American influence on world society

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Rob M.
    Do people feel that the United States is influencing the rest of the world on how people look, dress and eat? For example, why do teenagers worldwide dress in American styles and use American-derived words, expressions and slang, etc.?

User Detail :  

Name : Rob M., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, City : Glasgow, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, 

S29529
    Participant
    As an American teenager I traveled to nine foreign countries (spending an average of 2-6 weeks in each), and have seen firsthand the American influence in other countries. At first it was a little flattering, but as I thought about it, I found it was truly sad. In many places the teenagers choose their clothes and their music according to what they have been told American teenagers like. Their impressions of the United States are very often skewed by industry, or are almost a decade behind. But it has been my experience that teenagers in foreign countries do have the desire to be as much like American teenagers as they can.

User Detail :  

Name : S29529, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 19, City : Ann Arbor, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Nelson-A20157
    Participant
    The United States is an economical, military and cultural empire, just like the Roman empire was 2,000 years ago. The influence by the Roman empire exists even today. The United States exports its culture (McDonalds, Levis, Tommy Hilfiger, Halloween, Jordan & Chicago Bulls, Harley Davidson, American Football, etc.) through the media (movies and television, music industry, etc.) and through business. The influence is vast, almost wherever you go in the world. We the 'gentiles' must take the best from their society and reject the bad things (excessive materialism, arrogance, savage capitalism, cultural ignorance, superficiality, aggressiveness, etc). We must also uphold our own values and cultures, like the Latin community is doing in the United States, making Americans learn Spanish and dance salsa. The Jewish community has survived many an empire because of this. All empires throughout history have fallen, and normally they fall from within, from their own mistakes. Let's make the best of today's Roman Empire, until the foolish emperors and their supporters come along and let it fall.

User Detail :  

Name : Nelson-A20157, Gender : M, Race : White/Hispanic, Religion : Catholic, Age : 30, City : Caracas, State : NA Country : Venezuela, Occupation : Lawyer/Business, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

John J. D.
    Participant
    I think it partially has to do with the popularity of the American media (American movies, music, etc.), which obviously would spread the mannerisms of their own country. But I guess that still leaves a sort of chicken-and-egg question of why the American movies, music, etc. are so popular. Are Americans seen as more interesting or more fun-loving, or perhaps simply more wealthy?

User Detail :  

Name : John J. D., Gender : M, Religion : Catholic, Age : 22, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Gloria S.
    What the United States lacks in history, we make up for in pop culture. I don't think America ever had a set agenda for creating trends across the globe. It was just a by-product of the huge success of Hollywood combined with the music industry. Any time you have broad exposure of a selected few, their clothes, mannerisms and hairstyles, etc. are going to be copied. Americans definitely buy into it; why wouldn't others buy into it as well?

User Detail :  

Name : Gloria S., Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 22, City : Tokyo, State : NA Country : Japan, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Joshua-S
    Participant
    American culture influences cultures around the world, no doubt. But I don't think that means we are destroying these cultures. During the '60s, American culture was highly influenced by British fashion and music. Today, we see Latin, African and various Asian influences. American culture is unique because it is constantly changing as new influences enter. Remember, though, no one embraces a culture with no appeal. We wouldn't have had a British invasion if we didn't find something appealing about the culture. Imitation is a grand form of flattery.

User Detail :  

Name : Joshua-S, Gender : M, Age : 21, City : Pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Jenny30908
    Participant
    I think the United States has become a de facto empire, and that it very effectively markets itself through many types of media as powerful, successful, rich, holding the moral high ground as the 'world's police force' - and, in short, as being the place where everything that is 'cool.' Dressing, acting and sounding like an American has become a kind of shorthand for being cool for many teenagers. And teenagers do shallow things (dress in whatever strange fashion is going, i.e. getting their eyebrow pierced) to try to appear cool with their friends. They also do dangerous things to appear cool (smoke, drink a lot). But I also think it's a two-way thing. America markets itself as being cool, but many people lap it up like a cat laps up cream. Some people are very easy to sell to.

User Detail :  

Name : Jenny30908, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 34, City : Wellington, State : NA Country : New Zealand, Occupation : Librarian, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 

K.J.
    The United States does not force its culture on anyone. American companies won't waste their time on something that does not give them profit, so they wouldn't supply things like Tommy Hilfiger, Levis unless there was a demand for them. People in other countries just want American things, though I have no idea why.

User Detail :  

Name : K.J., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 17, City : Bronx, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : High school student, Social class : Middle class, 

Infi
    I believe it's not so much 'American culture' as much as a major marketing push at the 'emerging markets' by the large corporations that manufacture what passes for 'American culture,' for example Coca-Cola, Levis and McDonalds. Personal experience working for a global advertising agency that handled all three clients while they were entering a previously unknown market has shown me that through advertising, press and careful cultivation of 'image,' these products are positioned to represent the 'new generation' and what have you, i.e. Be Cool, drink coke, wear Levis and eat a burger ... whether you grew up with it or not. As the U.S. market get saturated, demand needs to be created for their products, and youths are the easiest market to capture as their tastes and self-definition are yet unformed.

User Detail :  

Name : Infi, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Age : 33, City : Pittsburgh, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Account Executive, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.