Racism in the Gay/Lesbian Community

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

P.
    Participant
    I have a very naive question. Why is there racism in the gay community?When I first came out of the closet going on ten years ago, I noticed a lot of the social groups that I attended were majority Caucasian (I had no issue with that). The problems I began noticing were some of the whites practically thought of me as invisible. It was like I was practically ignored. I was not made to feel like part of the group at all. I also met someone in my early days who I thought was a friend, but he embarrassed me at a gay bar in front of his friends saying to them he knew I had a big endowment because I was black.I have even gotten attitude by SOME caucasian gays when I am out with my partner (who is white).I cannot understand for the life of me why a community that talks about diversity doesn't follow through!!! I realize the world is not perfect, but are people that ignorant?I have even gotten racist attitudes from African-American gays when they have found out that I am interested in white guys. Some of them (african-american gays) aren't much better.This seems like the dirty little secret that no one wants to talk about in the gay community.Haven't we been through enough??I would like to get other people's responses on this issue.

User Detail :  

Name : P., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Non-Denominational, Age : 29, City : St. Louis, State : MO Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.