Reply To: Food (stamps) for thought

SheThing
Participant
Why is it that people expect poor people to look like trash? If you had seen that person dressed in dirty clothes with unwashed children in tow, you'd probably be posting 'Why do poor people take no pride in the way they look?' We don't live in a Third World country where Nike shoes and fashionable clothes are hard to come by. For every Henri Bendel's department store there is a Nordstrom Rack or Filene's Basement where over-priced fashionable gear can be purchased at a fraction of the cost. Maybe the person you saw was wearing full-priced designer clothing, or maybe he or she was wore fakes. Why does it matter? I have never met a poor person who, when forced to choose between a fake Prada bag or shoes for their children, would choose the bag. Feeding a family with children is expensive. My mother worked full time and still received food stamps to supplement her low income, and guess what? We had nice furniture and a color TV, I still got toys and new clothes for Christmas! I owe several grand to the U.S. Department of Education for my student loans, but I still buy things (sometimes very expensive things) for myself instead of working my fingers to the bone to pay it off early. Whatever happed to quality of life? We are so quick to judge lower-class people based on superficial observation.

User Detail :  

Name : SheThing, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Agnostic, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Professional, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class,