Smoke Weed but Don’t Read

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Steve
    Participant
    Well written.

User Detail :  

Name : Steve, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 33, City : Omaha, State : NE Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

John25887
    Participant
    You wrote this as if black comedians on BET's comic view didn't make 90% of their jokes about weed,and pimps and hos. So, it's not only white people who think that way.

User Detail :  

Name : John25887, City : Albany, State : NY Country : United States, 

ranger
    I agree with two folks who said the original poster is guilty of generalizing about we caucasian people. Please take a look at your post and substitute the word black for white and see how you feel about it. Also, it always amazing me how little credit white people got for supporting the black people in their struggle for equal rights, etc. Take a close look at those pictures of the civil rights marches. You'll find a fair amount of white people in them and not only those in uniform. Also, going back to the civil war and before, many, many white people supported the cause of the black american at great personal risk and sometimes expense. So please, when you're generalizing about white people, remember that it's just as uncool as white people generalizing about black people.

User Detail :  

Name : ranger, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 45, City : kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Mike
    Participant
    I'd much rather see a black man with an education than another Snoop Dog preaching more empty values through MTV. I could see how white people might see a black man with an education occupying a higher station in society than they and therefore having the power to 'Lord it over' them, as it were. I think, though, that this is kind of an almost primitive instinctual fear that exists in the back of white pople's minds, but is not rationally considered.

User Detail :  

Name : Mike, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : denton, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ron-S29635
    Participant
    Shappelle, there is no such thing as white people being threatened by educated black men. I know whereof I speak. I have seen a lot of white people who were threatened by black men, but not one of those black men had a degree from the University of Chicago in his hand; it was usually a gun. Now, as far as TV and movies go..they are stories which are made up by storytellers for our entertainment. Would you go see a movie where Snoop Doggy Dog wasn't a gangsta? Hell no! Neither would I. As far as 'white ideology' goes..don't think for one minute there is no such thing as 'black ideology', because there is. From the feel of your question, I believe you are substituting the word 'ideology' for a term you might be afraid to come right out and say. It's 'racial prejudice.' In the last part of your question you also mention 'black intellectuals.' I don't care much for black intellectuals. I don't care much for white intellectuals either. It's one thing to be educated, but it's quite another thing to be 'intellectual.' Shappelle, I think if you study the intellectual situation real close you will find out there are a whole lot of 'intellectuals' roaming through our TV channels who are intellectuals by self-proclamation. Strangely enough, these people are lauded as 'intellectuals' by other people who call themselves...you guessed it...'intellectuals.' I don't know what your definition of an intellectual is, but I know what mine is. Under my definition, intellectuals are the people who make the laws, many of which are either unnecessary or unenforceable. But why should they care about little things like that when the laws they make don't apply to them anyway? Intellectuals are also responsible starting wars that they don't have to actually fight, levying taxes which they don't actually pay, and perpetuating a disfunctional society that they don't actually have to live in. Shappelle my man, get yourself an education. Be an educated man. If by some miracle the intellectuals and lawyers of the country slip up and accidentally let an entire generation be educated, then they are dead in the water. In the mean time, take my advice. If you go to the store for a loaf of bread and see Snoopy Dog in the parking lot..don't get out of the car...go to another store. That's not a college diploma stuck down the back of ole Snoopy's pants. Ya know what I mean?

User Detail :  

Name : Ron-S29635, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 60, City : Stockton, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Omodiende
    Participant
    I don't know about other white people but I grew up with images such as Different World, etc... which focused on college students that weren't fornicating weed smokers. Most of the shows today, even ER, have room for strong black characters who are massively educated - so perhaps your own viewing is limited. Also, King and Malcolm were not 'on the same page' - Separatist Agency and Integration are hardly both against 'white ideology'. Your question implies that this (educated blackmanaphobia) has been an issue for you yet you seem unaware of the purposes and goals of even these two heroes.

User Detail :  

Name : Omodiende, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 40, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Andy
    Participant
    I am glad to see a black man with an education. A lot of black youth are taught by their peers that being educated isn't cool. More power to you and the black race for continuing to raise the bar for their youth.

User Detail :  

Name : Andy, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 25, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Cal24905
    Participant
    I certainly don't fell threatened by a black man with an education. Just the opposite, I find the I have much more in common with them. I suspect that what you are picking up on is the white peoples' reaction to the enormous chip on your shoulder. If you go into a relationship expecting it to be negative, it will almost certainly turn out that way.

User Detail :  

Name : Cal24905, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 45, City : Lakewoof, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

James J.
    First of all, you make a hard case because the majority of African-Americans choose to not be educated. Words like 'axe', 'boff', 'togever', don't exactly put forth the impression of education. I would love for the pot smoking and the bitching to stop and for blacks to take more responsibility for the way society treats you. The overdone 'whiteman' crap is getting old. I know there are still people who are going to put up stupid roadblocks, but the majority of the system is open to anyone that does choose to use the education that is offered to them and not just gloss over it, saying it makes them appear 'white' or a sell-out. Any ethnic group that claims being smart is being 'white', then i guess we'll take that insult. I just find it a very sad and pathetic excuse that needs to be put to rest.

User Detail :  

Name : James J., Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : Tampa, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Jane20947
    Participant
    I'm white and am happily intimidated by and interested in anybody who is smarter and/or more educated than I. What threatens me is under-educated folks of any stripe. I don't feel quite comfortable saying that, perhaps it sounds elitist. I don't know your personal experience, but it seems to me that many folks take pleasure in bringing down anybody whom they perceive as having something over on themselves; whether it's education, wealth, a happy marriage, etc.

User Detail :  

Name : Jane20947, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 41, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : pastry chef, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Ben22573
    Participant
    Because the thug gangsta image reinforces a comfortable stereotype. Maybe the reaction you see is another form of 'white guilt' where the white person doesn't quite know what to do with himself. Many educated liberal white Americans are not prejudiced, and they feel very worried about appearing so, and may withdraw from you to defend against making a slip-up and being branded racist.

User Detail :  

Name : Ben22573, Gender : M, City : Savannah, State : GA Country : United States, 

Lash
    When non-whites level the playing field in our society and gain an education, some whites are disturbed by this because 1) it challenges the current staus quo and their current world view, 2) it forces them to see people of color as individuals and not a racial group, 3) it forces them to ask themselves what social barriers are in place that certain people of color attain an education and so many others don't and 4) it forces them to look at the things they take for granted, as a result of their 'normative' status and realize that they don't have that status because they're more deserving or smarter or more ambitious than other racial groups, but simply because they were born into it and do nothing to challenge current societal inequity. A person of color with an education, especially a black man or woman, can be intimidating to some white people for all those reasons.

User Detail :  

Name : Lash, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 24, City : San Francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Sara
    A lot of times, perceiving threats are just that...perceptions. I've never been threatened by someone of any color being intelligent and educated, in fact it makes me happy and hopeful. I think if you surround yourself with others who are educated and intelligent you won't find people feeling threatened. For a long time, I thought I just wasn't liked, but now I realize that a lot of women feel threatened by me because I'm educated and young...and ready to move into a better position anywhere in life. A lot of people are threatened by people who have more than they do. Look at the people who feel threatened, and examine why they might feel that way, but please realize that not all of us do.

User Detail :  

Name : Sara, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 27, City : Scranton, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Tali24834
    Participant
    It's the same reason why white guys are threatened by Asian American guys who can get more girls than them. The group in power always gets scared when they feel that their power is threatened. Some white folks have a stereotype that black guys are tougher and stronger than them. That's combined with a stereotype that black men are 'ghetto' or noneducated. So if a racist white who feels inferior toughness-wise to a black guy runs into a black guy who is also smarter than him, he feels threatened because he thinks that the black guy is better than him in every way. Although stereotypes are wrong, unfortunately, they are still around.

User Detail :  

Name : Tali24834, Race : Asian, Age : 20, City : New York City, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

Ryan
    I don't feel threatened by a black man (or woman) with an education. I feel a certain amount or respect, because I assume (stereotypically) that that education was harder to get. But I also am educated, and a lower-class white may feel differently. The truth is, on a visceral level, I feel more threatened by a black guy who looks like Snoop. He looks like everyone I've seen on COPS.

User Detail :  

Name : Ryan, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Buddhist, Age : 29, City : Santa Barbara, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Grant Writer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.