Whites playing “Affirmative Action” card

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Amanda
    Participant
    It does exist. My dad lost a job to a less qualified black woman because the hospital he applied to had a quota to meet and she was a black woman and he was a white male.

User Detail :  

Name : Amanda, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Baptist, Age : 28, City : Charleston, State : SC Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Clint
    Participant
    I think it is proabably whiplash from being constantly bombarded with the race card.You see People shouting racisim in everything from politics to sports to who was in line first at wal-mart.the truth is 99% of whites dont give a penny for what color you are or where you were born.What they do care about is constantly feeling that they being called racist for something that happened before they were born.It might not be intended to make them feel this way but thats what it does.In Atlanta there is a total double standard.Black politicians have run the city government into the ground but god forbid you say that or your a white racist pig.So i think people use the Affirmitive Action thing to counteract that feeling of being on the defensive.

User Detail :  

Name : Clint, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 31, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Deb
    Participant
    Most whites are blissfully unaware of white privilege. They don't understand that for every opportunity a non-white might get, they get ten. They think their hard work is being ignored, but don't realize they get 'rewarded' every day for simply being white. They don't understand that racism is systemic, and is hidden within our institutions, like education, where we can't clearly see it and so can't eliminate it. But some of us do understand. Some of us have learned. And we are doing the best we can to spread the word to other whites about whiteness and privilege so we can help it end.

User Detail :  

Name : Deb, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Unitarian, Age : 45, City : Grand Junction, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Daniel
    Participant
    The reasons young white males get defensive about affirmative action and blacks playing the race card is the responce above from a teacher from arizona 'American history, everything from lynchings to the slave trade to massacres of Natives to theft of land from both Natives and Mexicans to internment of Japanese Americans'. Since the begining of time the strong has imposed there will on the weak. Ghengis Kong (not Caucasion) massacared most of Europe IE. CAUCASIONS. The Indians massacred many innocent white families. And if you look in history every ethnicity has been slaves and in Africa slavery is still more prominent there than any place in the world. The issue is equality should a woman, black man, or a homosexual have and(the key word is ANY) preferantial treatment. And if the answer is yes then where are does that stop taxes, promotions, or lines at the mall. When you really think about the buisnesses that are private have a right to hire who they see fit for any reasons they see fit. The buisness is there property if I prefer to have my car washed only by caucasions then that is my right and thats part of freedom.

User Detail :  

Name : Daniel, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), City : Co Springs, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Mechanic, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jason31249
    Participant
    Being a white male in the southern US, I can say that its not always true. When I was in my late teens, early 20's, I was a victim of racism many times by blacks and hispanics. At one job, we had a store manager who was black, and was always a complete b*tch to me, so one day I asked one of the cashiers why it was that the manager disliked me so much, and she said it was because I was white and a male. Thats when I noticed the other white guys there, all 3 of us, were all treated the same way by her. As were the white females to a lesser extent. Maybe it was just the manager, but she was truly an unpleasant person to work with because of her racism/sexism. When I lived in southern California and Utah, I was discriminated against many times by hispanics, who, for some reason, called ME racist, untill one of my hispanic friends chewed them out in spanish. So, yeah, it DOES happen, quite frequently too. Luckily though I live in the south which is stereotypicaly 'white supremesist', since there are so many of all races here, most employers of any color wont stand for any kind of racism. I also tended to notice that in the south western US, where there was a large hispanic community, even predominately hispanic in some towns. For some reason, it tends to be less of a problem there. As to affirmative action, I think its a good idea, but racial quotas however is not. I would rather have a fireman of any color who passed all the tests with flying colors than one who was merely adequate and happened to be the right color at the right time.

User Detail :  

Name : Jason31249, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 25, City : Panama City, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Jared31200
    Participant
    Many people look at whites who complain about Affirmative Action (AA) being reverse discrimination as being closet racists. While I understand those views, as someone who has studied AA in college that simply is not true. I truly believe that there is no difference between myself and a minority (yes I am a white male) be that a minority sex or race. If somone is the more qualified applicant they should get the job be they white, black, yellow, red, with a penis, or without a penis. The quota system is bullshit! Whether it requires a certain number of ehtnic minorities or sexual minorities. Why should it matter if my parents/grandparents were prejudiced against you/your parents/your grandparents? I know in the past some ignorant people were racist and that it created a bigoted and unfair society and I am truly sorry about that. But how is creating a new society based on bigoted and unfair practices (AA) going to right the wrongs of the past? How is a 'United Negroes College Fund' going to help us as a society when a 'United White Man's College Fund' would be branded as racist and unfair? How is the NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People) okay, but if i started a new NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Caucasion People) it would be branded as racist? What are we teaching are children if we tell them that as a minority (be it ethnic or sexual) they need special stipulations to succeed? Doesn't our current situation tell our children that if they are an ethnic minority or a woman that in order to succeed they need special circumstances? That is (pardon my vulgarity) BULLSHIT!!!

User Detail :  

Name : Jared31200, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 24, City : Decatur, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Andrea
    Participant
    While I don't agree with the 'negrophobia' assertion, you do hold some valid points. But I guess my question is, why DON'T you ever talk about the whites who were put into slavery? As for as racism goes, I hold little compassion for any racial group b/c at some point in time every race has been the subject of racism. That is a lie b/c I do feel sorry for the Jews who were slaughtered by the thousands by Germans.

User Detail :  

Name : Andrea, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 24, City : Houma, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : Accounting, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jess30768
    Participant
    I for one feel that Affirmative Action is unfair, but not because I might be passed up for a job because I am white. I feel that if administrators want to be truly unbiased, they should not consider race in any way. I feel that it is rather stupid for both whites and minorities to play the race card all the time, but sometimes it is legitimate.

User Detail :  

Name : Jess30768, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 14, City : Lubbock, State : TX Country : United States, Social class : Upper class, 

Mike
    Participant
    Do you have the facts to back up these statements: -Affirmative Action has helped white women more than any other group -'reverse racism' or 'losing jobs to less-qualified minorities' exists far more in their imagination than in reality. Still waiting for the benfits of my white privelege to kick in. Do I get a membership card or something?

User Detail :  

Name : Mike, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 35, City : denton, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Bill19734
    Participant
    It's top of mind with me because I have seen so many instances of people in management whinning because 'we need to hire a black person'. Qualifications have never mattered. Diversity is the new code word for quota. I have seen instances of qualified black people on the job but very few. Here's a tip; learn to speak proper English. By doing so you are not selling out, you are vastly improving your chances of being taken seriously.

User Detail :  

Name : Bill19734, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Paralyzed, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 58, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : disability counselor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

ShirleyAvery
    Participant
    I guess Obama just got lucky. Also Condoleeza Rice, Colin Powell and Clarence Thomas. I guess their education and hard work has nothing to do with their success. Just Curious

User Detail :  

Name : ShirleyAvery, Gender : F, Disability : none, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 52, City : st. louis, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.