Large families: none of your business!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • Author

Beth
    More power to ya, I agree.

User Detail :  

Name : Beth, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 34, City : Melbourne, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : freelance writer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

SlimyEwok
    Participant
    This is too obvious a matter for one with your side of the argument to exist. Diiiieeeeeeee. Just diiiiieeeeeeee. Have you never heard of OVERPOPULATION? Moron, these people with many children corrupt us. This is the stem of mass murders, muggings, the homeless, etc. Just diiieeeeeeeeee...

User Detail :  

Name : SlimyEwok, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Take too long., Age : 19, City : Millersville, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : Genetic Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Chris Bruk
    The single greatest reason that large families would encounter petty derision and witless remarks is that it is fairly unusual to see large families. People are not considering the advantages or disadvantages of large families, they merely see something different from the current average. A lot of people make noise about valuing diversity in th U.S. but all it takes to be buried with derision is to be different or unusual in some aspect. It has nothing to do with you personally, but if you are not in lock step with the herd, the herd will try make sure you know about it.

User Detail :  

Name : Chris Bruk, City : Kemah, State : TX Country : United States, 

Chris-Bruk
    Participant
    You can think that if you want, but if congress reined in their ridiculous pork projects, we could probably feed and house every citizen without any additional tax burden Here are a few highlights from the latest spending bill: $335,000 to protect sunflowers from blackbird damage in North Dakota, $60 million for a new courthouse in Las Cuces, New Mexico, $@225.000 to study catfish genomes at Alabama's Auburn University, I also heard something about a large sum of money earmarked for studying bear DNA but don't have the specifics. The biggest rider they slipped through on the omnibus bill was another relaxation of media ownership limitations. If we don't pay some attention to what our elected officials are doing instead of squabbling over small stuff, we will soon have corporate controlled media and state sponsored religion. Sounds pretty close to authoritian to me.

User Detail :  

Name : Chris-Bruk, City : Kemah, State : TX Country : United States, 

Tony H.
    Today we are living longer and multiplying faster. I saw on the discovery channel that 85% of humans that have ever lived are alive right now. Consider the implications of this. How long will this earth continue to support this population explosion? At some point we must all become aware that there is a problem and do something to fix it. China has already implemented restriction on how many children a family may have. Because they are nosey? No, because their country can no longer support its citizens.

User Detail :  

Name : Tony H., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Bahai Faith, Age : 32, City : Las Cruces, State : NM Country : United States, Occupation : Cabinet shop owner, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Doug
    Participant
    While it may be true that the size of your immediate family is 'none of your business', it becomes everyone's business when you consider the impact on the environment (all those people have to live somewhere), the food supply, waste management (garbage and sewerage), etc. In the 70's the concept of 'Zero Population Growth' was popular, and it was considered somewhat socially irresponsible to have more than two children. While I'm not advocating the type of population control system employed by the Chinese government, I can also point to the countries of China and India as examples of what happens when people reproduce indiscriminatly. The Earth is not a limitless ecosystem. Another point to consider is what happens when the population grows to the point where it self-corrects; either through disease or war (see World Wars I and II, and the Plague).

User Detail :  

Name : Doug, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Native American, Age : 47, City : Chicago area, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : technician, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Celi W
    Participant
    I know the couple does have the 'right' to have as many children as they want but for the larger families I have known in my life time, numerous children just increases the odds for numerous problems. We certainly have enough people in the U.S.A. now and too many of these people are homeless or living in poverty. I feel intelligent, responsible adults should look beyond their own bedrooms to the future of not only their children but of the mass produced children who have so many needs not being met. A couple might be providing just fine for a large family now but life can through some curve balls.

User Detail :  

Name : Celi W, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 62, City : Galax, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Professional, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Eugene
    Participant
    So, if parents can take care of ten children, that's okay. Does this mean that only rich people should have large families? What will happen to all the wealth when the parents die? Also, some of the resources used to take care of the ten children could have been spent on helping uplift the poor if there were only two or three children, although two is too much in some countries e.g. China. Admittedly first world countries with shrinking populations need bigger families to survive unless they encourage immigration from countries with 'surplus' populations. But big families should be a definite no in poorer countries. Of course, in poorer countries, children are the only form of social security. Basically, I'm saying the world is a screwed up place.

User Detail :  

Name : Eugene, City : Johannesburg, State : NA Country : South Africa, 

Alyson
    Participant
    I come from a Mormon background and we have lots of kids! Generally speaking, the negative attitude about big families comes from the intellectual elite. Here's my take: Some people are concerned about population growth. Others believe that big families are oppressive to women. Some people think that its impossible to raise well-adjusted kids if you have a lot of them. For these reasons, big families are sometimes perceived as irresponsible. I don't agree with any of these perspectives. I think family planning is highly individual.

User Detail :  

Name : Alyson, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 37, City : Gig Harbor, State : WA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Beth23180
    Participant
    If all those kids are in school, my taxes go towards their education. And unless that family's last name is Rockefeller, you can be they are getting subsidized lunches! In addition, if you have health insurance, you know already that they pay the exact same rate for 10-12 kids as I have to pay with just one. So my insurance premiums support them, too. Same with car insurance as there will likely be multiple teenagers on the road. The way they calculate premiums where I live (based on ZIP code), if one of those kids has a heavy foot, all the rest of the neighborhood's premiums will go up.

User Detail :  

Name : Beth23180, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, City : Las Vegas, State : NV Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Heather
    I personally am appalled when I see a couple who has more than 4 children. I can't imagine what they were thinking (Were they thinking at all?). This world is so heavily OVER-populated that for people to keep popping out more and more kids just seems stupid and selfish. Our world is filled with violence, crime, drugs, and more, yet you wish to keep bringing MORE people into this mess. If you have 3 girls, then at least one of them will be sexually assualted by the age of 18. Catholics really need to get over their aversion to birth control. It infuriates me that ANY religion would tell their members to NOT use birth control when our world is in a crisis due to overpopulation.

User Detail :  

Name : Heather, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 31, City : Cleveland, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : Self-employed - Internet, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Lucy
    Participant
    I think that it takes a very generous, loving couple to have more than two children. It is a blessing, requires courage, a lot of patience, and a extremely big heart. congratullations and God Bless all couples with more than two or three kids.

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Catholic, Age : 35, City : Merida, State : NA Country : Mexico, Occupation : housewife, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Cal
    When you say everyone is called upon to help support those children, you don't seem to take into account that everyone will also benefit from those children. The money you pay in taxes to support education is nothing compared to the money and time that parents spend raising children. Yet, childless people benefit from other people's children every day. Think of all of the goods and services that you consume. Unless you are a hermit, they were supplied by other people's children. If you ever collect social security, it will be paid for (mostly) by other peoples' children. If a childless person wants to be free of the 'burden' of paying for education, that's fine as long as they agree to pay a surcharge for all goods and services provide by other peoples' children and agree never to accept social security benefits. What about resource consumption? Let's assume that the average American consumes as much as 742 Ethiopians. So what? The average American worker is probably thousands of times more productive than some Ethiopian subsitance farmer. I don't think everyone should go out and have six kids, but the occasional large family merely offsets all the people who chose not to have children. The only thing you said that made sense was promoting adoption. Maybe you should try it.

User Detail :  

Name : Cal, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 45, City : Lakewood, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Wyn
    Because most parents in the US don't like their kids. We've all heard parents say, "I can't wait till summer is over and the kids go back to school!" The idea of having lots of kids is often viewed as something of a nightmare to US parents. Four kids alone is a huge number in the US. Part of this is due to economic thoughts: the fewer kids you have the higher your standard of living can be, because kids are EXPENSIVE! Personally, I find those few rare US folks who have more than four are either very special people who love children and make fantastic parents, or they are the lazy poor people who can't support the kids they already have popped out. Some of the most special people I have known are people who had large families and were committed to raising their children.

User Detail :  

Name : Wyn, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Augusta, State : GA Country : United States, 

lish24257
    Participant
    i think it depends on what class of family you're talking about. if you refer to urban, perhaps moderately well off people, well, generally these people have about 2 to 3 kids in a family. why? not for the sake of reducing world population certainly, but because raising kids and giving them a good life is getting more and more expensive. hence a family of 6 children would be unusual, and we all remark on things we find unusual. if the family is poor, they might be percieved to be living off taxpayers' money, and thus should not have that many children in the first place if they can't afford it. at least, that's a social perception. and yes, it's often linked to underlying rascism, that's where you get 'breeding' comments etcetera.

User Detail :  

Name : lish24257, Gender : F, Race : Asian, Age : 20, City : KL, State : NA Country : Malaysia, Occupation : student, Education level : High School Diploma, 
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.