Hyphenated-Americans have GOT to go!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 89 total)
  • Author

Orangeblossom
    Participant
    The American society will not let it go. Everytime you fill out a job application, companies want ways to idetinfy everyone. Male/feamle, young/old, colored/non-colored. Due to histories of injustice, including places outside of America, now people have to know this information to make sure they are not overlooking the likes and dislikes of other peopple. I have compassion for multiracial people who identify with all their ethnicities, yet they have to choose one. I live in Germany now, people identify me as American, and that's more than I can say for my own country.

User Detail :  

Name : Orangeblossom, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Christian, Age : 26, City : Ulm, State : NA Country : Germany, Occupation : housewife, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Tom
    Participant
    Although Teddy Roosevelt gave a famous speech about there 'not being room for hyphenated-Americans' nearly a century ago, I have always thought that it was a regional problem in the Northeast. It does seem to have spread. My father, who was from Virginia, always noted his surprise on moving to the Northeast that there were so many divisions. By this, he meant the number of ethnic clubs. Although their signs can still be seen on many old buildings, these clubs seem to have evaporated. I suppose that some of the recent increase must be the resultof the politics of division. If you do not align yourself with an 'interest group' you are liable to be overlooked. As I wrote this, I reviewed American history in my thoughts. I suspect that it has always been so. Regardless of our 'nation of immigrants' status, we have rarely been kind to new arrivals. It is reasonable that they should band together.

User Detail :  

Name : Tom, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 54, City : Boston, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Developer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

W. Jones
    I understand your frustration, but I use African American becuase 'Black' doesn't fit. I am light-skinned and there are many racial mixtures in my bloodline. African-American describes what I am, an American of African descent, which implies this unique history where one-drop of Black blood used to make you Black. I won't dwell in the past, but history helps us understand. Most hypenated Americans didn't start this race classification thing. For generations all we wanted was to be just plain Americans. My grandfather and father tried by going to war, going to school, opening businesses, buying homes, but were still classified and limited by racial terms they did not invent, colored, Negro or the plain ol' N word. Fast forward to now. Things are better, but many Blacks only overcame the inferiority taught to them by looking to Africa (realities and myths) so they include that in their identity.

User Detail :  

Name : W. Jones, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 40, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : communications, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Justin
    Participant
    Hey I'm with you I came from a middle class family and we did ok financially but when it came to colleg being a average white male I got jacked when it came to scholarships. Because the only thing I had was being white and they don't have white scholaships as far as I know. Another thing I don't like is being treated differently from whatever race you want to choose, I work around different people from all walks of life every day and I try to treat everyone equally. Being treated equal is the only way to have a completly unified America, and all this hyphenated crap just keeps us even more seperated, let alone the tv channels such as BET black entertainment television. If whites had a channel named that what would that be???? I believe the only real racism that I see in my corner of the U.S. is either reverse racism or people walking on ice because they are afraid to offend someone let alone the law suits generated from all this.

User Detail :  

Name : Justin, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 23, City : Kansas City, State : MO Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dianni St. V.
    Participant
    I believe it is good to embrace our hetitage, and yes, a large part of that is that we are Americans. I don't think we will have a color-blind or culture-blind society until we stop all the talk about it and stop labeling and dividing ourselves into groups of one sort or another, though we should maintain our individuality and our heritage is part of that.

User Detail :  

Name : Dianni St. V., Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 54, City : Crescent City,, State : CA Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Courtney
    I disagree with you but I know some people that do agree with you. I believe that what is so great about North America is that we are diverse and have many cultures. We have the right to identify with a certain culture or religion or ethnicity. I live in Toronto one of the most diverse cities in the world. Sure we have problems with rascism but generally everybody gets along, you know us good old Canadian peace-keepers, eh? When people ask me what nationality I am I tell them that I'm Native-Canadian, British, German, and Ukranian. Our countries were founded by different ethnicities we shouldn't all jump in the melting pot but be a mosaic, almost like a quilt, all different patches but all joined by being of the same continent.

User Detail :  

Name : Courtney, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Native American/British/German/Ukranian, Religion : Christian, Age : 18, City : Toronto, State : NA Country : Canada, Occupation : University Student, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Mr-J-Reid
    Participant
    I agree with Andrew of Dallas. I'm tired of separating groups with hyphenated designations. We are all Americans. I preferred when America thought of itself as a 'melting pot' instead of the PC diversity 'salad bowl'. We should emphasize what we all have in common -- not where some anchestors came from. Americans, by nature, came here to leave somewhere and they're free to go back. Be an American first..love this wonderful country! J. Reid

User Detail :  

Name : Mr-J-Reid, City : superior, State : CO Country : United States, 

patricia b
    Participant
    I agree with you, Andrew, i think if you are born in this country, or become a citizen, then you should simply be an American. It is very often, very obvious what a person's heritage is, ie: black people are predominently of African heritage, of course, not all, but all black people I know prefer being referred to as African-American. My mother was born in Scotland and became a citizen of this country at 11 years old. She has always considered herself 'American'. I have never thought of myself as 'Scotch-American', but as an American with a Scottish heritage, and as my father was part Norwegian, part Welsh, does that make me a 'scotch-Norwegian-Welsh American?' I think not. I am simply an American, as all citizens should be.

User Detail :  

Name : patricia b, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : fibromyalgia, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Congregationalist, Age : 54, City : mcallen, State : TX Country : United States, Occupation : disabled, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Middle class, 

Paul-C
    Participant
    I concur with Andrew's comment and believe that Americans have developed a tendency to emphasize their ethnic differences rather than the things we have in common. We need to return to the 'melting pot' idea that made America great and get away from our modern multi-cultural society which divides us.

User Detail :  

Name : Paul-C, City : Salt Lake City, State : UT Country : United States, 

Hughbe
    I just discovered 'yforum' today, and your question is the first one that got my attention. Andrew, I couldn't agree with you any more! It just burns my butt to hear people refer to --- Americans. I may be wrong, but I think that Teddy Roosevelt said that there is no such thing as Irish Americans, German Americans, etc. Either you're an American or you're not!

User Detail :  

Name : Hughbe, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 54, City : Manning, State : SC Country : United States, Occupation : retired, Education level : High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

thomas
    Participant
    I agree with the previous sentiment. even though a person's great- great- great- grandparents may have born in Ireland, or as a 'Native American,' or in Africa, does this entitle them to be called something other than American? if someone wants to live in America and be an American citizen, drop the hyphen. but if we are using hyphens, why arent white people called european-american. it sure beats the stuffing out of 'caucasian.' where did they get that name?

User Detail :  

Name : thomas, Gender : M, Age : 17, City : leavenworth, State : KS Country : United States, Occupation : student, Social class : Middle class, 

Stephani
    Participant
    I am Native American. Thats who I am first and foremost. I am not 'American' I am an American. People who represent that other part of their heritage are simply giving respect to their ancestory. To think that people seperating themselves from this label, is a bad thing- is wrong. Race labels have nothing to do with our country as a whole, and nothing to do with 'issues' in America.

User Detail :  

Name : Stephani, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Yes Please, Race : American Indian, Religion : Non Denominational, Age : 21, City : Beaverton, State : OR Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Richard
    Participant
    Andrew, please do realize that ours is a country of immigrants, children of immigrants, grandchildren of immigrants, etc. Therefore, despite the wishes of the power-hungry WASPs and their poorer, ignorant, and, sometimes bloodthirsty brethren - the rednecks - that this country is to be a 'melting pot,' it remains, healthily, a 'salad bowl' or 'smorgasbord table,' where we're together as Americans, yet we remember our traditions because some of us still keep in touch with our cousins and other distant relatives in the 'Old Countries.' That, my friend is good for America because we are the bridges between the U.S. and the world; we are little ambassadors. We also tend to be more open-minded and educated than you inbred lot of chauvinists who have, like Dubya, created the animosity that the world has for America. I am a Polish-American and proud of who I am and what my people contributed to America. Also, I, unlike you, do not have issues with any other person because of his/her nationality or ethnicity because all cultures are unique and beautiful. Would you rather have a garden full of only one type of flower? Or, wouldn't you say that a variety of flowers is what makes the eyes and the soul happy? Think about it! Besides hyphenated Americans are not disloyal Americans because what comes before the hyphen does not diminish or obscure 'American' - it only enhances it. As for treason, even 'real Americans' can be traitors because of a personal character flaw that is only their own. Peace and Best Regards!!! Enjoy the diversity of this country!

User Detail :  

Name : Richard, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Catholic, Age : 44, City : Philadelphia, State : PA Country : United States, Occupation : Social Worker, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Garrison-B
    Participant
    I actually find nothing wrong with most of them with the sole exception of African-American (no pun intended). Firstly, it assumes that everyone of color has ties with Africa (tell that to the Maoris of New Zealand or the Aborigine of Australia). Secondly, it assumes that Black people who are in the United States are Americans. I suppose since we are so multi-racial in this country, some folks like to take pride in their roots.

User Detail :  

Name : Garrison-B, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Gay, Race : Jewish-American, Religion : Wiccan, Age : 45, City : Grass Valley, State : CA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

larry
    I couldn't agree more. If you were born in the United States of America, you are simply an American. No if's, and's or but's about it. My roots are from Italy, but I don't consider myself to be an Italian-American. As a matter of fact I consider myself to be a native American, yet I belong to no tribes or Indian reservations. The sad thing is some people who give themselves a hyphenated nationality can't tell you where the country or region from which they are so proud to be from is located. It amazes me how people who claim to not want to be treated any differently or looked at differently will go out of their way to make sure YOU know they are not an average JOE.

User Detail :  

Name : larry, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 32, City : charlotte, State : NC Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, 
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.