Why do whites ignore proven racial differences?

• This topic has 46 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Jeff.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author

Regan
    I think I actually understand what you're getting at here. You're wondering why whites can't be necessarily proud of what they do, but they have to worry about how all the other races feel first? Well I've wondered that too, why is it that there can be black student unions, and if a white student union was made the founder could probably be expelled from the university I attend. Many other races do get praised for their academic accomplishes as well as other significant accomplishes; however, I think white people are so afraid of being labeled a racist for praising the work of a white person or wanting to set up a college fund for underpriveledged white children that they don't speak up about their accomplishments. One thing is true, history is told by winners, not the ones who lost, so inevitably white people do seem to appear more 'intelligent' than other races. In my opinion, every race has their share of exceptionally smart, above average, average, not so smart people and idiots, the only difference is who we publicize for the world to see, and who has the capabilites and means to further their lives.

User Detail :  

Name : Regan, Gender : F, Age : 19, City : Norfolk, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Dan27368
    Participant
    First of all, IQ tests aren't known to be reliable in measuring intrinsic or natural intelligence. In Japan, there is a traditional 'caste' of people called the Burakumin, who are like India's 'Untouchables.' Though legal discrimination against them no longer takes place, they live in ghettos and their crime rates and other social problems are far and beyond those of other Japanese. Very little has been done to bring about equality for the Burakumin, despite lip service from the Japanese government. The average IQ of a Burakumin is 85, and the average IQ of a non-Burakumin Japanese is 102. The thing is, Burakumin are just as 'ethnically' Japanese as anyone else. They are physically no different. Now, within our own society, whites rank above African Americans. However, when you examine more closely, factors such as social isolation and poverty come into play. 'Race' is a superficial and often spurious explanation. Also, 100 years ago, American soldiers entering WWI tested as 'Morons' across the board. This was back in the days when most people dropped out of the 8th grade. 'Moron' was the technical term for an IQ of around Forrest Gump level. Also, immigrants from southern and eastern Europe were subjected to IQ testing; however, a guy who speaks nothing more than Yiddish who lived in Lower Valkynvania his entire life as a peasant isn't going to know what two guys on a tennis court are supposed to be doing. Ask him how to butcher a pig, on the other hand, and he could have described it in detail.

User Detail :  

Name : Dan27368, Gender : M, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 24, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Eddie
    Participant
    Why do you think the top 10 smartest people are all white? Is there any scientific data you can provide to back that up? Just because we live in a white dominated world and Europeans/white tends to receive the best education doesn't not mean other ethnic groups are inferior to white. If you are talking about the greatest discoveries in the last few centuries were made by white people, please note that Asian and other ethnic groups also made great discoveries of similar kinds 'earlier' than white in areas of math and astronomy. Somehow those facts are 'ignored' my main stream white educations. There is no way you can tell if one person is smarter than the next, there are just too many ways to measure things such as IQ.

User Detail :  

Name : Eddie, City : Austin, State : TX Country : United States, 

Gen G.
    Have you 'really' objectively analyzed the white race's contributions to society and the world, and contrasted this with the contributions of other races? Do not expect non-white races to believe the statistics and methodologies (such as IQ tests) of the very race which has exacted deliberate and systematic genocide against so many other civilizations throughout world history. The white race has gone all over the world and destroyed civilizations everywhere: in Africa (Ogoniland), in Mexico (the Aztecs), in Peru (the Incas), in Australia (the Aborigines), in India, in America (the Native Americans), and the practice continues today. Whites had no right to do what they did - and continue to do. The white race has murdered hundreds of millions of people, raped, pillaged, and stolen lands - all for the sake of greed and power. But the real reason behind their motives is hate, pure and simple. I have tried to figure out why it is that this race, of all God's races, has been such a destroyer of all it comes across (people, the environment, entire civilizations), and I now know it is hate. Where and when the hate originated though, is the real question, and why does it perpetuate within the white race so profoundly? I see that white people are in real denial about who they are and what they have done to the world. I am glad I was not born white. If you consider all the above 'accomplishments' to be indicative of a higher IQ, then I can only hope you do not represent the overall mentality of your race, otherwise I see no hope for the white race, or the world.

User Detail :  

Name : Gen G., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Mexican, Religion : Baptist, Age : 34, City : Sacramento, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Analyst, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

sc
    Participant
    i think most of the responses have made reasonable (enough for your post, anyway) responses to dispell your rather funny concerns. so i just want to respond emotionally: it horrifies me that you have over 4 years of college, and you are researching something.

User Detail :  

Name : sc, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian American, Religion : do not know, even about supposed 'agnosticism', Age : 20, City : chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : student, 

Tha-Real-Deal24729
    Participant
    I agree with Michael F. from Chicago. It's obvious that some people writing into this forum are not honestly trying to get answers about situations; instead, they are tactfully dissin' people who are different. I really question Von's education level because of his jilted views of people, although if he really did attend college for over 4 years, that doesn't mean that he learned anything. I really liked the idea of this forum when I first heard about it, but I've seen too many people abuse it and I question why their ideas are even getting posted. People like Von are not trying to seek answers... I mean, he thinks he knows all the answers and that is obvious by his remarks. Stuff like this should not be posted on Y? Forum.

User Detail :  

Name : Tha-Real-Deal24729, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 22, City : P-town, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Terp
    Participant
    'The only problem is that intelligence is not a genetic attribute, so whites do not own a monopoly on smarts. Keep in mind that whites invented race and indoctrinated the Western world in the genetic differences between whites in blacks in a racist manner, and that what many blacks brag about today was stated long ago by whites who bought and sold black slaves and enjoyed the intricacies of black sexuality.' I can't believe that someone actually wrote this. The first post to all of this, I have to say I very much agree with it. I just am very sad that our world has gotten so caught up in political correctness and making everyone 'equal' when it is quite obvious that everyone is not and never will be. Reread the first post and maybe open your eyes and ears a little to understand what they are asking and think for yourselves. I very much believe that intelligence has something to do with genetics and anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves. Whites did not invent race and whites are not the ones that always harp on the issue of race. It is everyone else who thinks that being proud for being black, asian, what have you is purely being proud of genetics. So if everyone else is allowed to be proud, why is it so taboo for whites (Europeans) to be proud of theirs?

User Detail :  

Name : Terp, City : Charleston, State : SC Country : United States, 

Lekeisha
    I am somewhat offended at some of the statements that you made with your question. I beleive that blacks are not on average less intelligent than whites. The fact of the matter is, the ratio between intelligent and 'stupid' whites, are probably the same as the ratio between intelligent and 'stupid' minorities. Opportunity is what limits all people of various backgounds from gaining knowledge. Secondly, IQ tests, as well as many other studies, be it health, psychological, or whatever, involve middle class college students at prominent universities, and everybody knows that these students are statistically more likely to be white. It is unfair to say that one race is less intelligent than another if they do not share the same advantages or disadvantages.

User Detail :  

Name : Lekeisha, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 22, City : Pensacola, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : College Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Jeff
    Participant
    I'm a little bit disappointed by the responses to his (serious and well-intentioned) question. I guess it kind of illustrates his point. To be honest, I don't think white people really DO ignore racial differences. I don't have statistics, I just have my own personal experiences. But white people make a lot of 'racist' comments in all-white company, no matter where they are from. I use quotation marks because they tend to be good-natured and, on average, accurate. A lot of white people think the perfect basketball team consists of four black guys and one white guy, and there are tons of reasons for that (and tons of highly successful 4-and-1 teams). No white person would EVER make that comment in mixed company (or on tape), however, because any racial analysis carries a strong chance of being labeled racist. There appears to be a growing body of resentment toward blacks, specifically. My family would be completely accepting of an Asian, Native American, or Arab spouse, but a black girlfriend would cause major tension. The recent debate over slave reparations, for example, strengthened the belief of many whites that black people DON'T seek racial equality, but rather, everything they can get. There is very little true racism left in white America... a lot of us give blacks the benefit of the doubt on most things, hoping that they'll be intelligent, charismatic, and well-articulated. You know... like Colin Powell. Blacks get preferential treatment in college admissions, job applications, federal contracts, and tons of other things, are disproportionately represented on TV (especially on the evening news), and suffer virtually no institutional racism. This is all fine with white people, or would be, if that were the end of it. But a lot of 'Black Leaders' perpetuate this idea that the problems facing blacks are the result of them being black, not poor. White people, for the most part, genuinely want blacks to ascend to a level equal to us, but we want them to deserve it. Any black person with drive and determination can go to college, we figure, and, as long as they don't major in African-American Studies, can use affirmative action to escape the cycle of poverty. But most don't, and a lot of white people are tired of being told they should feel guilty. (To be continued)

User Detail :  

Name : Jeff, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Southern Baptist, Age : 18, City : Surf City, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Michael20665
    Participant
    Von, when you say sub-Saharan Africans, would that include those whom might have come from, say, Helsinki or Tokyo in the past 100 years? Would it include those whom might have come from Egypt or Iberia in the past 12,000 years? If not, then perhaps you could do this site a great service by providing the most recent delineation of races and racial characteristics as identified by human geneticists.

User Detail :  

Name : Michael20665, Gender : M, Race : Ostrogothic-American, Age : 58, City : Portland, State : OR Country : United States, Occupation : Technical, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jan-C
    Participant
    Perhaps your interpretations are rather not as unbiased as you'd like to beleive and are based on your sociological background. What persons learn from ther role models(family, mentors, community,school,clubs)as well as their emotional state(anger,fear,hate,envy) may affect their perception of life. I can see where it would be difficult for you to step back from all you have been taught as fact and view them in a broader light.Text books as well as media (more so in the past than present) tend to highlight the achivements of white race to the exclusion of other bright stars in history because of racial&/or national Bias(not Pride.there is a difference)and consequently many young white persons end up thinking 'well i guess we're the only smart ones..and all the smart guys who ever lived were white.' I hope new information will have you take a second look

User Detail :  

Name : Jan-C, Gender : F, Age : 21, City : Ca, State : NA Country : Ireland, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Gilman
    Participant
    Your question starts by comparing IQ scores from different geographic regions and then without explanation switches over to racial categories. That's something careful studies do not do. Why? The primary reason is that it confuses (confounds) social evolution with genetic evolution. Aren't IQ tests as we know them a product of the modern industrial age, i.e., social evolution, which came long after the genetic evolution of humans had turned to less than a snail's pace? Wouldn't one expect residents of modern industrial/technological societies to score much higher on a paper-and-pencil test created by intellectuals for those kinds of societies than residents of semi-industrial or pre-industrial societies would score? A careful study would also have to define what it means by intelligence. As much as we would probably all like to have high IQ scores, isn't it fair to say what we describe as intelligence in everyday vernacular is a combination of aptitudes that isn't necessarily defined by the IQ test? Or, to put it another way, aren't there a whole lot of highly intelligent members of pre/semi-industrial societies -- or even more rural, lesser industrialized parts of the industrial societies? I would answer, 'Definitely yes,' based on my experiences in Appalachia and in doing public health work in parts of rural India that aren't found in guide books. A careful study that invoked the category of race would also define it and how it is to be measured (good luck!), but I'll leave that aside for now. Finally, I have to ask if your seemingly automatic switch from geography to race and social evolution to genetics aren't themselves manifestations of racial bias?

User Detail :  

Name : Gilman, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 50s, City : Saint Paul, State : MN Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Archon
    Participant
    The reason why whites do not boast of their superior achievement is because it is tactless and crass to do so. It would be like a model going to a Weight Watchers meeting and brag how thin she is. There is some truth to what your saying but I have to wonder why you have to say it. Insecure in some way? Besides, it is inapropriate to claim other's accomplishments as your own just because you share the same ethnic background. Newton may have been the most brilliant mathematician ever, but I have seen scores of blacks and Asians get better marks than me in math courses. Just because I share his ethnic background doesn't make me a genius.

User Detail :  

Name : Archon, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jedi, Age : 36, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Melissa
    Participant
    The reason is Media guilt... the media brainwashes whites to think we still owe them somthing and then blacks notice that and are loud, rally, and march about it or whatever. thats my theroy about that. thanks. Loved your message.

User Detail :  

Name : Melissa, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Deaf, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 21, City : Antioch, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Matt
    Participant
    One important thing to remember is that measurements do not come with pre-attached explanations. There are often quite a few theories it is possible to devise to explain a particular measurement. In the case of the measured difference in IQ between black and white people in America (BTW, the average difference is 15 points, not 25, or at least was in 1994), there is no shortage of ways people can fit this measurement into their own theories about races. Someone who believes in racial superiority can easily claim this is because of genetics. People more concerned about social inequality can take these results and argue that the difference is due to unequal schools, poverty, or any number of other purely social factors. Others can argue that IQ tests are culturally biased towards white people. And if you just had those measurements to go on, they can fit easily into any of those theories. I tend to favor the 'blame social inequality' theory, as I've done some tutoring at mostly black inner city public schools before. The school where I tutored really didn't seem like a good place to develop intelligence to its full potential. The bottom line is, measurements can be interpreted in many ways. About the only way I could see of settling the genes vs environment controversy conclusively would be to have a group adopt a large number of children from a wide variety of races at birth, and raise them all in a carefully controlled environment where the idea of people being divided into distinct races is kept out. That would be pretty difficult to pull off, to say the least.

User Detail :  

Name : Matt, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 25, City : Oxford, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.