Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Vincent B.MemberAlthough I still have my doubts, it is good to know there are some who still give a rat’s tail about those who have the least – which, by definition, does not equate to socialism. The 1980s seemed to have really warped the minds of a lot of people, when public attempts to help those who can’t afford the basic necessities of life are derided as ‘socialist,’ ‘communist’ or any other red-baiting perjorative. I believe this all started with Reagan’s turning the ‘War on Poverty’ into a war on the poor. The publishing of conservative/libertarian propaganda aided in this campaign by shifting the blame onto the lower class, charging that they are deficient in moral character and/or work ethic, among other accusations. Where there once were job centers, there are now only police officers who act like the German Gestapo (especially in NY, LA and here in Chicago) in keeping the poor contained. In any case, it is refreshing to hear that there are wealthy people who are concerned with our society and not only with their portfolios.
User Detail :
Name : Vincent B., Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 27, City : Chicago, State : IL, Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class,
Vincent B.MemberI’ve been asking the same question since I was 18, and that was almost 9 years ago. I can’t offer you an answer, just an opinion. I believe too many senior citizens think my generation (and that of my 18-year-old cousin) owes them blind respect because of what some of them did or went through more than half a century ago. Killing other people in a war doesn’t garner respect in my world, but that’s another issue for another time. Secondly, the Great Depression – and World War II, for that matter – happened WAY before my generation came into being. I can only show respect for deeds done in my lifetime. Those seniors I do respect are those who make an effort to communicate with teens and young adults, not lecture them condescendingly about how their problems are of little significance compared to ‘my day.’ I’m of the philosophy that respect is earned on BOTH sides of the generational divide. That is, just as my generation has to do what we need to in order to earn respect, so do the older generations (e.g. not pressuring Congress to sacrifice financial aid funding, with the sole motive being the protection of their own programs, as I believe happened to me in 1995 when my application for a scholarship was rejected due to budget cuts; or not believing every young person to be the enemy of ‘decent’ society because they don’t dress according to your criteria or listen to your type of music)
User Detail :
Name : Vincent B., Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 27, City : Chicago, State : IL, Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, -
AuthorPosts
Dare To Ask Talk And News About Our Differences