Large families: none of your business!

Viewing 6 posts - 61 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Author

Ty28276
    Participant
    Well I disagree with the 'contempt for being outbred' remark. I know when I see a family with a lot of kids, most of the time the kids are running around like crazy, being loud and obnoxious, and the parents are doing absolutely nothing about it. Also, it's not like the world has a shortage of people, there are far too many stupid ones at that, so it a matter of numbers(in some cases). A family with a lot of stupid kids isn't adding anything to the population.

User Detail :  

Name : Ty28276, City : chicago, State : IL Country : United States, 

Eduardo
    Participant
    There are already far too many people in the world as it is. To be blunt, it's inconsiderate to contribute to such a massive problem. The Earth is running out of resources at an overwhelming rate and I hardly think it's an exaggeration to say that humans are to blame for this unfortunate state of affairs.

User Detail :  

Name : Eduardo, Gender : M, Race : Asian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 33, City : Mandaluyong, State : NA Country : Philippines, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Esther
    Participant
    I think large families are associated in many people's minds with poverty. In the past, people had large families either to help out on the farm, or because several children were likely to die. As mortality declined and urbanisation increased, the upper classes began to decrease their family sizes first. Thus large families are associated in with being 'hicks' or 'poor white trash'. Also, I think maybe some people are made uncomfortable by the implication that the parents have had a lot of sex. You assume that couples have sex, but when they have a whole lot of kids, you're confronted with visible evidence of it!

User Detail :  

Name : Esther, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 20, City : Cambridge, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Katie
    First of all, I'm childfree, not childles; this is way different from being childless, which implies wanting children and not being able to have any; being CF means not wanting any, avoiding pregnancy, enjoying living life without children. As for negative reactions, we live in a world of 6,500,000,000 -- that's 6.5 BILLION. The earth has too many people as it is, and in rich nations like the US, having just one child here is like having 2 in the UK, 3 in central Europe or 10 in a Third World country. Simply put, we use up a disproportionate amount of the earth's resources. Also, people may feel disgust for extremely large families because they realize (probably at a gut level) that the more people there are being born, the more competition there is for food, resources, housing, shelter, jobs, etc. Having more than 2 children is over-replacement. We have been being replaced since the 19th century in numbers alone. Adding more people only causes stress to the environment, the job market, the housing market, etc. Given these facts, trust me -- no one is envious. No one. Having a huge family is nothing but ego and pride bordering on hubris. I personally cannot imagine what it would be like to think that the world needed 10 more of me! An incredible thought. One of me is plenty. One last thought: having children because your church/religion says it is the thing to do is in a way playing the eugenics hands. More of us, less of them. I am more and more beginning to see religion as an insane meme that promotes lack of critical thinking, lack of forward planning, lack of concern over the here and now in favor of some indeterminate future reward. Personally I think if people REALLY cared about themselves, the earth and their neighbors, they'd think seriously about all the reality that having children includes, like shit, piss, vomit, screaming, lots of money to raise them, constant worry, and the fact that sometimes no matter what you do, some kids don't turn out to be winners; some children grow up and go to jail, deal drugs, kill people. I think people should think seriously about everything that parenthood implies, because the Kodak moments are a very small part of it all. I hope this helps. I am always intrigued by the parental mindset; it is a sensibility and a temperament vastly different from my own.

User Detail :  

Name : Katie, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 37, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lani
    Participant
    Unfortunately, it is other peoples buisness. Due to overpopulation, the world is running low on non-renewable resources. Like water, gas, oil. And the question must be raised... does earth have a carrying capacity? When do we reach it? Are we close? So, even if a family can afford their children, they're adding to overpopulation. Two children should be the amount of any given family; replace only yourself and your spouse. If you want more children, there are millions of children who need homes out there.

User Detail :  

Name : Lani, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, City : Santa Cruz, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Stacie
    Participant
    When my best friend told me she was pregnant with her 7th child I said to her, 'have you figured out what caused it yet'. It was purely a joke, but then again, she is my friend and knew it was a joke. I would NEVER say that to just anyone! They are NOT on welfare!!!! Her husband works 6 days a week. There was a point a couple of years ago when they did accpet food stamps because they truly needed it because her husband was just starting up a business. I have three children of my own, and that is all that I want and can afford. Just because people have large families doesn't mean they are low lives who sit back and collect welfare and if you beleive that then you are stereotyping all people. I don't have a problem with couples who have 10 or 15 children as long as they can support them emotionally, physically and psychologically. The only problem I do have with people who choose to have multiple children is if you teach your children to live off of welfare. Where you have generation after generation living off of welfare because its 'easier'. This can be said about a family with 1 child as well. God Bless everyone who has children because it takes alot of love and patience.

User Detail :  

Name : Stacie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 32, City : Nowhere, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : student/mom, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 6 posts - 61 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.