Shades of etiquette

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

T-Sands
    Participant
    What is the proper etiquette when referring to someone who is black or black and white? What is offensive? Is 'colored' considered racist?

User Detail :  

Name : T-Sands, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 32, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Sales, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Monique20335
    Participant
    The best term in my opinion to refer to someone who is black is African American; it doesn't sound so blunt, and doesn't emphasize race. For example, some people may say 'That black woman over there is the president of this company,' as oppose to 'The woman who is African American is the company's president.' The latter sounds a lot better because it puts emphasis on what she does, as opposed to her race. I am a black American, so when someone outside my race refers to me in terms of race, African American sounds better. To someone who is a mixture of black and white, the best thing to say is that that person is of African and Caucasian descent or heritage.

User Detail :  

Name : Monique20335, Gender : F, City : Ft. Myers, State : FL Country : United States, 

michelle
    Participant
    I have a niece who is biracial, and this is the word I have most commonly heard used to describe her race. Her mother is white and her father was black. She is also absolutely gorgeous. I am a very proud aunt. But back to your question, I do not think 'colored' is a good choice, too old of a word and for some, could be taken as negative. I usually refer to African Americans as black, and I think that is commonly accepted as appropriate and the equivalent to calling Caucasions white. When asked what race my niece is, I reply that her father was black and her mother is white. However, in general, I think biracial is the appropriate term when speaking about children whose parents are from different races.

User Detail :  

Name : michelle, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 25, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : sales, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Cynthia31785
    Participant
    So the term 'African-American' can only apply to those who are US citizens, and probably people who are multigeneration American. Recent immigrants and children of immigrants would probably prefer to be called Country of origin-American.

User Detail :  

Name : Cynthia31785, Gender : F, Race : Asian, Age : 23, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : Graduate Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Serene28062
    Participant
    Is it possible to refer to this person by name? If speaking of someone you know, I would consider it proper etiquette to call that person by name. In what context would you be speaking of a person that would call for using a racial description? I can say that using 'colored' would date you, as this term has not been used in 50 years. Some people of African extraction prefer the term African American, but bear in mind that not all African Americans are 'black' or brown-skinned. Then there are people of African extraction, who are brown-hued and prefer to be called black. And there are black people whose heritage is not African. Then there are brown-skinned people who just want to be called American. It gets kind of complicated, so probably the simplest and most proper way would be to use a given name, unless, of course, you know this person well enough to ask what they prefer to be called.

User Detail :  

Name : Serene28062, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 43, City : Chandler, State : AZ Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Marron-B22134
    Participant
    It depends on what the person prefers. Some people prefer African American, some prefer black American. The rule applies for all nationalities. However, I can tell you one thing: the term 'colored' is not acceptable, and you should know that.

User Detail :  

Name : Marron-B22134, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 23, City : Anniston, State : AL Country : United States, Occupation : Clerical, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Aaron
    Participant
    Very simply, yes, it is offensive.

User Detail :  

Name : Aaron, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 31, City : Palo Alto, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Customer Service Rep, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Andres
    Participant
    Colored is certainly archaic, and because the term was in use during more 'offically' racist times, it would be offensive. It also seems to imply that 'colored' isn't normal, as though one is somehow less of a human because he or she is 'colored.'

User Detail :  

Name : Andres, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 25, City : Chambersburg, State : PA Country : United States, 

T.C.
    Participant
    This is a very good question. Serene's comments make sense, but there are indeed times when you might need to reference a specific individual and you don't know a name. For example, if I'm at the gym with my partner and we see two guys talking (one of them white), is it wrong for me to tell my partner, 'The black (or African American) dude is the instructor for my spin class' when the races of the two guys are their most obvious distinguishing features? Should I avoid using race to distinguish individuals altogether? Should I instead say something like, 'the dude in the red shorts' or 'the dude to the left' or 'the dude with his back to us' or 'the dude that is slightly taller'? It seems as if this could easily get ridiculous.

User Detail :  

Name : T.C., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 32, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, Occupation : Web Developer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

James20902
    Participant
    I don't understand why blacks are referred to as African Americans. Why can't they just be Americans? Maybe if they'd moved to the U.S. w/in their life time I would understand. But really, it's a joke. I had a roomate in college who was a real African American, she grew up there and she thought it was ridiculous that everyone with a drop of black blood referred to themself as an African American.

User Detail :  

Name : James20902, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Presbyterian, Age : 24, City : Leeds, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : Management, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Wayne C.
    Oh boy. This is a really good question. And possibly a touchy one. 1) First the bad. Do not refer to Blacks or African Americans as 'Coloreds.' We don't like that. Historical reasons and remember, white is a color too. 2)Outside of work, I use the term Black. I only use African American when I want to sound, oh, maybe more professional or whatever. Also if I am around Whites with whom I am not fully comfortable. If you are speaking with a Black friend, I would be surprised if they were offended by your use of the term Black. If the person is not a close friend, I recommend you use the term African-American, even though it is a mouthful for everyday discussions. 3) Current references to those of 'mixed race.' This is the touchy one. Hope I don't offend anyone here. Historically, they would be referred to as Black (or, now, African American. Even, in the past, mulatto. But DONT refer to anyone that way. That's really offensive). I have known quite a few people over the years where one parent was White and the other Black. They all considered themeselves Black. However, this may have been because they had little choice -- society considered them Black (which also basically meant 'tainted' to some parts of society. This is why they had no choice). Recently, many people with one White and one Black parent have begun to refuse to be identified as Black. I am not sure why. Many Blacks whose most recent White ancestors are a couple of generations back feel that these people are 'ashamed' to be Black. I am not saying this is true, I am saying it is the perception. They seem to prefer to be called 'bi-racial.' You might need to ask them what they prefer. But be prepared to defend why you are asking and why it is important.

User Detail :  

Name : Wayne C., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 41, City : Parsippany, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Marketing, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

S. Olander
    I feel the usage of the word colored when referring to Blacks to be inappropriate language. More over, the word "colored" is very demeaning due to the nature of the words usage during times of segregation in the 50's and 60's. During the times of segregation, racist and bigots used the term "colored" to represent, to describe, and to liken the African Race to objects of less importants. Today, the usage of the word "colored" can still have the same negative connotation. However, my African friends and African co-workers do not have a problem with the usage of the word—colored. They feel that it is not a big issue to them if the word colored is used. Despite how they feel, they advise me that some Black Americans might find the usage of the word colored to be offensive. I personally don't feel comfortable using the word--.

User Detail :  

Name : S. Olander, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 38, City : Spokane, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : Aircraft mechanic, Education level : Technical School, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Hanna
    Participant
    Of course 'colored' is racist. It implies that white is the norm and if you are not pure white, then you are colored. How about making black the norm; then anybody who is not pure black would be called 'lightened'. Also, not all black people in America are African Americans, many of them are African Africans. If it is accepted to call white people white, then it should be accepted to call black people black.

User Detail :  

Name : Hanna, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 32, City : Seattle, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : House painter, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Diana
    Participant
    using the word 'colored' is taking the African American back into history.. they were called that as well as 'nigger' .. that would not be a good idea to use that word, when you refer to a black person, try African American... it shows them that you have RESPECT for them and their culture.. and that your not tryin to degrate them in any kind..

User Detail :  

Name : Diana, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : white/native indian, Age : 19, City : Ocala, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

rev-deb
    Participant
    Just call her equal

User Detail :  

Name : rev-deb, Gender : M, Age : 24, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.