The meaning of luck

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

James D.
    Many people would consider me rich - I sold my business and am relatively well-off. People think of me as "lucky" - lucky to be born white and smart, lucky my parents encouraged me, lucky my business succeeded, etc. But to me, that kind of "luck" is different from the luck of winning a lottery, marrying someone with money or inheriting money. I worked hard to get where I am, and I do consider myself lucky, but unlike a lottery winner I believe I earned my place in life and deserve it. Do other people see those two kinds of luck as separate? Or do people who are not as well-off as me think I am "just lucky," the same way someone who inherited wealth is?

User Detail :  

Name : James D., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 47, City : Summit, State : NJ Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

EJ
    Participant
    Don't 'they' say that 'luck is what happens when opportunity meets preparedness'? Many of the factors that you attributed to 'luck' actually have an element of skill to them. Being white isn't a guarantee of success (despite some views to the contrary), and owning a business doesn't guarantee success, either. Being smart? I suppose that luck factors in by way of not having any physical or mental defects that would prevent you from being so. Having a good education helps in that area too, and yeah, that can involve luck, but skill as well. Again, lots of people go to great schools and squeak by with a low C average, or worse. The lottery, on the other hand, embodies 'luck'.

User Detail :  

Name : EJ, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Deist, Age : 35, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Q man
    I believe I can provide the answer to you. Bear with me thoguh, as this is not an easy subject. In essence, all aspects of life are ruled by the universal Law of Causality: cause and effect - we sometimes refer to this as Karma. The word Karma, however, does not and should not entail any esoteric meaning. It simply means 'action.' Having stated that, then we can think about how the concept of causality can apply to your life. Very simple. Karma is thus the accumulation of effects from the good and bad causes that we bring with us from our former lives, as well as from the good and bad causes we have made in this lifetime, which shapes our future. Karma is created by actions - our thoughts, words and deeds - and manifests itself in our appearance, behavior, attitudes, good and bad fortune, where we are born or live - in short, everything about us. It is all the positive and negative influences or causes that make up our complete reality in this world. There you have it. Luck or fortune then is entirely created by oneself. You control it. It's like an investment; if you are wise, a good investment will manifest good results. A bad one well, it will simply suck. There is no such thing as an external 'being' or 'deity' in charge of life or any aspects of life; life is a self-sustaining, always-evolving phenomenon of which we are just one conscious facet.

User Detail :  

Name : Q man, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Buddhist, Age : 34, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

A.C.
    Participant
    The real problem here is not about luck, but about opportunity. We all know the playing field is not level. There are many who are very talented but have to work harder than you may have had to. So when they say 'luck,' I believe they are referring to your good fortune in having the opportunities, education and resources available to you as you grew up, support system at home, etc.

User Detail :  

Name : A.C., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Deaf, Race : Mixed Race, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 32, City : Tucson, State : AZ Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Anne
    Participant
    I consider myself lucky in many ways, but also realize that it is hard work that gets me places. I was lucky to be born to caring parents who stressed education and a hard work ethic early on, so that I didn't have to completely create opportunities for myself later, like so many have to. I don't consider acing a test or getting a job lucky because I studied and prepared for it beforehand. Sometimes I say 'good luck, even though you don't need it!' The harder I work, the luckier I become, as Thomas Jefferson said.

User Detail :  

Name : Anne, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 21, City : Cedar Falls, State : IA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Steve
    Participant
    This reminds me of something I saw on TV pm Sixty Minutes, I think it was. They took two guys identical in every way; education, build, mannerisms, dress. There was only one difference between the two, one was black, one white. They followed them around to the same job interviews, hotels, all sorts of places. The differences in the way they were treated was astounding. My point is, you are lucky if you are white; people treat you different. Hard work has a lot to do with what you make of your life, but a black person has to work a lot harder for the same things a white person does in this country. Society makes it that way. People of all races will think 'they' are different, 'they' treat everyone equally, but it's hard to keep one's mind and attitude from the stereotypes driven by today's society.

User Detail :  

Name : Steve, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Religion : Atheist, Age : 43, City : Tucson, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : Retired Military/student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Danny Harbison
    Participant
    This is a misconception that has been put out there by the left in their attempt to engender class warfare. You are not lucky. You have done the things you needed to do to get where you are. You have gotten the education and skills you need. You've worked long hours and have made sacrifices to get where you are. I grew up what can be best described as poor white trash. I decided I wanted out of that situation and have done the same things. I don't consider myself lucky, and I consider those who do consider me lucky as being victim wannabes.

User Detail :  

Name : Danny Harbison, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Asatru, Age : 40, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : Teacher, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Tommy24153
    Participant
    I would consider myself lucky: white, male, upper-upper middle class, spent most of my life on heroin and cocaine... It was fun, really, fun - and now I'm going to one of the top 10 schools (because of who my dad is) in the country. I remember talking to my lawyer for my latest larceny charge and she told me I had three things going for me: I was white, upper-middle class and young. Am I lucky? Yes. Am I proud? No. Would I trade my place with anyone? No. Luck and greed run the same course and once you look back, you'll never be the same.

User Detail :  

Name : Tommy24153, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 22, City : Raleigh, State : NC Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Betty
    He did work hard, he did strive to become educated, he did make sacrifices, and he did earn his place as he said, but the point is that he was fortunate to have been born with qualities that benefit him in this society and to have had parents that encouraged him (I don't think the success of his business was all luck). If he was born with disabilities affecting his intelligence and to parents who were discouraging, he could've still gotten to where he is now through hard work and perseverance, but he would've had a harder time and he probably would've had to sacrifice more. I don't believe he got where he was because of pure luck, but I believe his circumstances were more conducive to his success than others. I don't believe that bad circumstances should excuse one from putting effort into improving their lives, but I think it's an important thing to consider when trying to understand someone.

User Detail :  

Name : Betty, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : Asian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 17, City : Medford, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

A.C.
    Participant
    The real problem here is not about luck, but about opportunity. We all know the playing field is not level. There are many who are very talented but have to work harder than you may have had to. So, when they say 'luck', I believe they are referring to your good fortune in having the opportunities, education, resources available to you as you grew up, support system at home, etc.

User Detail :  

Name : A.C., Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Deaf, Race : Mixed Race, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 32, City : Tucson, State : AZ Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

JB
    Participant
    Not to belittle your accomplishments and hard work, but there are many hardships you have not had to endure. Being born white, male, smart, with encouraging parents puts you in a definitely lucky minority. If you doubt that you have won the equivalent of a genetic lottery, talk to an orphan who has just 'aged out' of foster care. Hard work and perseverence are not always rewarded with a comfortable standard of living in this country (or even a safe standard of living). From the perspective of those of us in the lower tax brackets, there are too many folks with wealth telling the half-truth that 'hard work' got them where they are today. To do that is nothing short of cruel. Surely you know that the people who scrub your toilets and do your laundry work far harder than you ever did. Count your blessings, and do it quietly, please!

User Detail :  

Name : JB, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 32, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : graphic artist, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Ben
    Participant
    You are partly right. I am a liberal, and find it astonishing that people don't realize the existence of economic race discrimination. But I do realize that 'opportunity' is only a part of it. The rest comes with persistence and making a plan for yourself. 'Luck,' on the other hand, does not exist. Its existence is a superstition. 'Good fortune' exists, however. You can be fortunate enough for things to be going your way. Don't expect it to last too long if you don't take pride in the actions you took to make them that way, though.

User Detail :  

Name : Ben, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 26, City : Audubon, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Waiter, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Vail27406
    Participant
    I guess many of us just think 'lucky' as in "I wish I had it." It's based more on envy. Yes, sounds like you've earned it, and you've no doubt also had some good fortune, as well as beginning with some advantages. But I think being lucky that something didn't happen to thwart your plans and goals is the same sort of luck as winning the lottery. The difference is that you can't apply your skills and advantages to winning the lottery.

User Detail :  

Name : Vail27406, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : mutt, Religion : Atheist, Age : 40, City : Philly, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Sarah-M28373
    Participant
    Gathering from your reference to the 'left's attempt to engender class warfare' I wonder if you lean toward the right or maybe you don't but find this aspect of the left irksome. I don't loathe people who have done well, especially those who are reaping the rewards of working hard. But I am deeply concerned about the powerful influence of those who are super wealthy and giant corporations. Situations such as Enron, Walmart's treatment of employees and the spread of giant corporations driving out smaller businesses lead me to believe that corporations will over time create a forever-increasing divide between the rich and poor. Do you believe that there is the possibilty of too much greed? Do you think that human costs (living wages,etc.) should be considered? Why or why not?

User Detail :  

Name : Sarah-M28373, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 26, City : Portland, State : OR Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

Jessica
    Participant
    I believe you earned your place in society and it IS great that you had encouragement and all that goes along with it. There are, however, those who are less 'fortunate' and deem themselves 'down on their luck'. Those who do not have all that you do are simply envious - and they wish that they could have that life or be as 'lucky' as you. Life is like a deck of cards, you play the game you're dealt. You worked hard and you deserve all the 'luck' you've received. Enjoy yourself and encourage others to work hard, go after something they truly believe in and they may just turn out to be as lucky as you!

User Detail :  

Name : Jessica, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 19, City : Mississauga, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Admin, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.