Baffled by U.S. restrooms

• This topic has 10 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 25 years ago by TB.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Chip32131
    Participant
    I guess it's a matter of what we're used to. Not only does it not embarrass me to have my legs seen in a public restroom, it has never occurred to me to think anything of it. As far as someone hearing me use the restroom, well, it's really no secret why I'm in there, so why would "sound effects" matter one way or another? Regarding your comment about putting things on the dirty restroom floor, I am baffled about that as well. As often as I can, I hang my purse, jacket, packages, etc., on the hook inside the stall, if one is available.

User Detail :  

Name : Chip32131, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 28, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kanako26745
    Participant
    The biggest culture shock I had when I went to the United States was when I walked into a public restroom. Why is the wide space necessary between the door and the floor? Aren't people ashamed of their legs being seen? And why do people put their stuff on the dirty floor? Also, aren't they ashamed of being heard when they are going to the bathroom? Some of them even talked to me while I was in there, and I was so ashamed. In my country, there is even a tape recorder installed on the wall to block out the noise.

User Detail :  

Name : Kanako26745, Gender : F, Race : Asian, Age : 25, City : Tokyo, State : NA Country : Japan, 

Cynthia
    I am not ashamed about seeing other people's legs. That's why people wear short pants and short skirts. Unless skirts and pants are hideously short, people generally have no problems with leg-showing.

User Detail :  

Name : Cynthia, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Christian, Age : 19, City : Kingston, Ontario, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : University student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Anne B.
    Participant
    I don't think most Americans are ashamed of their legs, but I do think it bothers some people that there is a big space under the door (where someone might accidentally get a peek of what they're not supposed to). I'm also pretty sure a lot of people worry about the noise they make, especially if going No. 2 or using feminine hygiene products. I think the problem is we don't really have a choice, and since we've been using bathrooms like this ever since we were little kids, we're pretty much used to it.

I have been to Japan and used the public bathrooms there, complete with otohime noise buttons (I think that's what they're called). I would also note that in Japan it is probably more important to have low doors because many toilets there are the squatting type, unlike the Western sitting type.

I guess America is either not yet blessed with Japanese toilet advancements, or we have a male-dominated public bathroom industry. I'm not sure, but I wouldn't mind Japanese public bathrooms.

User Detail :  

Name : Anne B., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : 3/4 Japanese, and some other stuff, Religion : Atheist, Age : 19, City : San Diego, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : College student, Social class : Middle class, 

Steve27652
    Participant
    I was dumbfounded to read that people might be ashamed to have their legs seen in a public restroom. I can't imagine why you might be. In fact, I think a big part of the reason the doors do not go to the floor is that it allows you to see if the stall is occupied.

I think most people try to keep the noises to a minimum, but to this American it seems a little obsessive to play music to cover it up. It's just natural body functions, after all; something everyone does every day, nothing to be ashamed of.

Putting your stuff on the floor is kind of gross, but then again it depends on how clean the floor is and whether your stuff is in a plastic bag.

User Detail :  

Name : Steve27652, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Rochester, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

TB
    Participant
    I'm with you! Although I've never lived anywhere else, I can't understand the lack of privacy in our public restrooms (and I'm a woman; I can't even imagine how the guys stand it).

I went to Europe for the first time last year and I thought it was great. All the stall doors went down to the floor, and they locked securely - no peeking under to check for feet. I felt like I was actually in the 20th century. And I agree, while you're taking care of business is no time for a chat.

It's just one of those things about my own culture that I just don't get...

User Detail :  

Name : TB, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 20, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, 

SR28485
    Participant
    We are used to it. If you grow up with it, of course you aren't going to be ashamed. At home, I share a community-style bathroom with many housemates - girls and guys - who hear me in the toilet stall and see me wrapped in a towel coming out of the shower. They do the same things in front of me. Maybe this has desensitized me, because the other day at work I used the toilet while a male janitor was in the restroom. I just really had to go. I don't want to be ashamed of normal things I do. Everyone goes to the bathroom.

I put my stuff on the floor only when there isn't a hook on the door. I think bathroom floors are pretty gross.

User Detail :  

Name : SR28485, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 21, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : College student, 

Mina20471
    Participant
    I lived my whole life in Europe and only recently moved to the United States. At first I also felt a little bit strange going to the public restrooms here because of the "sound effects." What I found different in the United States is that all toilets are already much more filled with water. Therefore, the sound effect is inevitable.

User Detail :  

Name : Mina20471, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Augustine23646
    Participant
    I had never thought of legs showing under a toilet stall, but I will from now on, I assure you. Some reflections on differences in toilet "procedures" from country to country:

(1) European toilets indeed have less water in the bowl. The bowl is a small indentation near the top of the tank with a shallow pool, so that when the toilet is flushed, water flows into the pool and takes the waste with it. The first time one ever sees this... (2) European toilet paper is rougher than its U.S. counterpart, and in the former East Bloc its consistency more resembles a brown paper bag. I found when I was over there that only wetting it down thoroughly with water made it fit to use. When I returned to the U.S., voila, I discovered I had to wet our domestic TP for "No. 2" or else I could not feel clean. I do that to this very day. (3) Why do toilets in high schools not have doors? In an older high school I attended, the toilets in the gym had no dividers whatsoever, and elsewhere, the toilets had dividers that came up only waist-level. I will spare the reader the potential gross visual effect. Yet one more way American secondary education is demeaning and at times even sociopathological.

User Detail :  

Name : Augustine23646, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 38, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kerry
    I choose not to be disturbed by sound effects. I'm never going to see this person in the next stall, they're not going to remember me or this time, and it's unhealthy to stifle eliminations for fear of making noise.

I don't understand about putting your purse on the dirty floor, either - that's really gross. Please give me a hanger or a pulldown shelf, any day. As for conversation, I have conversed in a stall- it depends on who I'm with. A couple of my friends and I were reading the graffiti to each other... :)

User Detail :  

Name : Kerry, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 29, City : Ventura, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
    Unlike some Japanese women, most American women are not ashamed of their legs. They do not worry about daikonashi. American women are also probably not nearly as shy as Japanese women about the noise. However, there were public restrooms for men in Japan where there were no doors. That was a shock for me.

User Detail :  

Name : R. de Lorimier, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 31, City : San Francisco, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Web Designer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.