Parents disagree with my black boyfriend

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Kathy-A
    Participant
    How do I make my white parents understand that the black father of my child is an important part of my life?

User Detail :  

Name : Kathy-A, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 32, City : La Crosse, State : WI Country : United States, 
    You didn't call him your husband, so I'm guessing you're not married. If you don't agree with marriage for whatever reason, have you tried talking to them? Finding out what it is they don't like about him? If its just his skin color, then you may need to make a choice: either cut your parents out of your life until they are able to keep their prejudices to themselves or risk your son growing up feeling as if he's "less" then his grandparents because he's not white. You can't change your parents: only they can do that. You can't make them understand anything if they choose not to understand. You've got to set healthy boundaries for the sake of your son: when he is around them, or in the room with you when they're on the phone, there will be no disparaging of blacks. With that said, maybe

User Detail :  

Name : ShellyStrauss Rollison, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : New Age/Metaphysical, Age : 49, City : New Alexandria, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Minister, writer, activist, CNA, draftsman, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Anita
    Participant
    They ALL need to respect (and SHOW respect for) each other. He needs to prove to them that he's a good choice for their daughter and grandchild - AND - they need to be open to seeing what he shows. Best of luck ... remember, it's really all about what is best for the child!

User Detail :  

Name : Anita, Gender : Female, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 49, City : Indianapolis, State : IN Country : United States, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.