The typical black person

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Nydia
    Participant
    To whites: What is the typical black person to you? What do they look like and how do they act? How do you view the black race as a whole?

User Detail :  

Name : Nydia, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 16, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Mike S.
    Participant
    I'm enlisted in the active army in the 82nd Airborne Division here on Ft. Bragg. I work and deal with many different races every day. I think if I identify my own view of the black race as a whole it would be...
    In general they are more concerned with style and fashion than some other races. They are often proud of their upbringing and heritage. One thing I've noticed is that sometimes, even my closest black friends seem to have a tinge of distrust toward me. For instance, there's one person I work with and get along great with. We laugh, joke, we've pulled guard duties together for hours on end, we've drank together, he tells me his problems in his marriage, we are generally good, close friends. I'd trust him to help me in any way and I'd let him babysit my kids. But I can't help feeling that if I ever done him wrong, stole from him or mistreated him somehow, I'd get some flak about how I'm just like all the other whites. There's a deep-seated, usually forgotten resentment of my race. I don't hold it against anyone. Hell, I guess blacks have the right to be resentful, after all. I think I have a pretty healthy view of all people, though. Blacks are no worse or better than whites, Asians, Indian, etc. I know plenty of whites I wouldn't trust with my spoon. Then again, there are some I'd trust with my life.

User Detail :  

Name : Mike S., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 29, City : Ft. Bragg, State : NC Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : military, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Wendy D.
    I feel like there is more energy and vibrancy among blacks than is typical among whites, but then again, I wouldn't offer any blanket statement there, just something I feel now and then.

User Detail :  

Name : Wendy D., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : agnostic with spiritual practices like Reiki, Age : 28, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Web Developer, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Leah26126
    Participant
    I can only answer from my experience with blacks in my area. They are loud, obnoxious, pushy and generally defensive about anything. I get along with some black people on a one-on-one basis, and I feel most blacks are OK once you get to know them and they are away from their friends, etc.

User Detail :  

Name : Leah26126, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pentecostal, Age : 39, City : Bartow, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : secretary, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
    I live in New York, and the rudest people here are White women. Recently, twice in one week, I had confrontations with two rude women. One stepped on my foot on the subway three times without apologizing, until I threatened to kick the crap out of her; then she apologized and stopped. The other woman didn't want to wait her turn boarding an esculator so she kept trying to nudge me to the side so she could get on. When I threatened kick her butt, she backed off. And last year I had to threaten to yank a White woman's hair out by the roots, because she insisted on swinging it in my face. White women's attitude is that they don't have to extend the most basic courtesies to other ethnic groups. I find that unacceptable.

User Detail :  

Name : RhondaOutlaw, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 41, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Occupation : Account Representative, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Liam
    I don't believe there is a such person as a typical black person all people are unique. We all belong to the human race, and I don't believe you can sort people into different races. You can put them into different ethnic groups, but that doesn't make them different. I feel all people are the same. We raise our families, go to work or school and try to live by the golden rule. There are exceptions to this, but not based on the color of ones skin.

User Detail :  

Name : Liam, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 47, City : Wilkes Barre, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Letty
    Personally, I don't think there is such a thing as a 'typical' black person. Everybody is different and individual, whatever race or color they are. I know some black people think whites are evil or that we think we're superior to them just because we're white, and I wouldn't want to meet anyone like that. All the black people I have met so far (including my penfriend in Canada who I write to but haven't met) have been very nice people and didn't conform to any traditionally perceived stereotype.

User Detail :  

Name : Letty, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 16, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Jamie
    I'm not aware of any differences in black people to my race (white people). I think black people are better dancers; that's the only difference I know about.

User Detail :  

Name : Jamie, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 26, City : Torbay, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : designer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

tom24141
    Participant
    My view of the typical black: uneducated, likes rap music, wears clothes that are too big, likes to dress like a gangster, is inarticulate, has a poor sense of family values, is disrepesctful towards women, is sexually promiscuous, blames racism for his sorry state of affairs and has a poor work ethic.

User Detail :  

Name : tom24141, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Jewish, Age : 34, City : newark, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : sales, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

D-Poet31802
    Participant
    There is no such thing as a typical anything. To ask your question is to say that all White people feel the same about something, which is completely untrue. There is no typical anything. What's the typical flower? Many flowers have no varying colors, scent, petals and even have different structures on how they look to one another. Everyone is individual and everyone is unique. We have to stop categorizing everyone into different groups. There is only ONE race. Human. To comment on other's comments, to answer this question is to be stereotypical. There is no energy or vibrancy among Black people, only the Black people you know. And anyone can be obnoxious, how does the color of your skin determine how your personality is? Don't confuse a skin color with personality cause that is stereotyping. Your skin color cannot determine anything except how easily you get sunburn, plain and simple. There is nothing else to it. Please understand we are all Race. And i love my race to death. D. Poet

User Detail :  

Name : D-Poet31802, Age : 16, City : Anywhere, State : NA Country : Everywhere, 

Kathy
    Don't we all stereotype? One has his idea of the 'typical' white person but accuses whites of having preconceived ideas about black people. I'll answer your question.The typical black person islower-middle class, is related to or knows a black teen addicted to drugs, in jail or in a gang. He or she is struggling to make ends meet and keep the children out of trouble. There's a huge chip on the shoulder because jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton make them feel like all white people are out to get them. They don't aim higher because they have been told a white person will prevent them from getting a better job and they are consumed with the feeling of victimization.Typically, they are racist against whites and justify it by saying all whites are racist against them. The leaders scapegoat whites for failure. I have known the exception. A successful black person doesn't carry around racial baggage and feel confident not victimized.

User Detail :  

Name : Kathy, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 37, City : Fresno, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower class, 

Greg
    Friendly, chatty, loud, funny and intimidating. Intimidating in the way that black culture has this insular quality to it that I have a hard time relating to. It's also hard because being white, I feel like I have to be extremely sensitive around all minorities, especially blacks, so that I won't look like a stupid jerk. Black women can be really intimidating. They're the last people I ever want to get into an arguement with, because when they get pissed, it's over. Like if I say something that's just completely wrong, I won't get a second chance because I'll be branded a racist forever. Black women seem to be louder that other women, but I can't say for sure because I live next to a family of loud black women. It could be something that's been ingrained through the years and it just stands out when it happens. As a whole I think black people are alright, I'm just nervous about coming across as racist.

User Detail :  

Name : Greg, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 19, City : Oakland, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Coolcat32017
    Participant
    I'm having a hard time responding to this question. When I think of African Americans as a whole, to be perfectly honest, I feel wary and even a little frightened. I've restled with this a lot because I know there is not logical reason to feel this way and I wish I didn't. Maybe being white I feel like they see me as an enemy? Having said that, these feelings don't extend to black people that I know personally. Once I get to know someone it's impossible to see them as anything other than an individual. In the end how people look and act has more to do with their immediate family, social groups and just their own special selves, rather than race. I couldn't tell you what the typical black person is to me because individually they are all completely different. So I guess my answer is that I'm really confused. I understand that people aren't deffined by racial stereotypes and I've seen that to be true, but at the same time I experience a certain ammount of fear when reflecting on the African American community as a whole.

User Detail :  

Name : Coolcat32017, City : Toronna, State : NA Country : Canada, 

Ashlee
    Participant
    It seems to me that black women appear much more comfortable with their bodies. While there's a massive epidemic of eating disorders and bodily insecurity among white females, most of the black women I know exhibit a healthy attitude toward their weight, whether they be obese or rail-thin. Their shape doesn't seem to define them, or their relationships with men. While I don't advocate obesity or lack of attention to a healthy diet, I definitely think white women would be well served by adopting what appears to be black womens' positive attitudes toward their bodies. My views on blacks aren't related to the race, per se. There is plenty of white trash, black trash, and trash of all kinds. I think behavior, attitudes, etc. are more related to class and upbringing than anything else. I've worked with incompetent, uneducated blacks who are quick to cry racism any time they're criticized or demoted. I've also worked with extremely educated, professional blacks who have a strong sense of personal responsibility and look down on those who 'play the race card.' Similarly, I've worked with plenty of lazy whites who avoid responsibility for their own failures (although they usually attribute them to something other than overt racism).

User Detail :  

Name : Ashlee, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Western European American, Religion : Episcopalian, Age : 33, City : Lakeland, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Kerrie26484
    Participant
    There is no 'typical' black person... We are rich, we are poor We are friendly and unfriendly we are religious and atheist we are pet lovers and pet haters we are gay and straight married and single ambitious and not so ambitious we are university presidents, CEO's, factory workers, teachers, lawyers, farmers, actors, homemakers, journalists and students.... There is no 'typical' black person

User Detail :  

Name : Kerrie26484, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 23, City : Raleigh, State : NC Country : United States, Occupation : Media Relations Representative, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.