He who smelt it…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Mark
    Participant
    I've noticed one difference between blacks and whites: the reaction to a fart! If I'm in an elevator filled with whites and someone farts, there is usually no comment, other than perhaps some rolled eyes. But if blacks are present, the reaction is often vocal and extreme: 'Omigod! Who did that?! Woah - that was intense!' Is this completely cultural, or is it possible that blacks have a more sensitive sense of smell?

User Detail :  

Name : Mark, Gender : M, Race : White/Caucasian, Age : 49, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Dean
    Participant
    It happens that I have been studying the reactions to a fart, and I offer the following conclusions:

1. Most children find farting comical, and react by sniggling.
    2. Cultures with a value on social sophistication will recognize a fart as a human frailty that is not always controllable. Proper etiquette would compel them to treat the release as an uncontrollable act not deserving of exposing the offending person.
    3. African Americans have developed a repertoire of comical responses that have undergone years of sorting under competitive pecking orders, resulting in coined phrases. There is no better sense of smell, but there is a social delivery that invites the releaser to respond in a one-upmanship challenge.

User Detail :  

Name : Dean, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 60, City : Fort Wayne, State : IN Country : United States, Occupation : Engineer, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Granny-A
    Participant
    How funny! I think, in general, whites are more uptight and would rather pretend that nothing happened. On the other hand, there is my husband, who once 'cut one loose' during a church meeting and raised his hand. (I guess to take the credit or the blame!) He and my stepson couldn't stop laughing the rest of the meeting, so it pretty much went downhill after that.

User Detail :  

Name : Granny-A, Gender : F, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Christian, Age : 52, City : Atlanta, State : GA Country : United States, Occupation : copy editor, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Mr-Black
    Participant
    Have you been in a lot of elevators with people farting to be able to come to this kind of conclusion? A person's reaction to something like that will be indicative of their age and overall level of matureness. It's not racial. You were just around some people who felt comfortable enough to joke with each other about a body function that is often used as a joke in comedy in various mediums (example: Terrance and Phillip on South Park).

User Detail :  

Name : Mr-Black, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Catholic, Age : 32, City : Miami, State : FL Country : United States, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper class, 

keri
    I know that white people in Australia (mostly my friends) joke about farts. I don't think you could just say it was about black or white people. I also notice there are white people who are extremely uptight about flatulence. I think it has absolutely nothing to do with race. more about who someone is individually and how comfortable they are in a situation! I joke about farts with certain mates, but not with others.

User Detail :  

Name : keri, Gender : F, Race : Asian, Age : 20, City : perth, State : WA Country : Australia, Education level : 2 Years of College, 

Floyd L.
    Look, while farting is natural, most farts are not accidents but intentional releases of gas. Except in extreme cases, farting requires effort, just like taking a crap does, and is often a prelude to such. My father certainly knew that and taught my other four siblings and I that farting in our small house, especially when others were likely to smell it, reflected indifference to others and was offensive because all farts stink. He would force anyone of us accused of farting in the house to go outside (to the outhouse), 'before you mess on yourself,' regardless of the hour or weather conditions. This cured us all from farting in the house or in the presence of others. He would often say when chastizing us about farting that 'you ain't white' and therefore 'should have better manners.' This was more than 50 years ago, and his attitude was not uncommon among blacks.

User Detail :  

Name : Floyd L., Gender : M, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Atheist, Age : 63, City : Memphis, State : TN Country : United States, Occupation : Retired, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

T. Mack
    Participant
    One group practices common goodness/manners/decency. Another group does not know how to act in public. Usually uncivilized. Some things never change. I know this is not very 'politically correct'. I refer you to Ralph Wileys book 'Why Black People Tend to Shout' or Larry Elders book '10 Things You Cant Say in America'. Two very brave and correct African Americans

User Detail :  

Name : T. Mack, Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Disability : Paralyzed, Race : Bi-racial, Religion : Methodist, Age : 27, City : Houston, State : TX Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, 

G
    Please explain your statement in greater detail. You can email me if you like.

User Detail :  

Name : G, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Religion : Baptist, Age : 27, City : tuscaloosa, State : AL Country : United States, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Julian T.
    Participant
    Where I grew up, farting is considered very impolite among adults. If someone feels they are about to release gas, they will ask to be excused and leave the area if possible. The worst kind is the silent kind, the smell is really offensive. As kids, if someone farted silently and didn't admit it for fear of being ridiculed, the rest of the kids present would start playing a sort of game to find the culprit. At the end, he or she would usually admit.

User Detail :  

Name : Julian T., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Chinese Malaysian, Religion : Christian, Age : 42, City : Kuala Lumpur, State : NA Country : Malaysia, Occupation : Financial Consultant, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Rudy L.
    Being further ahead on the evolutionary scale, and having a more acute sense of smell than other races, blacks are able to tell the difference between bullsh*t of this type of question asked and the truth.

User Detail :  

Name : Rudy L., Gender : M, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : White/Caucasian, Religion : Agnostic, Age : 70+, City : Passaic, State : NJ Country : United States, Occupation : Retired, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Upper middle class, 

Kristina26286
    Participant
    I think it is cultural among those who accept the stereotypical, ghetto image of what a black person is. A professional and mature black person wouldn't react in such a manner.

User Detail :  

Name : Kristina26286, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Straight, Race : Black/African American, Age : 23, City : Washington, State : DC Country : United States, Occupation : Homemaker, Education level : 2 Years of College, Social class : Middle class, 

Betty
    I blame such differences in reactions on upbringing. I was eating sesame candy in class one day, turned around to talk to a friend and the white girl sitting behind me said, 'OK, something smells. Someone should stop breathing or something,' obviously referring to me.

User Detail :  

Name : Betty, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : Asian, Religion : Atheist, Age : 17, City : Medford, State : MA Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Less than High School Diploma, Social class : Lower middle class, 

Ashley-B23480
    Participant
    Don't you think it is a bit uncivilized to fart in a small, air-tight area such as an elevator? And don't tell me it is a natural bodily function, because so is sh*tting but I don't do that in public.

User Detail :  

Name : Ashley-B23480, Gender : F, Race : Black/African American, Age : 22, City : Lansing, State : MI Country : United States, Occupation : student, Education level : 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 

Mark22121
    Participant
    I'm the original poster, and wanted to respond to some of the replies. First, this hasn't just happened once or twice - I wouldn't have posted if that were the case. I'm an educator, and have given hundreds of workshops over the years - to groups of all kinds. But only in African-American groups does a fart elicit such an extreme response. Second, I'm not defending farting, I'm just stating an observation - white groups almost always let a fart pass unnoticed, while black groups make a stink (no pun intended) about it. I guess it's a cultural thing - perhaps more whites are trained to suppress their reaction, while many blacks feel it's OK to let it all hang out. The difference is stark, though, and observed on numerous occasions.

User Detail :  

Name : Mark22121, Gender : M, City : New York, State : NY Country : United States, 

Covergirl
    It's neither. Some people just like to have fun! Including whites. I've experienced some white guys who like to act out when something happens. Usually blacks do it more, though, this I'll agree. So how you react depends on where you grow up and how you're raised.

User Detail :  

Name : Covergirl, Gender : F, Sexual Orientation : Bisexual, Race : Black/African American, Age : 25, City : Chicago, State : IL Country : United States, Occupation : Student, Education level : Over 4 Years of College, Social class : Lower class, 
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.