Names

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anitra
    Participant
    Do whites make assumptions in the corporate world or in general life about people with names such as mine which is Anitra? There are much more extravagant names than mine but it is an example

User Detail :  

Name : Anitra, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 19, City : Tucker, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : musician, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

CatherineP
    I think Anitra is is a nice, strong name. I don't think you'd have trouble being taken seriously. The more extravagant names are kind of silly, especially when they have crazy spellings. Check out the book called Freakonomics. The entire last part is dedicated to analyzing names and how people fare with the names they're given. Personally, I would find it very difficult to take a person seriously with a name like the ones I think you're referring to, but I'd have just as hard a time with a grown man named Joey, or a woman named Madison, Maticyn, Katie, or Keighty, Mercedes, or Chastity(which Freakonomics says almost always ends up a stripper). Kids with funky names are cute, but not when they grow up and want corporate or executive jobs.

User Detail :  

Name : CatherineP, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 20+, City : Akron, State : OH Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.