Latino dating experiences

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Raquel
    I am Latina and have dated outside my race, particularly black males. I have never been mistreated by blacks; as a matter of fact, I received nothing but positive vibes. The opposite happened from people from my own community: I was criticized, harassed and called names. It makes me pretty sad to admit that. What have been other Latino men and women's experiences?

User Detail :  

Name : Raquel, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 31, City : Gary, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : Secretary/ College Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 
    Maybe, just maybe, the black men who've 'treated you well' are so eager to avoid black women that they're willing to cater to anyone of any race. Beware of any man of any race who treats you 'well' to the exclusion of his own female counterparts. He may have issues that you are not equipped to deal with.

User Detail :  

Name : Rhonda-P-Outlaw29989, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Lutheran, Age : 42, City : Laurelton, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Andy23936
    Participant
    Hi Raquel, I've noticed were I live, there is hostility between black males and latino males. Many times I hear about latino males jumping black guys in broad daylight. I think its because they feel black men are taken their women, and they feel threaten by that.

User Detail :  

Name : Andy23936, City : Phoenix, State : AZ Country : United States, 

Raquel
    I LOVE your name, first of all. Secondly, as 'bitter-sounding' as your other response is from Rhonda, there is some value in her observation. There are some black men who do exclusively date outside of their race as an avoidance of having to deal with a black woman, and thus they 'treat' their trophies (other races...women they feel they have had to earn) 'better' than they would their inheritance (Black women...women intended for them by birth). I have a male relative that way. Whenever I question him about why he never dates Black women, he says, 'I tried, it just didn't work out.' That 'I tried' translates into meaning 'twice in his life' and the minute there was some hesitation on the black woman's part to go as far as the Hispanic/White women he dated did, or as soon, he was no longer interested. He says it takes too much drama and work to get close with a Black woman because they have so much baggage. Theorhetically, one could say they have baggage because Black men treat Black women so bad until they are 'scarred' and then date outside of the race for women who don't know their tacky behavior as intimately as Black women do. They start over with a clean slate and treat the women respectfully, even though often, they aren't really respecting them. They are leeching out of them the things they can't often swiftly or readily obtain from a 'scarred' Black woman (sex, money, adoration). Whereas we are leery, other woman are trusting and open. Therefore, non-black women are easier to date and woo and handle. This isn't just rambling, this info is borne of actual research I've done for articles. Other Latina women probably have the same benefit that you do and often, the Latino family unit will dislike her decision to date a Black man because just like most Black families, they'd prefer if their people dated their own so as not to dilute the race/culture. I'm no hypocrite, I've dated other races, as well, but not to the exclusion of Black men.

User Detail :  

Name : Raquel, Gender : F, Age : 31, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, 

Kynn
    My wife(PhD student) does reseach on 'interatial couples', though lots of research has been done on white/black very little has been done on white/hispanic/black (or include into that asian, but didn't have a pool of asians big enough to test where we live). Point blank it is racism. Racism exist both with a sub-group and population as a whole. So far from the research as latino female you are lucky, almost any of the three races 'on average' will be better viewed then if you were a male crossing racial lines.

User Detail :  

Name : Kynn, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Methodist, Age : 28, City : Lubbock, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : nurse/student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Seymour
    Participant
    I'm a black male and I've been dating a latina for a few months. A latino friend of mine introduced us, but the minute we started hanging out without him, he became very jealous. I found this very confusing, since she and I weren't even dating (yet)...So given this, maybe latin guys are very possesive? And as for the whole cross-cultural thing goes, the guy who introduced us has and still goes for black women...So, who knows what's really going on? Personally, I believe blacks and latinos make good couples because we deal with a lot of the same struggles in society. I don't, however, have any qualms about a dating a black female ...*Just like MANY Latin guys I know*

User Detail :  

Name : Seymour, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 21, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

R-Ray30344
    Participant
    I think that every culture/race is protective of thier females. Perhaps it is because you (females) represent the continuation of your race...perhaps it sends a message of rejection to your race. I don't consider myself to be abnormally racist (for we are all racist to some degree)but it aggravates me when I see a black woman with a white man. Chalk it up to a flaw in my character?

User Detail :  

Name : R-Ray30344, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, City : Dallas, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 

V
    Participant
    I am not Latino, but I have and am currently dating a Latina. Based on her experience as well as other Latinas I have dated, surprsingly many Latinos do have issues with interracial dating. I have noticed that for many Latinos dating Blacks in particular is a 'no-no'. Location or geography plays a difference on the East Coast and in Florida, many people don't seem to mind. I find attitudes towards interracial dating, varies based on your Latin background. Latinos from the Carribbean tend to have no problems with it.

User Detail :  

Name : V, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 27, City : PHILADELPHIA, State : PA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Ana
    Participant
    I am Hispanic and am dating an African American who also treats me like a queen. The reason he does is that I make him feel like a king. What I am saying is that it is not so much the race of a man, it's how he is appreciated and treated by a woman. Treat a good man right and he will show the same for you.

User Detail :  

Name : Ana, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 35, City : New Orleans, State : LA Country : United States, Occupation : Legal, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Dirk
    Participant
    I am white and dating a Hispanic female. When we are around white and black people, we never have a problem. As soon as we are around Hispanics, they stare and even make comments that are quite often in Spanish (my girlfriend will not translate for me because she knows it will probably lead to a fight). I don't know what it is about the Hispanic culture that does not accept interracial dating.

User Detail :  

Name : Dirk, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 23, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Law Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

Wayne24378
    Participant
    Anyone who treats you extremely well but does not treat women of his own race well will probably have a ton of issues you really won't want to deal with. However, perhaps there is a difference between the black men you are willing to date and the Latino men you are willing to date. Perhaps you have a higher standard for the black men you choose. This means you could be choosing black men who would naturally only treat you well, while dating a wider variety of Latino men, thus being more likely to date Latinos who treat you poorly. Trust me, I know alot of Black men that treat any women they date poorly. I also know alot that treat any women they date as if the ground was made just for her to walk on.

User Detail :  

Name : Wayne24378, Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Age : 44, City : Parsippany, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Deborah-W25782
    Participant
    I dated several white men before I married my husband, who is Irish-American. And, yes, I did and still receive more flack from Latinos about being with 'white' or 'Anglo' men than the other way around. I tried to date U.S.-born Latinos before marrying my husband, but they were not interested in me. Strangely, I find it easier to be with men outside my ethnic/social class because they respect me. U.S.-born Latinos, especially Mexican American men, seem to see U.S.-born Latinas as 'sisters' or extensions of themselves, and, hence, take us for granted and are less willing to respect us.

User Detail :  

Name : Deborah-W25782, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Religion : Catholic, Age : 46, City : Denver, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Journalist, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Raquel
    That's a good point. I have heard that from many friends, so to hear you tell me that really opens my eyes even more. Thank you for your insight.

User Detail :  

Name : Raquel, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Hispanic/Latino (may be any race), Age : 31, City : Gary, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : Secretary/ College Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

John-L
    Participant
    I gotta agree with Rhonda. Especially in the UK, where believe it or not it's actually a shock and really rare to actually see a black couple. You rarely see any British guys with a black girl. At least 70-80 percent of all black males here have a white girlfriend. Unfortunately, the same doesn't apply to black women. I am not sure why this is, but a theory is a lack on pride of your own race/culture. Are guys more racist? Or are white and Asian and even Latin guys more proud of their heritage than black guys, which then makes black guys want to inter-breed more as a way to 'lighten' or enhance or even distance their culture? A common 'guy view' on this as well is that woman have less pride of their culture and heritage, which is why they tend to date opposite cultures more than men do.

User Detail :  

Name : John-L, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Asian, Religion : Christian, Age : 23, City : London, State : NA Country : United Kingdom, Occupation : Sales Advisor, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Doug-R
    Participant
    If you were criticized, harassed and called names before you started going out with black men, then I am at a loss to explain it. If, on the other hand, you became the object of such derision after you started going out with black men, then I know the answer and so do you.

User Detail :  

Name : Doug-R, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Mormon, Age : 60, City : Ripon, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.