to you. I, for one, don't feel threatened.

User Detail :  

Name : Matt22029, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Irvine, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 
    White people/White America has never been, nor will ever be, comfortable with educated black men. White America is however, quite comfortable with the rapper/pimp/thug/drug dealer/baby daddy image of black men, because it affirms and reassures them as respects their own supposed 'superiority'. But an educated black man a threat to white America, because an educated black is competition. He can compete with the white man for job positions complete with title, salary and perks, homes in certain neighborhoods, and live certain lifestyles that whites feel they are entitled to, to the exclusion of everyone else. Oh, and don't think, my brotha, that this is exclusive to black men. An elegant, attractive, well-spoken black woman with a degree is not exactly a welcome addition to white America, either. White America is most comfortable with black people remaining in their 'inferior place'... and in their eyes, a brotha (or sista) graduating from Morehouse College, Howard University, Yale, Harvard, etc. has stepped out of our 'place'.

User Detail :  

Name : Rhonda-P-Outlaw29997, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 43, City : Laurelton, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Account Rep, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dan-M
    Participant
    I grew up being taught to judge people by who they are, not what color. Almost all my friends growing up were black or hispanic, etc. In this generation I think the racial aggression has greatly diminished. I acknowledge that there are some whites out there with racial tendancies but at this day and age is very seldom from what I see. It does strike me as ignorant however, when black people state they are 'on the constant strive of not letting the 'white man' bring them down'. Perhaps, an example of this double standard is the fact that almost all black comedians have made jokes about white people and portray us as the goofy 'Wally & Beaver, gee-willikers' stereotype which is couldn't be farther from the truth, now if a white comedian started making fun of a black man or woman they'd instantly be labeled a racist. I don't have a racist bone in my body but, the white/black thing is getting old already.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan-M, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 27, City : Schaumburg, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Accounting, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Hank
    I'm in total agreement! Right on brother!

User Detail :  

Name : Hank, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Atheist, Age : 38, City : philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : postal worker, Education level : High School Diploma, 

Allen
    Participant
    Educated black men do not threaten me; I wish there were more of you and educated black women. Today, most black athletes have a hard time speaking proper English and indicate they need a better education. It is nice to find black people that can carry on a conversation without using the same words 5 times in a sentence. I have noticed "older" blacks DO NOT have that problem, the ones I talk to (several times a week) speak very well, like Barbara Jordon did.

User Detail :  

Name : Allen, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 57, City : Aurora, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Driver, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Chrissy
    If you notice, most school districts only teach about the more 'famous' black men who are educated or 'made a difference' in the world, even in a more urban setting this is still the same. By being taught these ideas of uneducated blacks, slaves, and those against white ideology at a younger age, children form their own conclusions and misconceptions, which until given hard evidence of true facts, remains with them for the rest of their lives. This is something that is proven over and over again constantly in educational settings, something that needs to be corrected but isn't addressed in teaching standards. Please don't descriminate against whites who are taught the same things that black are in schools, its not their fault for the misconceptions.

User Detail :  

Name : Chrissy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 20, City : York, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Education Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kristy-W
    Participant
    If you want to view yourself as the victim of a grand white conspiracy, then that's your business. However, there really is no conspiracy against educated black people. All the white people I know would much rather be in the company of an educated black man/woman versus a gang-banger. If it makes you feel better to believe otherwise, then so be it.

User Detail :  

Name : Kristy-W, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 33, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.