Do you read while you’re…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Renea
    Participant
    I was with some female friends the other day and mentioned that I thought a particular book was 'good porcelain throne reading.' They looked at me funny, and one said, 'That must be a guy thing.' Do women not read on the toilet? If not, why not? Men, do you read magazines and books while doing your duty? Please say yes - and let these women know about the pleasure of a really good ... read.

User Detail :  

Name : Renea, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : late 50s, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 

P-R
    Participant
    Sorry, I'm a guy, and I don't read while doing my duty. I don't understand why people do read while 'on the throne.' The entire purpose of going to the bathroom is to go to the bathroom. Prolonging it just seems wasteful. If you have to sit in there and read for 30 minutes or more before you can finish, then you probably didn't have to go in the first place. Maybe it's just that I grew up in a household with only one toilet, but I just don't see the need to read on the pot.

User Detail :  

Name : P-R, City : Irvine, State : CA Country : United States, 

Kesha
    Participant
    It is more male-oriented to read in the bathroom. Why? Who knows? Most women want to use the potty and then go on with other things. I'm not saying I've never read while 'using' the bathroom, but I usually don't. My boyfriend, on the other hand, will finish half a 400-page book while on the toilet. He says he can concentrate better. Hmm ... maybe I should try it more.

User Detail :  

Name : Kesha, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 26, City : Pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Computers, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

NJW
    Participant
    I've got other male friends who are big toilet readers, but I've never understood it. The way I see it is that if you've got time to attend to anything but the matter at hand, then maybe you're just not getting enough fiber in your diet.

User Detail :  

Name : NJW, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 25, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Blythe
    Sure women read on the 'porcelain throne.' I can't imagine sitting there doing nothing. Even if there are no reading materials provided, I usually read whatever's close at hand - shampoo bottles, graffiti, whatever. I am curious now what others do while going to the bathroom - stare into space?

User Detail :  

Name : Blythe, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 31, City : Clinton, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : greenhouse manager, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Todd24643
    Participant
    I've tried it, but rarely have time to read on the toilet. I usually do my business in 60 seconds or less and move on.

User Detail :  

Name : Todd24643, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 38, City : Gastonia, State : NC Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Senetra
    Participant
    Yes, I read in there.It relaxes me.

User Detail :  

Name : Senetra, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 29, City : Anderson, State : IN Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Kay26735
    Participant
    I'm a woman and read while on the 'porcelain throne.' It takes a minute or two, so why not read? It's not like I can do anything else at the time, and I like reading.

User Detail :  

Name : Kay26735, Gender : F, Age : 38, City : Lansing, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Aishe
    Participant
    I always read when I'm on the toilet. I have a stack of comic books permanently there. Sometimes I might even yell to my sister, 'Bring me that new Cosmopolitan!' if I want to read something else. And I know I'm not alone: many of my friends also read on the toilet, but I have to admit, most of them are guys.

User Detail :  

Name : Aishe, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 22, City : Turku, State : NA Country : Finland, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Stacey27917
    Participant
    I've had a few conversations about this very question. I wonder if other women feel comfortable taking reading materials with them into the bathroom, specifically a public bathroom. Men seem to not think twice grabbing a newspaper at work and heading into the throne. Women don't seem to do it nearly as much as men. In fact, other than myself, I've never seen a woman do that. I do it because some things don't go as quickly as you'd like, so it's good to have some distraction other than the toothpaste, mouthwash, etc. (By the way, I have heard that it's not good for your parts to hang out there longer than necessary, that it puts too much stress on 'it.') At my old job, the men's room had a magazine rack right next to the throne, but the women's room had none. Also, I once saw an email about the men in an office discussing the various bathrooms in the building and which was the best to use for such moments. If there is any gender difference in this, I wonder if it all revolves around the issue of it being OK for men to expel various gases in front of other people but not so good for women to do the same.

User Detail :  

Name : Stacey27917, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 30, City : Ellicott City, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : Computer Consultant, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

ane
    Participant
    I read in the bathroom. As a matter of fact, I just finished reading 'James and the Giant Peach.' Last month it was 'The Count of Monte Cristo.' I started this practice while in high school. I was taking a lot of honors and AP courses and was finding that I could never find time enough to complete all the readings. I had a girlfriend who suggested I start doing my readings during my 'free time' in the bathroom (that's how she finished all the required readings). It worked because it forced me to be focused - I had nothing to pull my attention away. And usually I am in such a 'zone' that I stay in there long after the deed is done (usually long enough to read a chapter or two). I am now in a graduate program and still have the same habit. I even keep 'Where's Waldo' and 'I Spy' in there to keep me busy. I can't just sit there and do nothing. If I don't read a book, then I wind up counting tile, contemplating toilet tissue or reading shampoo ingredients. By the way, this is also a great place to polish your toes.

User Detail :  

Name : ane, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 23, City : houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rina
    Well, if all I have to do is #1, then no, I don't read on the toilet, because I'm outta there in thirty seconds. If it's #2, then yes, a lot of the time, I read. I started this little practice because I lived in a large, noisy household, and it was a way to read a few pages in relative peace and quiet. I do not, however, advertise the fact that I read on the toilet, and here's where I think men and women differ a bit.

User Detail :  

Name : Rina, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 22, City : Royal Palm Beach, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

C. Page
    Participant
    Sure I enjoy reading a book while on the throne. If I open a book near my wife she will instinctively start talking to me causing me to lose my place in the book. Ive noticed that she does this every time I try to read. We can be on an airplane and not saying a word to each other and if I open a book there she goes with questions. I can even talk to her for a while then after I am sure that conversation hasn't morphed into another one I will try to resume reading and she will start talking to me again. I don't think she realizes she is doing this but she does....so yeah I keep a novel in the restroom at home. I find it relaxing and though it takes awhile to finish a book I do get to finish it.

User Detail :  

Name : C. Page, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 38, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kristina
    I have never heard the stereotype that women are less likely to read when on the toilet. In fact, my boyfriend and I are always making jokes about what is appropriate 'toilet reading'. So, yes, some women do read while on the toilet. With me, I will usually do this if I have to do more than just urinate.

User Detail :  

Name : Kristina, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 20, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : Transcriber, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Shao-lyn
    Participant
    I'm female and read on the toilet! Sometimes I might spend about half an hour reading in there more than concentrating on what I'm supposed to do. A friend of mine keeps magazines in his toilet for guests. My whole family reads in the toilet. Makes the task a little more entertaining instead of just staring at bathroom tiles.

User Detail :  

Name : Shao-lyn, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 20, City : Kuala Lumpur, State : NA Country : Malaysia, Occupation : Designer, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.