Do lesbians bother straight women?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Are women as offended of lesbians as men are of gay males?

User Detail :  

Name : Grant McKee, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 23, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jessica B.
    Participant
    No, not really. A lesbian tried to pick me up one time, and I was actually a little flattered. She was a pretty girl, and had I been a lesbian, too, we might have made a nice couple. As it was, I demured. But I don't particularily find gays or lesbians threatening.

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica B., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 16, City : Jackson, State : MS Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Lisa22799
    Participant
    I don't feel threatened or offended by a woman being lesbian. I view her as a woman first, and her sexuality poses no threat to me. Only her personality could do such, and that has nothing to do with her being gay. Generally speaking, I don't feel women are as threatened by lesbians as men are by gays. I think it has a lot to do with women being discriminated against and being considered second-class, so we have never experienced feeling like the 'superior majority' ( as men do). I also think the double standards in our society between lesbians and gays have an incredible impact on who feels threatened/offended. We live in a society in which men are supposed to be and viewed as strong, smart and emotionally solid, and the awful stereotype is that gay men are the complete opposite of the 'ideal man.' Women are supposed to be feminine, attractive, soft-spoken and distinctly emotional, and a lesbian woman can be viewed as such as long as she's not the 'butchy,' unattractive stereotype of a lesbian woman. I think women may be more threatened by the latter stereotype than they would the pretty blonde next door. There's also the stereotype that lesbians are sexually confused or sexual deviants, so perhaps some women feel more at ease because they figure, 'She's finding herself' or 'She's confused.' No matter the reason, it's all about a person's self-confidence, and I am completely confident with the person I am as a whole. Who cares who you sleep with and love or what sex they are? Now, how many people you're sleeping with might pose a problem...

User Detail :  

Name : Lisa22799, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, City : Gaithersburg, State : MD Country : United States, 

Lucy22441
    Participant
    As a straight woman I am not at all offended by lesbians. A person's sexual orientation is not that big of an issue. Some people are straight and some are gay - end of story. I have been hit on by a few women, and it's no big deal. I just tell them that I am straight and thank them for the compliment. I actually made a friend once in that situation. The woman hitting on me thought it was really cool that I didn't stress out about being mistaken for a lesbian, so she sat down and bought me a drink anyway. We chatted for awhile and found out we had a lot in common. We've been friends ever since. I also know many straight men who aren't offended by gay men. I think that it basically comes down to this: Once straight people realize that homosexuality isn't something that you 'catch' like the flu, and they are secure in their own sexual orientation, then they aren't threatened by gays and lesbians. They will realize that sexual orientation isn't that big of a deal.

User Detail :  

Name : Lucy22441, Gender : F, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 26, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Denise
    Participant
    Well, I guess I am in the minority on this issue, but I do feel a bit threatened by lesbians - a few years ago there were threee lesbians living in the apartment next to mine - and all three of them tried at one time or another to pick me up - this may not have been so bad - had they acceted my response and explanation that I was straight and was not interested in women. However they would not relent and got so bad that I was unable to go to my favorite bar across from our building as they were always there. I suppose I should realize that not all lesbians are alike just as not all men are alike and I shouldn't stay away from them all just because of a few that bothered me.

User Detail :  

Name : Denise, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 29, City : London, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Sean Hodges
    Participant
    You assume all men are afraid of gay males. Not so! I was asked out by a colleague at university. I turned him down as nicely as possible, and we ended up quite good friends, partly because I was one of the few people who knew he was gay at that time, so it was easy for him to talk openly to me. My girlfriend and I had several gay friends at university (all male). I never understood why anyone would be intimidated by them. They were all nice enough chaps, and saying 'no' to them if they asked you out would be easy enough. I guess some men have the fear that they might be raped by a gay male. My attitude (as a straight male) was always - the more gay men there are, the fewer straights I will have to compete with for the straight women!

User Detail :  

Name : Sean Hodges, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 36, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Geologist, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

SB
    Participant
    I've always thought that straight men who were vehemently opposed to gay men were, deep down, just afraid of unwanted sexual advances. I think men as a group just take it for granted that they're the ones with the power and the idea that another man who is, presumably, equally powerful, could make a pass at them or even rape them, scares them to death (guess what we women live with every day, guys!) Of course, the straight men I've noticed who are really uncomfortable around gay men are the quickest to harass and intimidate straight women. It's interesting to see the shoe on the other foot for once! By the way, I'm a straight woman with lots of gay men and lesbian friends - and none of my straight friends, male or female, have a problem with gay men OR women. I don't have homophobes as friends.

User Detail :  

Name : SB, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 26, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Kerry
    As a women who sees women, I have found a pretty positive reaction. The straight women don't want me picking up on them, but why would I waste my time? They are better suited to be friends to me.

User Detail :  

Name : Kerry, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 31, City : Ventura, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Stage Worker, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Julie
    Participant
    I have never been offended by someone else's sexual preferences because I am quite comfortable with my own.

User Detail :  

Name : Julie, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 31, City : Woodbridge, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Event Planning, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Stephanie27796
    Participant
    One of my best friends decided to 'play with other girls' I guess is the best way to put it. She's always been into men and still is but she won't turn down a female either. Well she told me she always thought I was attractive and I told her, nope I'm straight and that was it. We're still really close friends. But had she persisted she'd be liable to get slapped just like a man who persisted after I turned him down.

User Detail :  

Name : Stephanie27796, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 21, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.