Hyphenated-Americans have GOT to go!

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Author

Omodiende
    Participant
    You have the cart before the horse. The need for hyphenated identities is caused, in part, by the fact that those who are not some kind of white american are not TREATED as simply Americans but as Black, Latino, Asian, etc... besides there are huge cultural differences in these types of Americans (language, dress, food, religion) - there is no one type of american. So you should spend more thought on ways to make sure all people are treated as simply 'Americans' and that might remove this symptom of identity in a biased society. I do agree, however, that the proper term for African Americans should be American-Africans, since they are primarily, first and foremost, Africans living in America (cultural orientation as primary identifier with national locator as the qualifier).

User Detail :  

Name : Omodiende, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 40, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Matt T.
    Participant
    To me the hyphenating of Americans doesn't make us any less American. We all share this great country, but our experiences here differ. African-Americans all have one thing in common; we're all Americans decended from Africans which means something about our experience in this country. Identifying ourselves as African-Americans, or Asian-Americans, or Mexican-Americans helps us to come together to give voice to our specific concerns, triumphs, and challenges. One of the greatest strengths of our country is that it is filled with so many different types of people who love their country and are proud of where they came from. As far as reversing the hyphenation, well, it wouldn't make sense. In the English language the preceding word in the hyphenation acts as an adjective describe the noun that follows it. If we switched it, and were 'American-Africans' the 'African' would become the noun, and therefore the identifying word. It would imply that we were Americans living in Africa.

User Detail :  

Name : Matt T., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 25, City : Valley Village, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Allen30185
    Participant
    I agree and will not use the hyphenated lables. You are either black, white, yellow, red or brown, that about covers everybody. It always bugs me when newspaper articles list the hyphenated lables for non-whites but always refer to 'whites' as white. If we must use lables, lets just use the color.

User Detail :  

Name : Allen30185, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 57, City : Aurora, State : CO Country : United States, Occupation : Driver, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Joann
    Participant
    I think it is used to weaken us as Americans. Divided we fall united we will remain strong.

User Detail :  

Name : Joann, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 52, City : jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : R.N., Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Reyna29572
    Participant
    I wish it were that simple, but it's not. I wish 'the world could live as one,' at least America, anyway. It is one thing to be proud of your heritage and roots, but it is another to sunbathe on the rim of the melting pot. I like celebrating the fact that I am a second generation German-American, but I don't call myself that. My great-grandfathers brought their families here to avoid Hitler and to become part of a 'better' place. They came here to become Americans. I'm not saying to give up kraut and sausage for dinner, but hey, why not try BBQ for a change? That's what we came here for, right?

User Detail :  

Name : Reyna29572, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 23, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Jerome O.
    Participant
    You're looking at it in reverse, Andrew. The first part is an adjective. It'd be like saying you're a 'white male American.' You're American first and foremost, and of the white male kind. By using the hyphenation, we minorities are trying to hold onto our heritage (which is what makes us what and who we are) while celebrating the fact that we are American. Accusing us of not being interested in being American and saying explicitly that we should stop doing that is exactly like telling you to stop being white and male. Those are characteristics that have defined who and what you are. Just the same, being of Japanese descent has defined me and what I am. Denying it means denying a significant part of what made me who I am -- just as you can't deny all the aspects of being from Texas and how that's affected YOUR life. Finally, we minorities have to use those definitions because of the simple fact that we ARE minorities. If I say 'I'm American,' the assumption is that I'm white and male. Even I do it, and so does just about everyone else. It's just the simple characteristic of being a majority -- everyone assumes one is a member of that majority without any distinctions otherwise. We've 'allowed' ourselves to become a hyphenated society because THAT'S the freedom that America was supposed to promise, not the xenophobes that we've become.

User Detail :  

Name : Jerome O., Gender : M, Race : Asian, Age : 31, City : Sterling Hts., State : MI Country : United States, Social class : Middle class, 

Julie
    Participant
    While I can agree with your disdain for a hyphenated America, I cannot agree that 'this' is what is causing many of today's issues. I think that the hyphenation phenomenon is actually a result of today's issues.

User Detail :  

Name : Julie, Gender : F, Race : Black, Age : 33, City : Woodbridge, State : VA Country : United States, Occupation : Gov't Contracting, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Melanie S
    Participant
    I think being proud of who you are and where you come from is highly admirable. Of course, I am not a hyphenate as a Native American, but I wake up every morning glad that I am just that. My kids will have the great honor of being proud of who they are and have a sense of heritage in every step of their lives, and I don't think that anyone anywhere should be able to take anything away from that. We have overcome great stuggles to be where we are right now as a people, and I'm sure that there are many other oppressed people who came here to get away from that, yet hang on desperately to who they are to avoid being just another face in that melting pot that was spoken of. Right now there are more important things than being unenthusiastic about being 'American', people are dying, children are being born. If you can't be proud of who you are and proclaim it on every application, anywhere you can post it, I think that's just really sad.

User Detail :  

Name : Melanie S, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : American Indian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 29, City : Bellingham, State : WA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Operator, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Ron W.
    'I believe a lack of interest in being 'American' is causing many of today's 'issues,'...' Wrong... so wrong. To answer this question you must first ask yourself what 'American' culture is. Is it Irish? British? French? Portuguese? Is it even european at all? Is it really the culture(s) of the indigenous people who lived here 5000+ years ago? Is it the culture(s) of the Africans who were forcibly brought here 400+ years ago? (not that they were able to keep much of their cultures anyway) Is it the cultures of the Asian peoples who came here in the 1800's? These United states are the world's most unique experiment... an experiment like no other in the history of humankind, where a group of people have chosen to live together not because of their race, or religion, or ethnic background... but because of an idea... of a dream. Unfortunately, too many have come to this nation and learned the hard way that they will never be accepted by the (white) majority just as they are... their language (yes they should learn english but NOT throw away their native tongue), foods, clothing, mannerisms, etc. make white folks, for lack of a better word, uncomfortable. That lack of comfort leads these whites to either shun these people or try and change them into something more... palatable... to their sensibilities. This causes the hyphenation... people need to 'belong' somewhere, to some group, and when they feel they will never belong to the larger group, they will create their own. When they are made to feel as if they belong and they are accepted, REALLY accepted, just as they are, without changes or alterations, the hyphens will cease.

User Detail :  

Name : Ron W., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 38, City : El Cajon, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Artist, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

jummy
    Participant
    i understand your sentiment. i consider myself to be pro-american and often suspect that the hyphenation craze stems from anti-american shame that is taught to us in popular culture and various 'cultural studies' curriculum. on the other hand, we are a tapestry, and i generally sense that the prefixing and hyphenation is intended to speak to the american side of a person's identity as well as the other side it's paired with -- both with pride.

User Detail :  

Name : jummy, City : chicago, State : IL Country : United States, 

Kari
    Participant
    I think when you have a hyphenation like that it shows respect to your ancestors and where you come from. Also i am sure there are a lot of people out there who don't have much interest in being known as american because of our poor international relations at this moment.

User Detail :  

Name : Kari, Gender : F, Race : American Indian, Age : 17, City : tacoma, State : WA Country : United States, 

Dwanny
    Participant
    I agree! I believe in evolution and the fact that the human race evolved in Africa. So even though my skin color is pink, I have the right to call myself African-American! I've never set foot in Africa and I'm sure the majority of 'African'-Americans, haven't either. I wonder what ppl from Africa think about this? Feedback anyone? Jesse Jackson started this African-American thing up again, and I have no respect for that publicity whore, so I still say Black.

User Detail :  

Name : Dwanny, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Pagan, Age : 53, City : Springtown, State : TX Country : United States, 

Traci
    Yes, if you are going to be proud to be American, don't contradict yourself and stick another nationality in there with it. I am American with Irish and Scandanavian background. I am sure that some of the 'African-Americans' have African blood from a really long time ago, but have they ever stopped to think about The Bahamas, they are black. What about Indonesia? There are more places in this world that are predominately black than Africa. Come on people, get a grip and just be proud to be AMERICAN.

User Detail :  

Name : Traci, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : I am not really sure yet, Age : 27, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : Sales, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Andrew
    Participant
    I think it's because there is no true 'American.' The common 'American' is a WASP, though. And also, almost anybody can become an American, through naturalization and birth. We can all be identified as solely Americans, though certain issues are in regard to race and ancestral origin, which affect certain Americans, hence the Americans of African descent, Asian descent, etc.

User Detail :  

Name : Andrew, Gender : M, Race : Asian, Age : 19, City : Jacksonville, State : FL Country : United States, Occupation : College Student, 
Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.