Reply To: Why do people think gypsies are dirty and stupid?

Susan
Participant
It's unfortunate, yes, that people generalize about minority groups and cultures. However, the reputation of your ancient lineage has been tarnished by some seriously sick criminals. Where I live, 'Gypsies' (as they identify themselves) are usually engaged in confidence-game scams and thieving, frequently against vulnerable elderly people. They are also known to use their own children as a diversion; causing accidents in stores, for example, so that all the managers will come running and another Gypsy can steal merchandise or cash. The crimes they commit are considered the lowest of the low: exploiting the most vulnerable victims they can find.

I understand not all people who identify themselves as Gypsies or Roma engage in this kind of conduct, but of course those are not the ones you hear about. And the Gypsies who do get caught are usually not at all shy about touting their heritage. In fact, in a class my husband went to, it was explained that Gypsy criminals frequently claim to have a 'divine license to steal.' Apparently there is a legend that a Gypsy attempted to steal the nails that were to be used to crucify Jesus. He was caught and punished or executed, but Jesus told him that from then on, his race would be exempt from punishment by heaven for stealing. I'd be interested to know if this is actually a widely held belief among Gypsies, or something that was invented by the 'Gadje' (non-Gypsies)

User Detail :  

Name : Susan, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States,