African hair texture

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

T. Williams
    Participant
    I have been told that one's physical features are pre-determined by their ancestral geographical heritage (i.e. Europeans are fair-skinned due to lack of sun, etc.). If that's true, why do Africans have the hair texture that they do?

User Detail :  

Name : T. Williams, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 20, City : Woodbridge, State : VA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Mi
    Participant
    I read in a book that the reason was due to geographical location: the hair grows upwards and away from the scalp, which is actually a lot cooler than hair that lies down on the head. The coils that curl away from the head keep the body from overheating. I can't remember where I read this, though. I think a black scholar wrote it, but I can't be sure. It may have been NILE VALLEY CONTRIBUTIONS TO WESTERN CIVILIZATION; if it's not there, you should read it anyway. It's a really good book!

User Detail :  

Name : Mi, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Korean and Black, Religion : Baptist, Age : 22, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Impressive-Instant
    Participant
    Africans have the hair texture they do because of the climate of that particular region. Many parts of Africa are very hot because of its closeness to the equator, and because of this, people's scalps are dry because their hair is constantly exposed to the sun. It has been passed down for thousands of years, and that's why Africans have the hair texture they do. It would be weird for Africans to have oily hair in such a hot climate because it's counterproductive; it would burn your scalp, and it would dry out, anyway.

User Detail :  

Name : Impressive-Instant, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 18, City : Gardena, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : College student, Education level : High School Diploma, 

M. Hollowell
    Participant
    Why is it that african americans have hair texture different from all other cultures? Other cultures hair is straight, but not ours.

User Detail :  

Name : M. Hollowell, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/Indian/French/Spanish, Religion : Christian, Age : 36, City : Studio City, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Web Designer, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.