What can whites do to help?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Bonnie F.
    What are some things African Americans think white people could be doing to improve racial equality in the United States?

User Detail :  

Name : Bonnie F., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Protestant, City : South Florida, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    Your question is so very much appreciated. It's one I seldom hear. The answer is very simple: Recognize that African-American people are just that - people, too. Just as we are seldom inclined to lump all Caucasians into one group - sharing all tastes, interests, strengths, weaknesses and personal attributes - we should try to be aware whenever we are doing just that when referring to African Americans. We all come into this world as individuals; though we might share a similar skin shade or similar history, each of us have different perspectives on life, different values, interests, social and financial statuses and ambitions.

When you come into contact with an African American, try to make your mind a 'tabla rasa' - a blank slate. Forget whatever stereotypes you've learned and explore the individual standing in front of you. Find out what he or she likes and dislikes, and what his or her history and perspectives are. If they appear different from yours, find out why the person sees things differently from you.

Only if we begin to learn authentically about one another can we begin to minimize the destructiveness we all experience in our society as a result of stereotypes.

User Detail :  

Name : Susan Pizarro-Eckert, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Multiracial--SHOCKED that's not an option here!, Religion : Unitarian, Age : 33, City : Brightwaters, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Personal/Business Coach, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Marc-M
    Participant
    I'd say all things begin with education. I'd first begin with re-learning history to include viewpoints from multiple races and ethnicities. The way many Americans are educated now excludes different experiences and views. This blinds people from seeing the way racism along with other forms of discrimination has been deeply institutionalized in our society. Learning this will help you see and get a better understanding of racism.

Second, I would say re-evaluate your current situation. Are things truly equal around you? Talk to people and try to understand how other people see things.

Third, do the best you can to spread what you learn to others.

Finally, for today, don't be afraid to talk about racism. It's not Fight Club, it's OK to talk about it.

User Detail :  

Name : Marc-M, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 24, City : State College, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Chelsea32302
    Participant
    White people just need to generally have an open mind and see people for who they are. I have noticed that the more enlightened the white person is, the easier it is for them to acquaint themselves with people from other ethnic groups, because they are more emancipated, broad-minded and intellectual.

User Detail :  

Name : Chelsea32302, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 29, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

Candy
    Participant
    Thank you for asking this question. On a personal level, you could start by making friends. Have you ever had dinner at a black person's home? Or any other races? When we make friends with people who are different then us, then we begin to see how we are alike. I'm not saying purposely try to befriend someone because they are a different race, but really make yourself opening to meeting and mingling with people of different races. Get to know a black co-worker, try worshiping at a multicultural church, join a club, etc. Something that exposes you to others. If you have kids, encourage them in activites that open their eyes to different people and cultures in the world.

User Detail :  

Name : Candy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 24, City : Los Angeles, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Wisdom43
    Good question. First, uderstand first like you, each of us are individuals. I hate to be stereotyped. Nothing but nothing bothers me more. Some people might say that this example I'm about to provide is over simplified....but its actually case and point. Did you ever see the movie Richie Rich (with the home alone kid). In it there is one black adult. Just one in the entire movie....and he suppose to be the bad guy, he does look very intimidating...but really now....was it ncessary....why have us in that lilly white movie at all if that was the best they could do. Just remember never judge a book by its cover......embrace our differences and except the fact that we'll see somethings differently....keep asking questions like the one you posed here.....and things will continue to get better. Of that I have little doubt. Bonnie when you and other people like, consider changing asindividuals, those positive differences will be reflected in the masses.

User Detail :  

Name : Wisdom43, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 44, City : Omaha, State : NE Country : United States, Occupation : Systems Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Kiea
    First, whites can start by treating us as if we're equals. Hear our concerns and see them as more than racial issues. Know that they are human issues. Try and understand that the things we want are the same things you want. Nothing extravagant - just to be treated with respect and dignity.

User Detail :  

Name : Kiea, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 25, City : Montgomery, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : secretary, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Michele-Holly
    Participant
    A big step would be to take responsibility (not just pay lip service) for the way blacks have been treated in this country. One of the biggest insults to black citizens is: 'My family didn't own slaves; it wasn't me.' Like Larry King (I know, but he makes a good point) said: 'If you can't take responsibility for the way this country treated blacks, then how can you take credit for the achievements of the forefathers - that wasn't you either.' Even though slavery is one of the tools that made this country an industrial powerhouse (how would you like to own a business and not have to pay your employees' salaries?), it's just part of the issue. Legalized segregation was tolerated by all. Many benefited from blacks being kept out of the workforce (less competition for jobs) and educational institutions. Stop saying it wasn't you. That's a start.

User Detail :  

Name : Michele-Holly, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 36, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
    BONNIE, UNLIKE ALL THE RESPONSES THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED I FEEL THAT IT IS NOT JUST UP TO THE WHITE AMERICAN; WE ALL HAVE TO COME TOGETHER. THESE RESPONSES ARE FROM BLACK AMERICANS AND ONE MULTIRACIAL PERSON. I AM NEITHER. IF AFRICAN AMERICANS THINK THAT IT IS ONLY THE WHITE AMERICAN THAT NEEDS TO IMPROVE RACIAL EQUALITY, THEN THEY AS WHOLE DON'T CONSIDER THEMSELVES TO BE EQUAL WITH OTHERS. SO WHO IS MORE RACIST THOSE WHO HAVE RESPONDED OR YOU AND I BONNIE.

User Detail :  

Name : DONT-WORRY-ABOUT-IT25592, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : WEST INDIAN, Religion : Catholic, Age : 22, City : MIDLOTHIAN, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : STUDENT, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Terance
    Participant
    I must say thankyou for your sincere concern. I cant speak for all black people, but mainly I believe that just as anyone else, we would like to be judged on our own individual merit. I have grown very tired of first having to break down or work through many steryotypes before being taken seriously in school, in my career, and even athletics. Please encourage others not to 'judge a book by its cover.' You may be plesantly suprised by what you will find inside.

User Detail :  

Name : Terance, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 32, City : Indianapolis, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : Police Officer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Chuck D
    I think whites can be real , what i mean by that is you find whites that say im not racist but if their daughter married a black man they would go ballistic, but they feel as long as its a relationship that exists at school or work its fine,thats phony in their heart they are still a racist but there in denial. They have to truly be open to other races and cultures.and understand that god didnt put just one race on this earth and that to not embrace your brother is a sin against god and a promotion of hate.

User Detail :  

Name : Chuck D, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 32, City : Baltimore, State : MD Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, 
    1.That we're here to stay. We're not going 'back to Africa' (what a stupid thing to say to people who've weren't born on that continent) 2.That we don't have to like each other. I'm not hankering for White friends, as I'm sure you're not hankering for Black friends. Just respect me as a human being. I can't speak for other African Americans, but I just want to be left alone. Leave me alone to pursue my goals and dreams.

User Detail :  

Name : RhondaOutlaw, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 41, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Account Representative, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.