White people “above the rules”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

V-Marsh
    Participant
    Why do whites still feel they are the majority and that they should live above the rules and laws that govern everyone else? They need to relax those privileged attitudes and join the world.

User Detail :  

Name : V-Marsh, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, 

Alicia31394
    Participant
    Whites still are the racial majority in this country and as a Black woman who went to predominately white schools, lived around whites up until a year or more ago and still works mostly around whites, I have honestly never seen any white person act 'above the law' and as if everyday laws and rules don't apply to them. If you are saying that many act priveledged than that's a totally different story. I believe they act that way because this country was founded by Europeans and is based on Western European ideals. I don't know what race you are, but you sound a bit jealous or resentful in your post..maybe it's you that needs to 'relax' and join the world huh?

User Detail :  

Name : Alicia31394, Gender : F, Race : Afro-Caribbean, Age : 25, City : Bronx, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

TJ
    Participant
    It's hard to respond to such a vague question. Can you give specific examples? I will try to answer (or give you rebuttles) if you can give me some specifics.

User Detail :  

Name : TJ, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 33, City : Kowloon, State : NA Country : Hong Kong, Occupation : Merchandiser, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    Because we're better than you.

User Detail :  

Name : Hans Wilhelm, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : blind in left eye from bullet wound, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 79, City : Buenos Aires, State : NA Country : Argentina, Occupation : retired, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Juno
    Participant
    I take it you're not white? In any case, in the United States and the vast majority of the 'Western' world, white people are the majority. They are in control of the dominant power structures. While white people are subject to the same laws that govern everyone else, sometimes it seems to minorities that they are above them because minorities seem to get the shit end of many similar deals. It should be understood that it's generally not the racial group that has the problem, but the society that they live in.

User Detail :  

Name : Juno, Gender : M, Race : Asian, Religion : Orthodox Christian, Age : 21, City : Richmond, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Keith
    I'm guessing (from your address) that you're talking about U.S. white people. There are two parts to your question: 1) We _are_ in the majority, and most of the culture that surrounds us comes from 'white' history. There have been many attempts to correct this (e.g. Black History month, changes in how history is taught in public schools, etc.), but they're only beginning to be effective. There's a great deal of world culture I just wasn't exposed to until I went out and made a serious effort (read the Q'uran, visited the Edo museum in Tokyo, etc.). If I stayed ignorant of other cultures, it would be easy to think that we're responsible for all the important discoveries the human race has made so far. 2) Why do we think that we're above the rules that govern everyone else? This is a problem for the U.S. as a whole (for example . . . well, if you can't think of any examples, you need to start following the news). I don't have the answer for that one, unless you want the smart-ass one about how white people obey plenty of rules . . . at least, the unfair ones written by whites and voted in by the white majority. Not helpful. Can you give some more specific examples? Speaking of rules - I violated the 150 word rule, but I did so with good intentions, trying to give a thoughtful answer.

User Detail :  

Name : Keith, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 34, City : Ypsilanti, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : Statistician, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

lynette22487
    Participant
    All white people do not feel that they are above the rules, though I understand that the history of racial discrimination in the Southern and Eastern United States may still foster feelings among some whites, that they are above the rules. I think a better generalization could be made: that is that 'people who behave as if they are above the rules are ignorant, stupid, spoiled, often wealthy, and suffer from hidden feelings of inferiority. Try not to make the same mistakes in your generalizations as racist whites have done in assigning an attitude to a person based on the colour of their skin. Racial prejudice has a bad habit of working on every side of the colour line.

User Detail :  

Name : lynette22487, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 47, City : british columbia, State : NA Country : Canada, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

D-Binger
    Participant
    Well, speaking as a white (An Irish-American, really, but although three generations ago I couldn't have walked into a lot of restaurants because of that, it's no longer an issue), I don't. I think you may be asking 'Why do assholes believe this,' more than white people. I've seen people of all races with that attitude. And I've had black fellow students tell me that I owe them because of slavery. Which is the same sort of ridiculous attitude, given that the first generation on my family to reach the US arrived in New York just prior to the Civil War and proceeded to serve in the Union Army, and thus had only two connections to slavery: Helping to end it, and looking a bit like the folks responsible for it. I think that is, by and large, an attitude problem more than a racial one.

User Detail :  

Name : D-Binger, City : Olympia, State : WA Country : United States, 

Kathy26675
    Participant
    Hi: Well, in the United States whites (numerically) are still the majority race and it is their culture we all subscribe to. All my life they (American whites) usually act superior to anyone who isn't of their race. I've seen it over and over. They usually can get away with bad behavior in public and it is seen as 'cute' or 'just what young people do'. Not so with minorities. I think as minorities attain middle class level and true diversity spreads this won't be the case. Example: When I growing up I was told not to be loud especially around white people - well when I get to work each day the first thing I hear when I open the door is a female white co-worker's loud laughter and voice. I almost know if that were me something would be said.

User Detail :  

Name : Kathy26675, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, City : Nashville, State : TN Country : United States, 

Victoria24555
    Participant
    Whites don't feel as if there above the rules and laws that govern everyone else. However, it may be easier for us to 'work' the legal system because statistically we are better educated, have more money and have more professional contacts than other minorities.

User Detail :  

Name : Victoria24555, City : Rockville, State : MD Country : United States, 

Victoria
    White people DO NOT feel they are above the laws that govern all people. In many instances however, they are better at 'working' the legal system, whether that be finding and affording good legal counsel or their ability to develop personal contacts within the legal system; ie judges, police officers, attorneys.

User Detail :  

Name : Victoria, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 40, City : Rockville, State : MD Country : United States, Occupation : LOAN OFFICER, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ashlee
    Participant
    Please be more specific, and give us an argument rather than an epithet. As a white American, I've been punished for breaking some laws, and rewarded for respecting others, just like people of every race and ethnicity in the United States. With respect to the law, it's difficult for anyone to join the world, because as you probably know, the rules and laws that govern everybody else are vastly different among different countries. Please resist making your prejudices into a 'majority thing' by trivializing the experiences of minorities such as white farmers in Zimbabwe, Falun Gong practitioners in China, and other seriously oppressed citizens of the world.

User Detail :  

Name : Ashlee, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Western European American, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 33, City : Lakeland, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

april
    Participant
    I do not think that white people think that they are above the rules. I do however feel that the majority of people who are wealthy do. I think that is a misconception and a generalization.

User Detail :  

Name : april, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 28, City : fowlerville, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : nurse, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Monica
    Participant
    White people act as though they are above the rules? If that is so then why do African Americans have the freedom to create BEt (black entertainment television)? Do you think white people could have WET? Or how about White History Month? Please give an example of what laws we feel we are above? Sorry I just don't understand!

User Detail :  

Name : Monica, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 25, City : Fort Worth, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Homemaker, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Middle class, 

Terry C.
    Participant
    No one I know feels they are above the rules and laws that govern everyone else. In fact, sometimes we are made examples of because we are white and courts, police, businesses, etc. want to make sure it is known that they don't discriminate. I know a couple of friends who have been better qualified for a promotion but were passed over because a woman or someone from another race applied for the job and the company promoted them instead. Maybe you just know some really arrogant whites - but please don't stereotype us all into one large group.

User Detail :  

Name : Terry C., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 35, City : Frisco, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : writer, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.