reparations? Why?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author

Susan27502
    Participant
    I agree, why do (some) young blacks think they deserve more than what they put forth? I went to school with a very nice black woman who had a lower GPA than me, and was in fewer school activities. We applied to the same school at the same time and who got in? Yep, her. It's very common for schools, jobs and other groups to accept the 'minority' over caucasians just so they don't seem 'racist'. Whatever, you get what you deserve. Just because their great great great grandparents went through something terrible, doesn't mean we still owe them anything.

User Detail :  

Name : Susan27502, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 21, City : Novi, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Law Enforcement Agent, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Sheldon Crook
    Participant
    Actually, the Black people in the US should thank their stars that their ancestors were brought here for any reason, even slavery. If they had not, then present-day Blacks would have been born in West Africa, not in the US. I have been in West Africa and the poorest Blacks in the US are better off than 99% of those in West Africa. The fact that they are Americans today are reparations enough compared to what they would be otherwise.

User Detail :  

Name : Sheldon Crook, City : Prescott, State : AZ Country : United States, 

Frances25167
    Participant
    To have this younger generation of African Americans feel entitled to reparations only furthers racial tensions. This is a group that did not suffer the greatest injustices, wanting compensation from a group that did do the evil. The younger generation whites will feel resentment towards their black peers. And besides, there are so many diverse groups that have suffered at the hands of other groups, including issues between men and women. How could anyone bring fairness to everyone. So much better to just fight for what is right and fair at present, and allow healing for those past evils.

User Detail :  

Name : Frances25167, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, 

Matt21824
    Participant
    If we step back for a second and see who deserves the reparations and who will be paying for them. If reparations are given now I (and my generation) will be paying for them. I work hard and money and resources are tight. I dont expect a handout from anyone, or have I ever pushed someone down for the color of their skin. I work with a variety of people from chinese, vietnamese, to european and none of them expect anything for how they were treated. They are all proud hard working Americans.

User Detail :  

Name : Matt21824, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 22, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Keisha26536
    Participant
    Reparations are not a young black person asking their white next door neighbor to give them money. It is a statement the American government needs to make to say, 'Yes we have systematically allowed for the mistreatment of a group of people based on the color of their skin and because of this mistreatment this people have suffered great harm. While other nationalities and ethnic groups were given a chance to build wealth to pass along to future generations, this group of people continued to suffer from the racist ways of individuals within hate groups, the government, and the private business sector. Although not everyone is guilty of this behavior, in fact many tried to stop it, but that does not change the fact it has existed in this country for three hundred years while the government allowed it to be perpetuated. Because of this many people belonging to this ethnic group have not been able to overcome poverty and are therefore stuck in a vicious circle where they live in poverty stricken neighborhoods that cannot support a viable business community, leading to an under-funded school system that provide them with an inadequate educate, leading to the inability to obtain decent employment, leading to a life of crime, unstable homes, and a new generation of poverty. In order to combat this problem programs that supports business development and education must be set up and funded to end the cycle.' There is no simple solution of course, but I do know the government helped create the problem, so it should help resolve it. If America can fund a war and invest money in other countries in the name of democracy, then it can definitely do it at home also.

User Detail :  

Name : Keisha26536, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, 

Keisha26535
    Participant
    Reparations are a widely debated issue in the African American community and I am of the belief that those who are against are usually those who do not understand the need for it. There are older people who are actually for reparations, such as U.S. Rep. John Conyers(D-Detroit) who has put forth a bill every year since 1989 to study the need for reparations. I am a younger person who thinks it is absolutely imperative that this government realize the wrongs of its past and make retributions for those wrongs. Reparations are not about handing out paychecks to black people. It is about making sure everyone has a fair start in life. I don't want to give a history lesson, but I will say this, slavery existed in this country for 250 years. During that time black people in America were not even considered human beings. It was a crime for them to learn to read or write, they could not participate in business transactions, they could not vote, beatings and lynchings were a common part of their lives and most importantly they were often bought and sold away from their loved ones. Slaves contributed to every aspect of the growth of America, but received no compensation or recognition. This was at a time when the American government was giving away land for individuals to develop and prosper from. When slavery ended in 1865 the treatment of black people like slaves did not end. Black people continued to be prevented from voting, due to the illiteracy among freed slaves they were consistently swindled out of their money and property, and attempts to own their own homes or businesses were often met with threats of violence. This behavior continued well into the 1900s and as immigrants from many European nations were allowed to come to America in search for a better life, people from Africa were kept out while the black people already here saw themselves being treated as if there were unwanted foreigners. There is no doubt black people were able to make strides despite all the roadblocks and obstacles pitted against them. This just showed they had perseverance, it didn't mean things were getting easier for them. Continued in next response.

User Detail :  

Name : Keisha26535, City : Detroit, State : MI Country : United States, 

Vail24477
    Participant
    I've heard old, young, black, white, and others voice a variety of opinions on this. Trouble is it's a Pandoras Box. Theoretically, there'd be nowhere to draw the line. What about American Indians, or Jews. What about the Japanese Americans who were locked up during WWII. What about Mr. Miller whose grandfather had to change their name from Mueller to avoid harrasment in WWI? Also, reparations would just build resentment in the white populace. There are other, fairer, more effective ways of remedying hundreds of years of slavery and discrimination if we would all accept that there is a need to do so.

User Detail :  

Name : Vail24477, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : mutt, Religion : Atheist, Age : 40, City : Philly, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Tracyee
    I do not believe that monetary reparations should be distribured. I believe the money would benefit and help more going to the inner city school system. I also to elevate racism, stereotypes and ignorance slavery, the holocaust, and actrocities committed during American history should be taught nation wide. To enlighten and uplift a lot of minds.

User Detail :  

Name : Tracyee, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 34, City : Glassboro, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : computer tech, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Reggie30124
    Participant
    The reparations issue is very complexed. I think reparations should be explored because of the legacy of Slavery and Jim Crow still exist. For example I am 29 years old my father is from Mississippi and as a child at times it was forbidden for him to do certain things and going to school was one of them. He went to school sporadically so his education level while not totally inadequate as a child when I needed help with my home work there was nowhere to turn. The next point is that Black people were brain washed during slavery. Community building was forbidden for the newly arrived slaves and families were most often separated and slowly but they mantality of the slave master became imposed on the slave. That may be the reason why many balck people believe that whooping or beatings will make people behave It worked during slavery it worked during Jim Crow and alot of Police think it works now. Last point The Federal Government thought that the mistreatment of Black people was terrible and to fix that some one proposed Affirmative Action. Affirmative Action was a good idea but Instead of helping the Black people who were the catalyst for the civil rights struggle who were and still are being lynched raped murdered and mistreated in the most brutal ways the added language to dilute its effect like politicians usually do. They replaced Black with minorities to include white women so now if a white man wants to get an Affirmative Action contract then their wife becomes the business owner over night. We were never repaired we were never addressed honestly people have historically accused us of whinning about our treatment but if we dont say it how else would you know? I suggest you study the institution of slavery and Jim Crow It effected my parents their parents and every generation before that whom were enslaved; It effects me my siblings my generation and generations to come. Some ask why are we disfunctional I say because we were made that way. P.S. This is my opinion and in no way represents the Black community as a whole.

User Detail :  

Name : Reggie30124, City : Columbus, State : OH Country : United States, 

Nicole
    Participant
    Our grandparents were the ones who suffered from the segregation and abuse so they know first hand that the 'white man' is not going to give any kind of reparation so they think that it is foolish to ask. That does not change the fact that they were robbed of their assets and forced to live in certain areas. I am only 20 years old and I can tell you about some discrimination that I have suffered. It was just 3 years ago that 2 white white men tied a black man to a truck and drove until his mangled body parts fell off and that a resturant in Florida only seviced white people. Discrimination is alive and well. Reparations will not change what happened but it will give us back what is rightfully ours. If I stole the only thing that you owned you would still miss it 50 years later and if your grandchildren are decent they would want justice for you.

User Detail :  

Name : Nicole, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 20, City : Tallahassee, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : College student, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Hasan
    Reparations isn't just about money. A white person can never know the damage that their ancestors done to my ancestors. You took away my name,language,religion and culture. When we arrived on these shores we were a different people. After your ancestors kidnap us they made a entirely new people. Today the result are we are a chocolate-covered white people. We practice your religion, have your names and practice your culture. It is painful that I don't know what country in Africa that I came from. I can't speak my mother tongue. I have to de-program my son everyday when he comes home from school. The first 300 years on these shores we couldn't read a book,practice our culture,speak our language. You have benefited from what your ancestors have done and I have suffered from what your forefathers have done. For more information check out the website AFRE(All For Repaprions and Emancipations). there is a legal fight going on to have blacks reclaim their human rights. We are the only people who identity keeps changing. We were slaves,free slaves,nigger,colored,negroe,black and african-american. I will go into more on this subject. Reparations isn't just money. I want my human rights and reclaim my identity.

User Detail :  

Name : Hasan, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, 

Glenda K.
    Why not reparations? The US Government paid the equivalent of reparations to Asians- and they weren't even enslaved! The effects of slavery/racism run deep and this generation of Blacks do still suffer from seeds of discrimination sewn ages ago. For instance, America's wealth of today was built on the backs of slaves. If not for slavery, there would be no Kennedy/Pulitzer/Rockefeller dynasty. Just as the wealth of those white families I just mentioned have passed down through the generations, reparations should be paid to the living descendants of slaves.

User Detail :  

Name : Glenda K., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 36, City : Cincinnati, State : OH Country : United States, Occupation : hr administrator, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kathleen
    The way to think about it is that reperations are deserved, period. Just because the slaves have all died out and so cannot get what they deserve, that doesn't mean the government doesn't have to pay and is let of the hook. The point isn't even so much what is given to us, but that there is an acknowledgement of what was done and a price paid for it. Just saying 'I'm sorry my father KILLED your father' isn't enough because it doesn't bring him back. Compensation doesn't bring him back either, but atleast its an action.

User Detail :  

Name : Kathleen, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Lesbian, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 21, City : New Orleans, State : LA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Joe30604
    Participant
    I think these are very good, thought provoking questions. First let me say I am a young black person. To address the reparations issue: It depends on what type of reparations individuals are refering to. Should the black race be given money becuase of the injustices suffered. I say no! What I say yes to is scholarships to attend colleges (four year, technical, etc), the same or similar stimulation in minority neiborhoods that is available in non-minority areas, etc. Simply put, equal opportunity. Why you ask. We have and still do suffer some discrimination. Grant it it is not to the extent it was experienced by the prior generations. However, I've seen KKK marches, cross burnings, etc. I was told (by white teachers) that my goal in life should be to become a janitor or garabage man becuase 'my people' do not have the mental capacity to hold though provoking jobs. Sorry, I digress. Why you ask. Well maybe this analogy will help. Slaves were beaten and murdered for attempting to learn to read, write and progress. We were brought here and denied tools to survive on our own. We fought and are still fighting for equality. Recall that the civil rights movement was active as recent as the 1960's (not that long ago). This has a trickle down effect. It takes time to catch up for years of injustices. For example, if you and I are running a 100 yard dash, who will win if you start at 90 yards and I start at 0 yards. We were denied certain opportunities. Grant it, these opportunities exist today. However, the same way it took effort to keep us in bondage (i.e. hiding textbooks, hindering learning, etc), it will take effort to now turn the situation around. Is giving money to all black people the key....NO. The key is reversing the wrong by providing the same opportunities. So I agree with you that 'cash' is not the answer, but we do still suffer the afflictions placed on the prior generations and the present generation.

User Detail :  

Name : Joe30604, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, 

Reggie30129
    Participant
    I did respond to your question in a constructive manner but I guess the board monitors would rather have your question unanswered. I wonder why?

User Detail :  

Name : Reggie30129, City : Columbus, State : OH Country : United States, 
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.