White people “above the rules”

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Julie27044
    Participant
    You are sadly mistaken if you think anyone would voluntarily give up his or her privileged status...

User Detail :  

Name : Julie27044, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 33, City : Woodbridge, State : VA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Kathy
    Hey, I'm curious about this too.:)

User Detail :  

Name : Kathy, Gender : F, Race : Asian, Age : 22, City : San Jose, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Artist, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

G-Neil21731
    Participant
    It has nothing to do with being in the numerical majority or minority, it has to do with being in power. This has been a white country since it's inception (before, really), there are numerous political, social, economic and cultural institutions that have been set in place over centuries to solidify and ensure that power. Just because there are now some more non-whites coming in, because they've given up the most overt forms of oppression does not mean that there will be any release of their grip on power. Look at the last presidential election. Look at this administration's assault on the freedom of information act and all the outpouring of love for Reagan.

User Detail :  

Name : G-Neil21731, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 26, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : attorney, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Jamie
    Actually, not all white people do. Why is it that you feel that you can sterotype all white people without you yourself being considered a racist? That in itself can be considered 'living above the rules.'

User Detail :  

Name : Jamie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 28, City : Milwaukee, State : WI Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Holly
    You must not watch T.V. It seems that anybody with a fat bank account thinks they're above the law. Kobe Bryant, Michael Jackson, Mike Tyson, do they ring a bell? Ever hear of O.J. Simpson? He got away w/ murder because he could afford to buy his way out. And what about Condoleeza Rice? She lies through her teeth and gets away with it. Evidently, all of these people of color think that they are also above the rules...and I doubt that it's because they want to be white.

User Detail :  

Name : Holly, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 43, City : Fort Lauderdale, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Doug25661
    Participant
    Odd. Everywhere I go it seems that white is simply not getting any special treatment from college admissions to scholarships to contract bids to job offers, it's all about being a minority. Do you have some examples?

User Detail :  

Name : Doug25661, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 24, City : Columbia, State : SC Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Kevin26497
    Participant
    The fact is whites are the majority, but that means nothing in the big picture. Whites, as a rule, view blacks as thinking they are above the law. When blacks get caught doing things such as blatantly selling drugs on the street, they cry that the system is racist. Blacks are victims of crimes as well. Don't those victims deserve justice?

User Detail :  

Name : Kevin26497, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Dave
    Participant
    I guess I'd like to have examples. I understand the white priveledge line of thought. Some people push a perceived advantage because they are tall or muscular or well educated or white. Just a thought but I'd need more info to understand better.

User Detail :  

Name : Dave, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Age : 38, City : KY, State : KY Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Marie
    Participant
    I am a White female and I've always believed that rules are rules no matter who you are. No one I know feels any differently. However, there is a tendency among snobbish rich people - invariably Whites, other races, for the most part don't do this that I've seen - to expect everyone to drop what they are doing to kiss their @$$es. My husband and I own our own business and so very often, we've had wealthy people come into our shop and expect, in a few cases DEMAND, that they absolutely must be tended to immediately. My husband has a stock answer. 'Yes, Ma'am/Sir, we will get to your problem immediately... after we help the people who were here before you.' After the sputtering and blustering and the 'Do you know who I am?', my husband very coolly offers the snob the choice of waiting their turn or 'Get the hell out of my shop and don't come back.' So I'll agree with you to an extent. SOME whites need to step down off of their imaginary pedestals and get real. Perhaps a kindergarten refresher course on kindness, sharing and taking turns is in order, ne?

User Detail :  

Name : Marie, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 36, City : Jeffersonville, State : IN Country : United States, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Croz
    Participant
    Because white people make the rules, we therefore are above them.

User Detail :  

Name : Croz, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 18, City : Ktown, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : Doctor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

SK28824
    Participant
    Actually, most whites are very concerned about offending other races. Most people like this I have met try to stay out of trouble. Most whites I know feel badly about the treatment of other races. I know I may get alot of back lash for saying this, but minorites tend to get fussy when a white person says something that is (sometimes) misinterpreted. Not all whites feel above others. Most are genuinely concerned about teh advancement of others. I personally think it is a waste of time to bother with who is better. To me, so many racial issues are based on ingnorance and not on hatred or feelings of superiority. I know that you can't change everyone's mind, but you can help ptehrs realize that you are more similar than different

User Detail :  

Name : SK28824, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 18, City : Nashville, State : TN Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.