Gay men acting like women

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author

Tamika24838
    Participant
    I don't understand why gay men act feminine. I understand that they like guys and all, and that's OK, but the whole acting like a woman thing just doesn't quite make sense.

User Detail :  

Name : Tamika24838, Gender : F, City : Bolingbrook, State : IL Country : United States, 

Lazy
    Participant
    That's a just a stereotype. Not all homosexual men are feminine. As for why the men who are feminine behave that way...beats me.

User Detail :  

Name : Lazy, City : Lazy, State : NA Country : Canada, 

tor24190
    Participant
    I cannot speak for every gay man on the planet, but personally I feel the tendency to act in feminine ways has 3 major reasons: 1: Many gay men has more female friends than male. You tend to unconciously aquire the habits and speech patterns of dear friends. 2: Some gay men do think more like women than like men. I know it's a stereotype, but it does seem to me that the average gay man cares more about aestetics and socializing than straight men. 3: Because they can. If a straight man has a passion for 'feminine' activities such as fashion or certain kinds of music, he has to keep it secret or face ridicule. Societys stereotypical image of a gay guy is feminine anyway, so he can indulge in those interests without losing status. I mean, if you're already branded as 'unmanly', you might as well use the freedom that stigma offers. Personally, almost all my friends are straight, and people can't tell that I'm gay. I do have some feminine traits (such as being fond of beautiful things, nature and the color pink) but so do a lot of the straight guys I know.

User Detail :  

Name : tor24190, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Disability : anxiety attacks, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 25, City : naestved, State : NA Country : Denmark, Occupation : unemployed, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Jay31078
    Participant
    I can't really say why some gay men act like women. I think it has to do with gay culture immitating heterosexuality so much, hence to fufill the role of straight women some gay men dress and act feminine and do some of the same things a woman could do sexually. But you shouldn't assume that all homsexual men act feminine, in or out of the bedroom. Its actually considered one of the most unattractive things a man can do by many homosexual men.

User Detail :  

Name : Jay31078, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Kinsey 6, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, 

Ed25571
    Participant
    I agree. I don't get it either. Even more I don't get why lesbians tend to look and dress like men. So much that even I made the mistake of hitting on one once! I'm a man and I like a man to look and act like one. But - as for them acting 'feminine', it isn't really feminine is it? I mean, think about it. How many women you know who have those behaviours or characteristics?. None. Yet we call those gay men's behaviour feminine. They surely didn't learn it from women!

User Detail :  

Name : Ed25571, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 43, City : Vancouver, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Alex
    Participant
    Sometimes...not always...homosexualty grows from a chemical imbalance in the body...much like diabetics lack a certain amount of the chemical needed to keep blood sugar in check, homosexuals lack the correct balance between estrogen and testosterone...which both males and females have (we all have both)...the imbalance causes a lesbian to have more testosterone than they by traditional reasons ought to, and gay men have more estrogen...once again this isn't the only reason gay people 'get gay'...but this is probably the reason why you have 'lipstick lesbians' as well as 'dykes' and though I'm not aware of the terms for the male versions of such, the same on the male homosexual side. Often they will pair in a sense where one has more manliness *testosterone* and one lacks it and has more femininity (I'm not sure that's a word) *estrogen*.

User Detail :  

Name : Alex, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : Bristol, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Student/Website Designer/Convention Services, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jay
    Participant
    Tamika, Femine gay guys are just being who they are. I know sometimes it seems to much, but the are all types of gay men out there. They have the right to be who they are. I'm gay but I don't consider myself a fem guy at all. More on the masculine side. Just let them be who they are, and if you don't like that, try to avoid those types. Hope this was a positive answer for you! Jay - Houston

User Detail :  

Name : Jay, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 26, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

nbs
    Participant
    Yeah, I've always wondered about homosexuals. Wondered if they: Do you receive or give anals? Do you cross dress? Are you a sex changed gay? Do you have breasts? Natural? Silicone? Are you a world wrestler bodybuilder wannabe or instead Cindy Crawford Wannabe?

User Detail :  

Name : nbs, Gender : F, Age : 30, City : New York, State : OK Country : United States, 

Jerry
    Participant
    If you can understand that 'they like guys,' it should not be difficult to understand that gay men 'act feminine.' After all, isn't it considered a feminine trait to like guys? Sexual orientation and gender-specific behavior are inextricably linked.

User Detail :  

Name : Jerry, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Humanist, Age : 50, City : Burnaby, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

James D.
    Where is your evidence for this 'inextricable link' between sexual orientation and (opposite) gender specific behavior? I and hundreds of gay men that I know naturally act exactly like straight men and have no feminine traits other than being sexually attracted to men. Some gay men do; some straight men have typically feminine traits too. Orientation and behavior are loosely linked, not 'inextricably linked'.

User Detail :  

Name : James D., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 47, City : Summit, State : NJ Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Rick29913
    Participant
    Question: Have YOU made a CONSCIOUS decision to 'act feminine' if you're female or 'act masculine' if you're male. Of course not. It's natural behavior that seems to come from deep inside you. Likewise, I'm convinced that sexual orientation and other behavior are the result of genetic and hormonal factors. You're right in thinking that it doesn't make sense for a gay man to 'act like a woman,' especially when trying to attract other gay men who are, for the most part, attracted to masculinity. In their youth, many effeminate gay men try to 'butch it up' to avoid ridicule and abuse. I myself studied my straight jock brother to copy his tough mannerisms. Masculine and feminine behavior can be learned, yes, but the basic psychological impulse seems to be inborn. In conclusion, I believe that many gay men act like women (and lesbians act like men) because they can't help it. It's their nature.

User Detail :  

Name : Rick29913, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 44, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Johnny29351
    Participant
    I think a lot of times gay guys say things or do things kind of like women because they have a lot of female friends they talk to all the time and they pick up some of their mannerisms. Think about it - gay men are much more likely than straight men to sit around talking with groups of women all the time. I think most of (SOME) gay men's talking/acting like women is an unintentional effect of hanging out with women.

User Detail :  

Name : Johnny29351, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 24, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Mike
    Participant
    Being gay meyself, having many friends who are gay and living in a community with a large gay population, I can honestly say that VERY few gay men act 'feminine'. If you were in a crowded room with most of my gay friends and did not know that they were gay, there would be absolutely no way you could even tell that they were gay. Okay, a few of us like to 'camp it up' a bit sometimes- but not 24/7. True, there are some real queens out there that tend to stand out because of their actions- and those actions make them immediately identifiable as gay- thus probably your reaction that ALL gay men are that way. We're not, babe. On the lesbian side, though I am CONSTANTLY amazed at the number of women who dress and act like men- even going as far as attempting to grow facial hair, getting clearly masculine haircuts, driving the big 4-wheel drive pickup, etc. One evening while out clubbing I found myself really attracted to a really cute, young 'guy'. I was flirting with him, having a really good time, when 'he' grabbed my hand, placed it on 'his' crotch, laughed and said 'ain't nothin' there to interest you- I'm 100% butch lesbian.' This girl even had a good mustache going!

User Detail :  

Name : Mike, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 42, City : Ben Lomand, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Jack21207
    Participant
    let me tell you something.... gay and str8 and bi's are all alike. I know gays who act totally masculine and gay who act totally feminine and also everywhere in between. I also know str8 guys and str8 girls who act totally masculine or totally feminie or somewhere in between. Youre going to have every possible outcome in every population. Sexual orientation and gender-specific behavior is not linked at all. Otherwise if it were then all the str8 acting gay boys i know would be liars and all the tom boy girls i know would be have to go a buy dresses and hgh heels. Look at the real world. You can't just say blanket statements like that. Everyone is just them selves, gay, str8, masc, fem, wahtever

User Detail :  

Name : Jack21207, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 25, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Grad Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Michael
    Participant
    Who we classify as gay men and women, a number of Native American cultures call 'two-spirit' people, because they have the spirit of both male and female in them. Because of this duality ('in touch with their feminine side' as we say for many gay men), they often held very special, sometimes revered positions in their tribes. I guess their cultures understood much earlier than ours that we are pretty fabulous.

User Detail :  

Name : Michael, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Recovering Catholic, Age : 39, City : Fouquette, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.