annonymous

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 46 post (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Black safety outside the city #30644

    annonymous
    Member

    I grew up in Detroit and live here now. I have also lived in the burbs. I am not surprised by your brother’s friends’ comments, but I think we need to keep things in perspective. What has been these men’s personal experiences in the suburbs? I think this is another situation that begs for us to take other factors into consideration. I believe in general that black men experience more negative encounters in the suburbs than black women. (We aren’t necessarily perceived as a threat. Not necessarily welcomed, but not intimidating.) How many white friends do these men have who live in the suburbs? This would take into account the comfort level due to familiarity with the area. Personally, because of the work I do (have done)in the outlying areas and because of where I was educated (90 percent white), I feel quite comfortable in the suburbs. Comfort level has a lot to do with exposure/experiences. My family and friends, some black and some white, live in these areas. And hasn’t someone mentioned elsewhere the similarities among socioeconomic groups? You didn’t say, but were your brother’s friends from the same income bracket?

    Beyond the racial difference (did they actually say this is what made them feel uncomfortable?), maybe they were uncomfortable being in an area foreign to them economically. Lastly, maybe they simply dreaded the very possible reality of being stopped by cops just because they were black men in a predominantly white neighborhood.

    User Detail :  

    Name : annonymous, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 34, City : Detroit, State : MI, Country : United States, 
Viewing 46 post (of 46 total)