Large families: none of your business!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)
  • Author

AM24072
    Participant
    I think there are a bunch of reasons for this, some less valid than others. I think the main reason may be that a lot of adults, myself included at times, get annoyed when parents with a whole gaggle of kids come into a restuarant or some other public place. Oftentimes parents have trouble controlling their kids in these situations, so the kids are louder and more rowdy and bother all the adults. I think that's the main reason. I also think that there is a some of a correlation between large families and bad parenting. This doesn't always apply, certainly, but oftentimes with large families, parents have less time to check on and mentor their individual children, leading to situations like the kind described above. I have my own reasons to be slightly disapproving. The rapid growth of the world's population is responsible for almost all of the world's environmental problems, and personally I feel that responsible, knowledgable parents should realize that their decisions to have more children affect everyone else in the world. So I would hope that people choose to have smaller families because they understand how the rapid growth of the world's population, coupled with rapid industrialization endangers the future of our world. My final reason for slight disapproval is that people who have a lot of children disproportionately burden the communities they live in, mostly through costs associated with schools. They take more advantage of the services offered by the community, namely the schools, but they don't pay any more property tax than any other person, and that's the main source of school funds. So I feel that way sometimes, that people are taking advantage, knowingly or not, of my tax dollars, and not paying more for their large families.

User Detail :  

Name : AM24072, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 27, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : lawyer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ember25349
    Participant
    GAH! I did it wrong again, didn't I? Stupid, stupid stupid! YOu know what? Just forget it. I'm out of here. SORRY MR. EDITOR!

User Detail :  

Name : Ember25349, Gender : F, Age : 15, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Ember25355
    Participant
    Personally, I dislike the idea of having so many children simply because of environmental issues. The world is overcrowded. Humans 'thin the populations' of species of animals who are 'over-populating' certain areas, when in reality the only reason there's a lack of space is that humans have hemmed them in. Then these same people turn around and increase the human population tenfold. I am very much and environmentally-friendly person, and I care a lot about animal rights. I admit that I've said some contemptuous things about people with large families when I get angry, mainly because I see them as a large part of one of the main problems facing wildlife.

User Detail :  

Name : Ember25355, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, 

Ember
    Participant
    (NOTE TO EDITORS: I ANSWERED THE FIRST TIME THE WRONG WAY. FORGIVE ME, AND FEEL FREE TO TAKE THIS NOTE OUT. I'M LEARNING.) I admit to having said some contemptuous things about large families in the past, mainly because of environmental concerns. Thinking about how many species of animals humans feel the need to 'thin the populations of' when the only reason they're running out of food is that humans are taking away their land, I can't help but feel angry at those who have worked to increase the already insupportable human population.

User Detail :  

Name : Ember, Gender : F, Age : 15, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

R-Flagg
    Participant
    because in spite of however much money you may have, your behavior is thoughtless in regards to the future generations of your progeny. The planet has FINITE space on it. As the birth rate increases, so does the consumption of natural lresources. God said 'go forth and multiply', not 'breed yourselves out of existence'. God also gave people intellects to reason this out. Perhaps people should put more energy in to one or two kids, rather than popping out 4, 5, or (are you on CRACK??) MORE?

User Detail :  

Name : R-Flagg, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, 

Melody
    Participant
    I can't speak for everyone, but my own concerns regarding large families stem from the fact that this is really a very small planet with very limited resources, and those resources are rapidly being depleted. Precious land is being consumed to create housing, schools, shopping centers, roads, etc. to support an ever-growing population. Energy sources are also running out. Jobs are scarce as it is, and becoming moreso with the increasing number of people entering the work force. And that's just in this country! It just seems to me, and to people with whom I've talked about this very issue, that it's more responsible and far-sighted to limit the number of children one brings into the world so as not to add to its already formidable burden. Which is not to say that I don't believe thinking people should have children; just not an abundance of them.

User Detail :  

Name : Melody, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 40, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Charles
    You are, in fact, asking others to bear the burdon of a lot of children. The underlying cause of most of the world's problems is over population. This includes AIDS, turf wars, global warming, you name it.

User Detail :  

Name : Charles, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : a little of everything, Age : 55, City : Douglasville, State : GA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Abbie S.
    Participant
    Dear Augustine, Large families are everyone's business. Our population is rising to quickly and quite frankly, the world would have a healthier environment if we were a tenth the population we have now. Having more than 2 or 3 children significantly adds to the population problem around the world, especially when people are living two and three times as long as we did a hundred years ago and when infant mortality is so low.

User Detail :  

Name : Abbie S., Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 32, City : Hell, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

JD-Ricks21122
    Participant
    I love history. It has always been the practice of certain groups of individuals to adopt a 'condescending attitude' toward those who adhere to what they consider 'outdated' moral codes. The media have made it even more popular today to laugh at those with time-tested values. Parents sacrificing to raise a large, loving family as opposed to the selfish 'more for me' attitude of this generation is hard for them to understand. If I were you I'd just be glad that those who think it clever to make rude comments about others' values are NOT reproducing in large numbers.

User Detail :  

Name : JD-Ricks21122, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : crippled with arthritis, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Mormon, Age : 50, City : Mesa, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : mechanic, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

elizabeth
    Participant
    Maybe they are trying to make conversation. It's common practice to comment about another person's family. If you have two or three kids, you get 'what lovely children.' If your family is considered out of the 'norm' of 2.5 kids, people feel they must remark on how unusual it is, or make a joke to cover up what they are REALLY thinking. If you have one, you get 'when are you having more?' to cover for 'are you having problems getting pregnant?' Whereas when you get comments about having a large family, people are probably thinking, 'in this overpopulated world full of unwanted children, and with the costs of college education rising exponentially every year, what in the world are you thinking?'

User Detail :  

Name : elizabeth, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 34, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Sam28557
    Participant
    While I can't speak for other people, I know that large families have always seemed irresponsible to me from a standpoint of sustainability. Population growth is insane and the earth simply cannot hold much more. In that way, we are all called upon to support your family and every family.

User Detail :  

Name : Sam28557, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 18, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Curious, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Vail
    I'm sure they just feel they are being clever or funny. Let's face it, large families are unusual these days, and you do stand out! While I'm not in the habit of commenting, I do wonder how you manage. One child has been a job for me. As far as 'undesirable 'other' groups' I think you might be reading way too much into it. As a fat guy with a name that is percieved as feminine, I just disarm people by making jokes about it first. Then we both feel better. You could make jokes about 'it takes a village' or being assigned your own zip code. Believe me, you'd be happier.

User Detail :  

Name : Vail, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Mutt, Religion : Atheist, Age : 40, City : Philly, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
    With rights come responsibilities. Few would object to the Kennedy, Rockefeller, DuPont clans having many children, mainly because we assume they have the financial assets to raise and support them well. If they became wards of the state, and continued to breed while on the dole, many would shout, 'Unfair!', for having to bear the open-ended tax burden necessary to support such activity. Even a compassionate pleuralistic society has limits.

User Detail :  

Name : Harvey Turner, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 72, City : Scottsdale, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : Physician - Retired, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Greg21576
    Participant
    I have 3 children who I care for without public assistance of any kind. And if you want to talk about tax $, I pay over $8500 annually in property taxes, (not counting my office) more than most people, so I don't think my kids are stressing the public school system. In any event, Alex, it appears you are far too young to understand what it is like to raise children.Some people like larger families as it creates a whole new dynamic not found in single or two child households. As for global over-crowding, there are far more populous countries, and our technology allows farms to produce more than ever before.

User Detail :  

Name : Greg21576, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 40, City : Gainesville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : professional, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Pieter
    i would like to know how many kids were talking here, but ill continue anyway. can you really give each of those kids adequate love and attention?? do you know how many people there already is in the world? didnt china or japan put a restriction on the number of children each family could have? i know i hope to never see that day anywhere. There are sanitary reasons we dont need to be overpopulated and we are already using up our natual rescources at an alarming rate. also, being constantly pregnant like that cant be good for your body. what about school and weddings and first cars or any of that stuff? will all the kids be on their own 100 percent? why have so many kids anyway? i hear some religions believe that more kids equal a higher place in the afterlife. i think whoever started that one was smart in the sence that their religion would one day dominate all others. i like the religion that said the biggest sin was procreation. wow.

User Detail :  

Name : Pieter, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : I like houselhold objects including two mattresses, Disability : Not enough sex in cars, Race : Swedish/African American\Asain\ Illegal alien, Religion : Jelsafarian, Age : 86, City : Albequreque, State : CA Country : Chile, Occupation : we've been 86'ed, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.